260 AI ?

Would A 260AI be worth the time ? I understand the reason for the AI on a -06 case but what about the .308 type case do you gain much? Iam looking to change the barrel on my 600 rem, the 6.5-284 probably would not fit? I shoot the 6.5x55 and -06 love them.

HI a 260AI would only give you a verry small advantage over a standard 260in a short barrel on a 600 the big problem you may face will be making the 40 degree shoulder case feed reliably. if you look around you should be able to get a slightly longer mag box i think Brownells has them to fit a 6.5-284 through the action. it all depends on how long a barrel you will be running the standard 260Rem is just a tiny bit smaller in volume than the 6.5x55 but it runs at a higher pressure so they are verry similar in ballistics. i believe if you are looking at a 22 to 24" barrel look at the standard 260 and if you want a bit more grunt try having the bolt opened to magnum and neck a 7mm SAUM down to 6.4 for a 6.5 RSAUM they work verry well and will feed through a standard model seven Short Mag magazine box and follower and a little relieving of the feed lips it is a great modification to have a faster 6.5 in a true short action.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I am using 260 Rem now. It replaced my 6.5x55. Performance is very similar. Both running 139grn Scenars at 2800fps. The up side with .260 is the .308 Win bolt face - lots of options if you get tired with it. The downside is potential neck doughnuts if you cannot seat the bullet out of the neck shoulder junction that depends on your mag length. I seat deep but neck turn and have not had doughnut problems so far. R&P makes brass but I necked up .243 Lapua cases. Next time I will try nrcking down Norma 7-08 brass.

6.5x55 has a lot going for it with 26 degree shoulder and a nice long neck, but really needs a long action and is not a common .308 Win head size.

On 6mmbr there is a review of Terry Cross .260AI which he is doing well with. The downside of that is less barrel life.

With .260 I expect 3K shots before I will notice the difference, with .260AI from what I have read about 2K. but depends on application BR, F class hunting etc I guess.

Not sure if the 40 degree shoulder would create more doughnut problems or not, in one of David Tubbs books he thinks the steeper shoulder creates more doughnut problems.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

david

[ QUOTE ]
I necked up .243 Lapua cases. Next time I will try nrcking down Norma 7-08 brass.

david

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi David stay away from the Norma Brass it is to soft in the Head and primer pockets dont last we have had good luck necking down 308 Lapua brass to give a thicker neck that can be turned if required to fit your chamber.

Cheers Bill
australia

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will stick with the .243 Lapua brass. Neck thickness is not a problem as I have .290 chamber neck so I need to neck turn whatever. I am not sure but I think by doing it on the .243 case you get a slightly longer neck than using 308 cases.

david

13.5 year old thread.....your Research fu is strong.
Not to mention there's a TON of BS in the first couple posts that has been strongly disproven since 2005... Like the whole 40º shoulders not feeding right nonsense.

I pointed it all out in my first post, but then decided it wasn't worth my effort, so I just erased it and typed "delete" instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.