260 AI or 6.5 PRC?

One of the reasons why I say a 260 rem neck die won't work is the body of the 260 AI is blown out and has less taper. So I imagine the body near the shoulder of the 260 AI is going to contact any 260 rem neck die before any substantial sizing is done. I could be wrong but that's my reasoning.
You are correct.

I have a mod 700 in 260 Rem. Making it into an AI seems to be the reasonable thing, but I'm toying w rechambering to 6.5 PRC.

Is there a big enough difference between the two to justify the extra $$$?

I'd also like to chop it down to 22" from 24". It's for hunting and it wears a can. I'll deal with some velocity loss.

And … it's a bit heavy. I'd like to flute the barrel and replace the stock with a lighter stock. It's currently in a McMillan with an AICS mag.

Am I better off just buying another rifle?

To answer your first question, is there much difference?:
  • That depends on what powders are used and how hard you are willing to push your loads. Everything being equal there will be 100fps or less difference in velocity.
Regarding your idea with the barrel; assuming this is a factory barrel, you would be wasting $$ modifying a factory barrel. You can get a high quality after market barrel for the same or less cost by the time you thread, cut, flute and rechamber the factory barrel. I've never had much luck being able to successfully rechamber a factory barrel with acceptable results. You mention a McMillan stock but you do not mention which model. There are certainly lighter weight options. It all boils down to how much you are willing to invest in what at the end of the day will be an accurized Remington 700. IMO I would sell what you have and start over and build what you want. I've been down this path multiple times. If you never plan to sell, an accurized R700 will shoot good. But it will never be a custom and you will take a bath if you ever decide to sell.

Regarding which cartridge; IMO in your case 260AI is a no brainer. You have brass and only need to purchase a new sizing die. Speaking of brass, the PRC will never have as many options for brass as the 260. All major manufacturers make brass of the 260; both small and large primer; ADG, Lapua, Peterson, Alpha, and on the lower scale Nosler, Federal, etc….you can also always form it from 243, 7-08 or 308 brass in a pinch. You will lose almost nothing going from 24" to 22" barrel length in 260AI.

Personally I would have my own reamer made, get a carbon barrel of your choice to help with weight and look at Manners or AG Composite among others for a light weight stock.

Ok, so what I'm reading here is that I need to buy a new gun in 6.5 PRC.

I'm glad I have a clear consensus on this. 🙂
Lott'sa Guys on Here,.. LOVE to spend, op's Money !
Aka,.. Other People's,.. Money.
Plenty of guys on here, also think that, the 260 AI is,.. a Fine choice and, Cost, Effective !
Clear "Consensus",.. LOL !
Welcome to, the OPINIONS on,.. the Long Range, Hunting,.. "Show"

Last edited:
What about these Oregon Mountain Rifle prefit carbon fiber barrels?

I have a couple guns that I haven't used in 20-25 years that would be great actions to use. Rem 700 SA and Weatherby Vanguard LA.

The 700 could be a 6.5 PRC (can I get a mag SA bolt for this?) … as could the Vanguard.

Anyone use these or have actual firsthand (or secondhand) info?

What about these Oregon Mountain Rifle prefit carbon fiber barrels?

I have a couple guns that I haven't used in 20-25 years that would be great actions to use. Rem 700 SA and Weatherby Vanguard LA.

The 700 could be a 6.5 PRC (can I get a mag SA bolt for this?) … as could the Vanguard.

Anyone use these or have actual firsthand (or secondhand) info?
Regarding pre-fit barrels, pre-fit barrels are cut for a particular action that are designed to accept prefit barrels. The action and barrel tenon needs to be cut precisely so the head space can be set (for a shouldered pre-fit) when you screw the barrel on. If you're talking about using a remage or savage barrel nut and a prefit, you'll set the head space.

Regarding your caliber choice, I'd stick with 260AI. Def the easy button and the animal will not know the difference. However you can determine this yourself based on needs-determine max range you'd engage an animal and then plug in your bullet and velocity into JBM and look at your velocity and energy. Numbers will tell you what you need. That said, if you just want another rifle, then go for it. I have a friend who has several rifles in 260 AI and he and another friend have both taken elk with them. Very capable and very pleasant to shoot. Good luck.

So, I'm putting pencil to paper and still not liking my 260 (AI?) to hunt with. It's currently too heavy and too long so, that has to change.

I can rebarrel/or flute the barrel, chop 22" thread and rechamber. Buy a different stock and still have a gun that's sub 3k with 140's. Maybe get it to 7lbs? For how much $$$???

Or, I'll just buy a 26 Nosler with a 22" barrel to hunt with. 6.5 lbs and fast. Keep my 260 the same for ringing gongs.

Yes, more expensive, but I'd also have another gun. And that's always a good thing.
I would not buy a 26 nosler. Been around several and honestly they are a pia to load for and barrel life can be 700 rounds. Now if it just sits in the safe…. No worries then. Just something to keep in mind.

I would not buy a 26 nosler. Been around several and honestly they are a pia to load for and barrel life can be 700 rounds. Now if it just sits in the safe…. No worries then. Just something to keep in mind.
I like my 26 Nosler except Nosler seems to have abandoned it with no brass or ammo available. I realized it was overbore - I use it for hunting and have other rifles/cartridges for high volume target work. I would hesitate to buy any cartridge with the name Nosler on it as would assume it would not be supported. Hopefully 28 Nosler will be better supported.

I guess I made a decision. I bought $200 of 6.5 PRC ammo yesterday. 142 ABLR.

Now, I have to buy a 6.5 PRC.

I'm still pretty drawn to the Christensen Ridgeline FFT. For the money, it seems like a good buy for a light rifle.

I'll put my VX6 3-18x56 on it, which should put the package at 7.5 lbs w ammo in the gun.

Is there another rifle that puts me in this weight class that I should look at?