26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

With my 338/26 Nosler reamer ordered and a collection of actions and barrels I feel its time to start a thread devoted to this platform.

I will not be making a real 26 Nosler. It's been done so why bother.

To recap the calibers/chamberings I would like to achieve:

458/26 Nosler
416/26 Nosler
375/26 Nosler
358/26 Nosler
338/26 Nosler
308/26 Nosler
284/26 Nosler
277/26 Nosler

Design philosophy/goals:

• One set of go/no-go gauges.
  • Sizing dies will form a set of brass forming dies or a set of generic form dies can be used.
  • One case length period!
  • Neck length as designed will adapt per caliber just by diameter change only.
  • The longest seating of bullets will fit in a standard LA magazine.
So here is the cell phone picture of most of the caliber/chamberings from the previous post. The 358/26 Nosler is not in the picture becuase the forming steps did not produce one and I don't have a 358 expander.

33718d1397011120-338wm-rechamber-vs-rebarrel-img_20140408_193526.jpg

This will become the 284/26 Nosler:

• Vintage R700 Long Action purchased stripped. Was a 30-06 or 270 type chambering so feed lips will need work.
  • Timney trigger.
  • Reminton "Sendoro Special" 7MM barrel with integrated brake will get reamed with the 284/26 Nosler.
  • Remington LSS stock that came with one of my 300 RUM, will need to be opened up.

Picture 1: mock up round, Picture 2: In the magazine, Picture 3: in the raceways.

Hard to see but there is plenty of room to go longer.

I placed the 338/26 Nosler round with a CEB MTH_D59 seated to a COAL of 3.674 in the magazine. Fits but not much room left.

Attachments

• IMG_20140521_202633748_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140521_202633748_HDR.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20140521_202321511.jpg
    IMG_20140521_202321511.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20140521_202224088.jpg
    IMG_20140521_202224088.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 161
This will become the 284/26 Nosler:

• Vintage R700 Long Action purchased stripped. Was a 30-06 or 270 type chambering so feed lips will need work.
  • Timney trigger.
  • Reminton "Sendoro Special" 7MM barrel with integrated brake will get reamed with the 284/26 Nosler.
  • Remington LSS stock that came with one of my 300 RUM, will need to be opened up.
Picture 1: mock up round, Picture 2: In the magazine, Picture 3: in the raceways.

Hard to see but there is plenty of room to go longer.

I placed the 338/26 Nosler round with a CEB MTH_D59 seated to a COAL of 3.674 in the magazine. Fits but not much room left.
I still have no idea what one of those is... I've seen and shot just about every model Sendero there is, but I've still never seen a "Sendero Special". :D

So basically, COAL is similar to a 7mm RemMag. Velocities will probably be similar to a 7mm-300 WM. But in a non-belted case.

Looks interesting. Keep me updated. And if you ever get tired of it, I can buy those custom Whidden dies and PTG reamer from you on the cheap. LOL

I will not be making a real 26 Nosler. It's been done so why bother.

This is awesome best of luck to you, I hope you keep everyone posted as you test these. Its always fun to see what the wildcat guys come up with.

QL tells me, for what it's worth.

At the same pressure, barrel length etc..

150fps faster than a 7mm/300 Win Mag
100fos faster than a 7mm Dakota

but

That's all just some software idea of what will happen.

I just checked QuickDesign for some numbers to compare to the 7STW.

The 3 things I think are significant to compare are shoulder angle, neck length and of course capacity.

The shoulder angle of the STW is ~25degrees and the Nosler is like the RUM, WSM, RSAUM, Dakota, Ruger and other 404 Jefferies based designs at ~35degrees.

In neck length the STW has IHMO the edge at ~.333 compared to the 284/26 Nosler's ~.273

Case capacity, per QuickDesign, is very close at ~100 for the STW vs. ~104 for the 284/26 Nosler. Of course these are not the real numbers so I consider then so close as to be the same.

My feelings on this.

With case capacity so close any differences come down to shoulder angle and neck length and how the charge reacts to the pressure shaping from the those. On the STW as I understand it, the longer powder column and narrower shoulder angle should shape the pressure wave well and help erosion. With the Nosler like other 35 degree shoulders the shaping of the pressure wave is different but of course actual use shows us that it works very well.

As far as I can determine the only actual differences are going to be belted or not and magazine length for shallow seated bullets like VLDs.

The shoulder angle of the STW is ~25degrees and the Nosler is like the RUM, WSM, RSAUM, Dakota, Ruger and other 404 Jefferies based designs at ~35degrees.

The shoulder angle of the RUM, RSAUM, and the Dakota is 30°.

In neck length the STW has IHMO the edge at ~.333 compared to the 284/26 Nosler's ~.273

The SAAMI specs for case neck length on a 7mm STW is .2576" - .2776".

The shoulder angle of the RUM, RSAUM, and the Dakota is 30°.

The SAAMI specs for case neck length on a 7mm STW is .2576" - .2776".
The ~ symbol means approximately.:rolleyes:
Gee wiz Ammoguide and QuickDesign are wrong.

and

Edd is being pedantic again. gun)

There was a question about the "Sendero Special" barrel

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20140523_200022220.jpg
    IMG_20140523_200022220.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 145
What is different about the special?

Using the exact same case capacity when you are mocking up these wildcats for any given caliber, what does the software predict the velocity or pressure difference with the different shoulder angles or neck lengths? What are some examples.

What does it say for a 90 degree shoulder?

I believe at this high of pressure the angle means almost nothing. Otherwise I think the Weatherby radius shoulder and neck would be the ultimate. In actual use I have found they don't help anything. Their performance increase is more related to the free bore.

What is different about the special?
If you mean the barrel, I don't know. I was hoping someone would have info.
Using the exact same case capacity when you are mocking up these wildcats for any given caliber, what does the software predict the velocity or pressure difference with the different shoulder angles or neck lengths? What are some examples.

What does it say for a 90 degree shoulder?
I am not sure I understand. I have never heard of a 90 degree shoulder. Ackley liked 80 degrees.

As far as working up same case capacity with different neck and or shoulder angle, it violates my 'design' philosophy for this project. To use the 26 Nosler dimensions except caliber. Perhaps some other time and some other thread. If you don't have it I really recommend getting QuickDesign and QuickLoad. Tons of fun.

Not always perfect, sometimes PERFECT. It can't get my R700 300 RUM right in QL. I'm way faster than predicted. My 6mm-AR predictions were perfect over a range of 10 charge weights with Alliant AR-Comp. I'm serious, it was 100% correct. I mean 100% chronograph reading to prediction. I did not install a "Pressure Trace" pickup on that barrel so I won't know pressures.

The close to actual vs. prediction for QL is of course depending on the input as in Garbage In, Garbage Out. I'm and IT guy with more experience than would be practical to list here so I am aware and capable of getting the inputs correct.

I've had closer to actual predictions more than not. Usually no more than a percent or 2 off.
I believe at this high of pressure the angle means almost nothing. Otherwise I think the Weatherby radius shoulder and neck would be the ultimate. In actual use I have found they don't help anything. Their performance increase is more related to the free bore.
I have to say that I disagree with the shoulder shape and angle impacting velocity and accuracy potential of a case design. Not the only factor but IMO, much more than nothing.

Somehow you threw in 'performance' with the implication that it was the goal and could be achieved the same way Wby does it, with massive free bore. If that was the goal, I'd just do the American thing, more cubic inches and that would just mean going back to the RUM design in different calibers. Hmmm a 17/300 RUM. That would be perfect.....

A definitive study of shoulder angle and shape would be a fun undertaking but one man only has just so much time and must choose those activities that provide fulfillment. I had already been working on my "Winchester Pretty Short Magnum" when the 26 Nosler was announced. A minor gear change.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.