26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
What twist rate is everyone using? Mine will be 1 in 9. I'm worried it will be too slow for the 175 ABLRs and 180 Berger I have.

Bruce Pooley

What twist rate is everyone using? Mine will be 1 in 9. I'm worried it will be too slow for the 175 ABLRs and 180 Berger I have.

Bruce Pooley
I'm shooting a 9.25" twist with 180 Hybrids in my 7mm STW, and have no issues so far. And I'm only at about 500ft. elevation...

With a 1:9 you shouldn't have a problem with the 180 Bergers. Never shot the ABLR's, so I can't verify for those...

Bruce Pooley

I've got a 1 in 8.5 coming.

Looking at potentially using the Berger 195s if they are ever released.

-nosualc

Unless the 175 is longer than the 180 you will be fine and I think its a bit shorter.

Here is a "window" case I made of the 28 Nosler, gives you a clear view of how much powder space is impacted with the ridiculous 3.340" length that Nosler set for this cartridge ... It is evident that this great new 7 banger screams to be let loose at 300 RUM length ... same holds true for the 26 Nosler and other calibers on this case as well .....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 73
Finally got me some of these to look at ! can't wait to send the 175's at 3400 fps ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 75
Do you think that's an achievable veocity? I was thinking I would be lucky to reach 3200 fps with H1000, 175 gr ABLRs and a 26" barrel with the 28 Nosler. My rifle hasn't ariver yet nor has my dies so I can't do development yet. Should I adjust my expectations to higher? That doesn't often happen in this field.

Here is a "window" case I made of the 28 Nosler, gives you a clear view of how much powder space is impacted with the ridiculous 3.340" length that Nosler set for this cartridge ... It is evident that this great new 7 banger screams to be let loose at 300 RUM length ... same holds true for the 26 Nosler and other calibers on this case as well .....

I just shake my head. The reason has to be something along the lines of they find the shortest mag OAL of a mass production LA rifle and set the COAL to it so they can get the most chamberings for the cartridge.

Also what is it with offering these rounds with short necks. I know we can make them work but you would think given most of the precision shooting world agrees at least a 1 caliber length neck they would at least run 0.285 not 0.259. They could take a tad off the case taper or bump the shoulder back a tad or a combo of both and not loose any capacity but have at least a 1 cal neck.

I made up a wildcat of the rum a few years before Nosler was released and it was almost a mirror image of the 28 except for a 0.330 neck, shoulder set back slightly and 40°, taper blown out ending up @ 0.010 with the same or a tad bit more real capacity (not the neck). Rich helped me tweak it just recently to send it off. I wanted it to keep COAL to 3.7 so it could still fit in say a CIP AI mag. The goal is shooting exclusively the 175 LRAB 180 and 195 hybrids. If the 195s end up being as good as we all hope that will likely be the bullet I run. Based on what I have seen from the 7mm-300wm and 7mm LRM with RL33 and a 26-28" I am fairly confident I will be able to find a top accuracy node for the 195 in the 3100 range.

The 3.340" is of course ridiculous but corporate ballistitions are corporate ballistitions. No insult intended Brian.

but

The potential of this chambering is very exciting for the rifle world.

After a little delay for time at work and to get the lathe and mill mounted before the last rain shower we had. Back to work.

Marshal of Matrix Bullets was so kind to send me some of the heavy weight VLDs.

For the 28 he sent 190.

The dimensions are very nice, boat tail angle and ogive.

The plan for the next shooting session is a light run with Final Finish to see it the barrel will speed up. When I cleaned it there was very little copper. After a clean up from the Final Finish run, then shoot the Matrix 190s.

QuickLoad says I should make 3200fps from this 24" barrel. So far the barrel has proven to be on the slow side but with the ~100fps slow, making 3100fps with a 7mm 190 would be just fine.

Mabey I have overlooked something here, but Fred would you mind sharing your load recipe? What powder are you useing, how much, etc? Just asking. Thanks.

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.