260 AI

MU Ag Rho

I am looking at improving a 260 VLS everything is factory on rifle, how much better performance will I get and how easy on the rifling will this be. Have also kicked around making a 6.5-284 but if I did that I would rather put a 30 in barrel on it. If anyone is currently shooting a 260 AI I would be interested in some load data. I also should a 260 in a mountain rifle, but that is really more for my wife, not long range. Thanks

Aussie

.260 Ackley should hold about 7% more powder than standard based on what you get with improving the .243 which is basically the same case .
Work on about 125 fps more and you probably won't be disappointed . Will reduce capacity of a Rem. magazine to 4 rounds but should feed without modification if my .243 Ackley is any indication .

MU Ag Rho

Aussie, thanks for the reply, I tried sending a personal message but could not get it to go through.

fredj338

I've just started shooting a .260AI & like it alot. The increase in vel. is probably less than 100fps (no way you get 7% powder increase, more like 1%) but cases last quite awhile. I am using it for target & long range varmint. So far RL19 under 120-123gr bullets looks promising. It smokes w/ 90gr @ 3400fps+ from my 27"bbl.

260shooter

A friend shoots a 260 IMP with a 30" barrel and is getting geat accuracy with 142SMK at 2850fps with 43.0gr of H4350. I shoot the same load from a straight 260 and 26" barrel at 2740fps.
My Dad is having a 260IMP built with a 28" Krieger and i will have results from the gun in the spring.
It seams like a lot of benifits to an already efficient case.

260shooter

shotwell

I have a buddy shooting one. I don't know the loads. He's using a 140 Berger. He shot about a 8in group at his first 1000yd match.
I was there when he shot a PD 1220. I thinking shooting about 2900fps

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce