26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Awe well. Not the first one I've missed out on.

I've been looking for a .470" bolt face bolt to build a proper Mark V 9 lug 240 Weatherby Accumark or Super Varmint Master on. I will build it just like the Weatherby custom shop would using Weatherby correct parts including the Krieger cut rifled barrel.

I really like Mark V actions for customs.

That's what the original bolt went for. A 240Wby. I thought there was a nine lug 30-06 for sale somewhere but when I went back to look I couldn't find it.
Awe well. Not the first one I've missed out on.

I've been looking for a .470" bolt face bolt to build a proper Mark V 9 lug 240 Weatherby Accumark or Super Varmint Master on. I will build it just like the Weatherby custom shop would using Weatherby correct parts including the Krieger cut rifled barrel.

I really like Mark V actions for customs.

Update:

The 338/26-Nosler is done but it is quite a thumper with the original 24" Wby Alaskan barrel rechambered. I am having a brake put on.

The 308/26-Nosler is at the smith. 24" Wby barrel that started as a 30-06 getting rechambered and getting a brake borrowed from my R700 300RUM.

The 284/26-Nosler is at the smith. R700 300RUM barrel is getting swapped to a 24" Remington "Sendero Special" bull barrel, Has a brake installed. Just getting chambered and spaced.

The 277/26-Nosler is at the smith. 24" Remington take off 270 barrel and an action collected from parts that I paid much to much for but live and learn. Of course getting a brake.

Since these are all coming back as barreled actions, when I get back from hunting I will install a Pressure Trace II sensor on each and one on the 338/300 RUM and start documenting loads.

The smith has my action and barrel for the 375/26-Nosler. A P17 that is currently a 375H&HImproved with a strait 1.2 profile.

I return from a hunting trip Wed and will go see the smith Thursday or Friday.
While I was gone I hope he finished:
Brake on the 338/26-Nosler
Chamber the 308/26-Nosler from 30-06 and add abrake
Remove 300RUM barrel, chamber 284/26-Nolser from 7mm RM. Already has a brake.
Chamber the 270/26-Nosler from 270 win and add a brake.

I return from a hunting trip Wed and will go see the smith Thursday or Friday. No firearms or bows were used on this trip. This was a bird and small game trip. The "weapons" used are trained raptors. Suffice to say, if you want to eat, use a gun...

While I was gone I hope he finished:

Mark V: Brake on the 338/26-Nosler.
Mark V: Chamber the 308/26-Nosler from 30-06 and add a brake. All other action work done.
R700: Remove 300RUM barrel, chamber 284/26-Nolser from 7mm RM. Already has a brake.
R700: Chamber the 270/26-Nosler from 270 win and add a brake. Open the feed for magnum.

I have a big inletting job with the 284 because the barrel profile does not match any stocks that are ready to go. The barrel is a take off "sendaro special".

These are all on 24" factory barrels.

As soon as they are back, I will install the pressure trace ii sensors and get on it. I leave for a cow elk hunt on the 13th.

Sounds like a fun goal and I will be following this project as it unfolds as I'm very interested in the 358-26 Nosler wildcat you plan to put together.

I've been contemplating a possible 35-375 Ruger wildcat that I increase the shoulder angle to 40* and possibly getting a little longer neck on it. I think it'd be an excellent brush gun with a 21'' barrel for Roosevelt elk, bears or just about anything in tight quarters that is tough.

The 277/26-Nosler is back from the smith.

I've made up 21 rounds with Sierra GameKings 140grm #1835, 86grns of Retumbo.

Pressure Trace strain gauge is installed.
Scope and all are on.
Timney is installed.

Ready for the range Monday.

Sounds like a fun goal and I will be following this project as it unfolds as I'm very interested in the 358-26 Nosler wildcat you plan to put together.

I've been contemplating a possible 35-375 Ruger wildcat that I increase the shoulder angle to 40* and possibly getting a little longer neck on it. I think it'd be an excellent brush gun with a 21'' barrel for Roosevelt elk, bears or just about anything in tight quarters that is tough.
I threw your 21" barrel in my 358/26-Nosler model with a Nosler Partition 250. 85grns of Reloader 17 will get ~2850fps and over 4500 foot lbs as the starting load.

Scary!

Your 35/375-Ruger 40 degree will get ~2800fps and over 4300 foot lbs at starting load of 80.4grns.

Very impressive!

jf, any word from the smith on the 30 cal?
Well....

He's had a month to work on it but has a tendency to work on 'easier' projects.

The issue is getting the barrel off. Weatherby German made, Japan made, USA jobbed out or USA at Weatherby put their barrels very tight. That makes the job 'hard'. The reason the 277/26-Nosler was done is that the barrel was already loosened.

I would have liked to take it on my elk hunt but I don't think I will make it. Unless the first test load is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.