260 AI or 6.5 PRC?

Buffalobwana

I have a mod 700 in 260 Rem. Making it into an AI seems to be the reasonable thing, but I'm toying w rechambering to 6.5 PRC.

Is there a big enough difference between the two to justify the extra $$$?

I'd also like to chop it down to 22" from 24". It's for hunting and it wears a can. I'll deal with some velocity loss.

And … it's a bit heavy. I'd like to flute the barrel and replace the stock with a lighter stock. It's currently in a McMillan with an AICS mag.

Am I better off just buying another rifle?

I think since it sits in a McMillan and is set up for AICS mags a barrel change and bolt would be the easy button. That way if you don't like it you can swap in back to standard.

A new rifle like say a Savage Tactical in 6.5 PRC will set you back around $750 right? That's a bolt and barrel right there and you won't have to buy a new optics, rings and mounts.

6.5 PRC. Why mess with a wildcat when you can get same, likely better ballistics from a SAMMI spec cartridge. That would be an easy choice for me
True. That's kind of what I'm leaning toward, but I do have a ton of Lapua brass for the 260 and a simple reamer job gets me an AI.

Still, info to consider. Thanks.

Is there a big enough difference between the two to justify the extra $$$?
For credible comment, you would need to define 'difference'.
Brass, MV, Weight, Bullet (it all begins with a bullet), etc.?
It's similar to the common 'which is better' without a defining of better.

Given the track record of the 260AI,, all that's known about it,, the 6.5PRC would be more wildcat-like at this point.
Think about it. What is different and would be 'better' about a 6.5PRC than a 260AI?

True. That's kind of what I'm leaning toward, but I do have a ton of Lapua brass for the 260 and a simple reamer job gets me an AI.

Still, info to consider. Thanks.
Do the "Work" you mentioned, Lighten the Rifle up etc. and, Go,.. .260 Ackley Imp.
Shoot, the 140 Berger Elite Hunters or, 143 ELD-X's and, BE,.. Happy !
With the Great, Lapua Brass and SAVE, the Money ( No Bolt Face OR, Magazine,.. "work" needed ! )
You won't Miss, the Velocity Loss between, the 2 Cartridges,..
just a couple of, "Clicks" on the Scope Dial !
NO Game animal on, the Planet,will,. Squawk !

Last edited:
HANDS DOWN 260 AI, 8- 10 grains less powder, same velocity with 120 to 140 class bullets as the PRC within 10 to 15 Fps plus or minus (yes they can be faster than a PRC) cheaper brass, better barrel life. My word what's not to love, plus you can lay the gun down pull the trigger and it has about as much recoil as an angry pellet gun! Lapua Brass Fed 210 or CCI primer, H4350, H1000, Varner, all great powders. Attached is a picture of the last 260AI load development. 129 gr copper bullet all groups shot off a bipod and a rolled up Hoodie sweatshirt at 100 yards. Don't get me wrong I do believe the 6.5prc is a great choice but I don't think there is even a reason to have one when a 260AI gets the same or better numbers with less powder, and cheaper to shoot!

Attachments

• 7ECCEE75-17C9-40E7-A001-8EC4EC97C4AF.jpeg
    7ECCEE75-17C9-40E7-A001-8EC4EC97C4AF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
Side note run an 8 twist in a 260 AI, the 7.5 twist does not seem to produce the same velocity numbers as an 8. 7.5 twist so far has produced slower velocity with same bullet weights as an 8. With same leangth barrels (22 and 24in leangth) I've scratched my head on this for awhile, but it really does make a difference.