260 ai or 6.5prc

I'm not doubting that they are fantastic chamberings, it just feels way to pushy when every comparison thread turns into "you really need to go with an SS"
Here's an example of an appropriate time to push those offering.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/help-me-decide-on-a-wildcat.218003/
Again, because they are such a good performing cartridge, people want to suggest what will give a person the most efficiency and performance out of a specific set up, because people on this forum are generally friendly and helpful. It would be rather strange if people suggested poorly performing chamberings, would you feel you are being taken seriously if you asked about good 30 cal options and someone told you that you should really go with a 30-30?

I'm not doubting that they are fantastic chamberings, it just feels way to pushy when every comparison thread turns into "you really need to go with an SS"
Here's an example of an appropriate time to push those offering.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/help-me-decide-on-a-wildcat.218003/
And dont get me wrong, I know what your saying, they come up alot. But it's not any marketing scheme or anything like that, it is simply because of the outright efficiency of the cartridge, people tend to like that.

I love how every time a thread gets started comparing a few standard chamberings everyone starts recommending SS wildcats.. Just sayin

The only reason I mentioned the 6.5 SS was because he mentioned reloading.

Love my 260ai, had to get used to fire forming, but once that's done doesn't have to be done again for a while. Was hoping to get a little more velocity out of it, but it is what it is. The 6.5 SAUM is a great cartridge as well, just feel the 6.5 SS is a bit better and has more useable case capacity.

I've narrowed it down to a 6.5 PRC or Saum. The brass for the 6.5 ss is to pricey. Now which action the Bighorn origin or defiance Tenacity?

Agree - the 6.5x284 is falling out of favor for many of the reasons listed.

The PRC should get you to 3000 rounds at least. The GAP has shown 2500 with no decrease in accuracy during PRS competitions with GAP saying they have had barrels make it to 3000.

The PRC is a modified 6.5 GAP - period. It was derived from the GAP and designed by GAP for Hornady. If you want the option of OTC ammo, lots of components, and a big company backing it - go with the PRC.

IMO - if you want the absolute best all around 6.5 on the market today, will hand load, and want the ability to run the best combo of velocity, accuracy, and barrel life, the GAP has to be the choice.
How can two rounds, almost identical in performance, have such a different round count to failure? That doesn't check.

Gentleman, I'm wanting to build a lighter weight 6-800 yard steel/hunting rifle. I would like to shoot antelope/deer and possibly a elk. I am a seasoned reloader and own numerous calibers but I'm missing a 6.5 in my collection. I'm going to use a Proof carbon barrel and manners stock but I'm torn between a Defiance tenacity for the 260AI (they don't make a mag boldface) or a Bighorn Origin for the PRC. What's everyone's experience or suggestions?

The 260 is a 308 based cartridge that has a standard bolt face and has a case capacity of about 50 grains.

The 6.5 PRC is a magnum and has a magnum bolt face it is almost the same case (.037 shorter in length)as the 300 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) it will hold 65+ grains of powder and has a 100 to 150 ft/sec advantage over the 260 AI .

There are advantages to both depending what you want and case availability. The 260 can be formed using 243, 708 and 308 cases not counting the 260 rem cases

The 6.5 PRC cases are much less in supply and I would recommend buying 2 to 300 new cases before you start the build just to have a good supply. the short Mags also need a center feed magazine to solve any feeding problems.

Both should be able to do what you want, so the choice is yours.

J E CUSTOM

The 260 is a 308 based cartridge that has a standard bolt face and has a case capacity of about 50 grains.

The 6.5 PRC is a magnum and has a magnum bolt face it is almost the same case (.037 shorter in length)as the 300 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) it will hold 65+ grains of powder and has a 100 to 150 ft/sec advantage over the 260 AI .

There are advantages to both depending what you want and case availability. The 260 can be formed using 243, 708 and 308 cases not counting the 260 rem cases

The 6.5 PRC cases are much less in supply and I would recommend buying 2 to 300 new cases before you start the build just to have a good supply. the short Mags also need a center feed magazine to solve any feeding problems.

Both should be able to do what you want, so the choice is yours.

J E CUSTOM
While the 6.5 uses the 300RCM parent case, and utilizes a magnum bolt face, it's not really been considered, or identified as a magnum....No more then the 6.5x284N is considered a magnum with its near identical case capacity and performance. Usable case capacities of both(along with a few other wildcats)fall in this 30-06 capacity region, but using short/fat dimensions. I think the likes of the 264WM, 260 Nosler, the Sherman's, etc. cross the divide into what one would think of when seriously considering 6.5 magnum territory, IMO.

While the 6.5 uses the 300RCM parent case, and utilizes a magnum bolt face, it's not really been considered, or identified as a magnum....No more then the 6.5x284N is considered a magnum with its near identical case capacity and performance. Usable case capacities of both(along with a few other wildcats)fall in this 30-06 capacity region, but using short/fat dimensions. I think the likes of the 264WM, 260 Nosler, the Sherman's, etc. cross the divide into what one would think of when seriously considering 6.5 magnum territory, IMO.

As a builder, I look at the requirements of the cartridge and a magnum bolt face, case capacity and SAMMI pressure all lead to the 6.5 PRC as being a Magnum. With a case capacity matching many magnums and the ability to push 140 grain bullets over 3000 ft/sec I would call it a magnum.

The reason I pointed this out is the rifle requirements and the difference in the two so the OP could make the decision. I have no malice against any cartridge and own both the 260 and a RCM.

There will always be something Bigger in almost any caliber but there are so many cartridges that are almost ballistic equals They have to be placed somewhere and if they have magnum characteristics that where I would place them.

It really doesn't matter what we call them, just the difference in the requirements and the performance. :cool:

J E CUSTOM

People get so completely hung up on numbers. Manufacturers push MV and BC until its all anyone is talking about.

90% of people I talk to and 100% of people I shoot with cant shoot or read wind well enough to take advantage of that last 80 fps or .01 BC.

The number 1 thing I look for when building a new rifle is a long history of inherent accuracy. I want a cartridge that has a long history of delivering consistent accuracy day in and day out. ( look at what the F class guys are shooting )

After that im looking at barrel wear. Im gonna stay away from anything that moves a throat substantially in the first couple hundred rounds. I want an efficient case that delivers good MV for heavy bullets and gradually wears the rifling back in a slow even manner.

This is whats gonna get the Job done day after day and hunt after hunt. Thats just me.

I run a .260 AI with a 29" barrel and get pretty good performance using Peterson SRP brass and Reloder 26

147 ELD-M @ 3040
140 Berger VLD @ 3070

Have ran these nodes with these bullets naked and HBN coated, and consistency is noticeably better HBN coated. This is with a throat set to .260 SAAMI length, and they are both right around 2.900" OAL seated .005" off the lands. I'm running them in an AICS DBM using ARC mags. I personally love a 40° shoulder, partially because I'm lazy and don't like to trim brass. My Lapua brass went 12 fireings before I lost primer pockets and I trimmed it twice.

If you are considering the .260 AI then you obviously reload and aren't repulsed by the idea of forming brass. Your also considering going with a magnum bolt face and want to run in a short action. If you want the best/most efficient performance, to me, this only leaves a couple options.

Either the 6.5 SST or the 6.5 SS.

I am getting 6.5x284, 6.5 PRC and 6.5 GAP performance out of a .260 AI (granted, this is with a 3" longer barrel than standard), and I'm only burning 50ish grains of powder. Why would I want to step up to a magnum bolt face, burn more powder, get shorter barrel life, and get the same performance?

The 6.5 Sherman Shortmag has ADG brass available, and you will be around 3200-3300 fps with the 140's, and 3100-3200 with the 150 class bullets, and will be about 2.950" OAL. Go with the 6.5SST and you will loose about 75 fps, but will be more like 2.800" OAL, easily fitting in any short action, and still outperforming the 6.5 prc and the 6.5 GAP. Also, barrel life of the Sherman cartridges is reported to be as good or better than the others.

To me the ONLY reason to go with a 6.5 PRC is if you want more performance than a creed offers and need to be able to buy factory ammo. In that case, it is a great option. The 6.5x284 also has good factory ammo available, but that essentially steps you up to a long action. If that is what you have, I am a big fan of the 6.5x284 as well (also the 6.5x55 sweed, but I won't throw that into the pot...). Otherwise there are much better options out there for someone that doesn't need factory ammunition available.
Cody, have you ever used srp brass on ur 260ai?
What velocity will it do with say h4350 or h4831?

Cody, have you ever used srp brass on ur 260ai?
What velocity will it do with say h4350 or h4831?
I currently use Peterson small rifle primer brass, the 147's preferred CCI BR-4's, the 156's prefer CCI 450's. Just test early on in load developement, there was a pretty big difference in e.s. and a noticeable difference in accuracy. E.S. went from 50+ fps with primes it didn't like to sub 15 fps with ones it did. Accuracy was 3/4 MOA or so down to sub half MOA @100 yds.

And I haven't used H4350 as it is way to fast to get the best velocities going off of my results with slower powders and what other people have seen, I also prefer a higher load density, it seems to help get more consistent velocities. With H4831sc I was able to reach 3000 + or - with 140 VLD's, and the best top end pressure node was 2930 fps. A good powder that is very stable to try for top performance would be VV 565, it is very similar to RL26 in burn rate and energy from what I am told. I likely won't change much on my 156 load (49.0 grains rl26, .065" off lands at 2.950" OAL, and 2940 fps) for the remainder of the barrel. I'm somewhere around 1500 rounds and if I do everything right on the bench I still get 5 shot groups somewhere in the .3's, so I'm leaving it be until that changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts