26 Nosler Wildcats - 30 Nosler (308)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Over the weekend I tested some 181 Hammer Hunters with great results. Of six different grain weights going off the solid advice of where to safely start from Steve at Hammer Bullets, I had three four shot groups that printed really well. All seated to just fit the mag (Rem 700 long) New Nosler Brass. Wind was gusty as hell, full value from the back but I wanted to at the very least see where these were going to get me fps and pressure wise.

81 loose group - didn't get any readings on my mag until the last shot...
3137 **

82gr H1000 shots 2-3 1-4 were touching for a group size of just under .7 easy bolt lift.
3168 10

83 all one ragged bug hole, slight vert string right at .55 easy bolt lift.
3210 38

84 2-4 were basically one hole, 3 was .3 under 2 & 4 and I pulled 1 nearly a full inch up and a touch right. Primer's just starting to crater, easy blot lift.
3244 7

85 blew out to over an inch with cratering starting to form more to my Un-liking, bolt still easy to lift.

86 two shots in to this grain weight and I was much the same as 85 but the bolt lift was noticeably firm. Time to stop...

Ill try and post pics later.

Guys,
I gave up on my 30-28 Nosler Wildcat. I was using Hornady 200 grain ELDXs and RL 26. The barrel is a 26-inch Rock Creek number 4 with a 1 in 9 twist. Velocities were nothing more than what is shown in Noslers latest reloading manual for the 30 Nosler with this bullet. I tried RL33 and Retumbo but couldn't get enough powder in the case to get the pressures required for the velocity needed. Prior sessions with Quickload indicated this, that Retumbo and RL33 we're not good choices, but I thought I'd try anyway.

I just don't see the value over the standard 30 Nosler. I think Nosler discovered this in their development, that there were limitations on powder to volume benefits with this larger mouthed case and therefore shortened it to get the pressures needed with Retumbo, RL33 and similar powders. Initial work with h1000 showed High pressures and low velocities so I didn't pursue it. Just my thoughts. Getting ready to convert it to the 28 Nosler. I have a new Barrel but I had to replace my 28 Nosler reamer which was misplaced during a move. The new reamer should be here in another week or so.

My gun is getting close. From what I've found from reading RL 26 is the go to powder for the 30-28 Nosler. It's what I'm going to start off with along with Burger 215 bullets.

I'll post results in a few months when it all comes together.

Kris

Guys,
I gave up on my 30-28 Nosler Wildcat. I was using Hornady 200 grain ELDXs and RL 26. The barrel is a 26-inch Rock Creek number 4 with a 1 in 9 twist. Velocities were nothing more than what is shown in Noslers latest reloading manual for the 30 Nosler with this bullet. I tried RL33 and Retumbo but couldn't get enough powder in the case to get the pressures required for the velocity needed. Prior sessions with Quickload indicated this, that Retumbo and RL33 we're not good choices, but I thought I'd try anyway.

I just don't see the value over the standard 30 Nosler. I think Nosler discovered this in their development, that there were limitations on powder to volume benefits with this larger mouthed case and therefore shortened it to get the pressures needed with Retumbo, RL33 and similar powders. Initial work with h1000 showed High pressures and low velocities so I didn't pursue it. Just my thoughts. Getting ready to convert it to the 28 Nosler. I have a new Barrel but I had to replace my 28 Nosler reamer which was misplaced during a move. The new reamer should be here in another week or so.
Sorry to hear this. Not sure a data point of one is a good sample.

I talked the Nosler, the only reason for the shorter case is so that Nosler bullets seat to a COAL 3.34. That was all their ballistics would give me. Almost to an argument point.

If you are loading to spec there will be no discernible difference.

The direct comparison between the 30 and the 30-28 Nosler I've seen there was an impressive gain but the lightest bullet shot was the Hornady 225, the 230 Berger's ran up to 3100 fps but the node is a touch lower in the 3050 range. With the heavier bullets R33 can be utilized.

The direct comparison between the 30 and the 30-28 Nosler I've seen there was an impressive gain but the lightest bullet shot was the Hornady 225, the 230 Berger's ran up to 3100 fps but the node is a touch lower in the 3050 range. With the heavier bullets R33 can be utilized.

3050 is a good node for the Nosler. I have the same speed for the node out of my target 300 RUM. Nosler is much more efficient.

Impressive! What barrel length were these rifles?

I would like to build a 30 nos in the future, I have some Bertram 338 edge brass I would like to form in the hopes of gaining an extra 50-100fps and longer brass life, still debating if it's worth doing rather than just using Nosler brass.

Do you think the 30 nos has enough case capacity to utilize n570? Just thinking it might be a better option with the hot temps and extreme temp swings we deal with in Texas.

Impressive! What barrel length were these rifles?
All my testing was with a 24" barrel, I'm || close to converting my 300 RUM long range to 30/28 Nosler
I would like to build a 30 nos in the future, I have some Bertram 338 edge brass I would like to form in the hopes of gaining an extra 50-100fps and longer brass life, still debating if it's worth doing rather than just using Nosler brass.
The Bertram brass is probably so thick that you will loose capacity overall the same FPS but higher pressure.
Do you think the 30 nos has enough case capacity to utilize n570? Just thinking it might be a better option with the hot temps and extreme temp swings we deal with in Texas.
Yes it will take N570

Glad to hear that, if I have one built in the near future I will be trying that powder. I've just starting loading it in my 6.5SS and have had good results right off the bat.

That makes sense with the Bertram brass. I tested a few pieces against my rem brass in my 338 EDGE IMP and velocity was close to identical when loaded at max pressure with both. Also when I tried rl-33 and n570 in this chambering velocities were almost equal at max working pressures.

I'll be forming my brass from Bertram brass. I think I remember reading on this page about someone who water tested brass made from Remington and Bertram brass and it actually had a little more capacity (101 grains if I remember correctly) and was giving better fps.

I've got everything in place and just waiting on the smith. He was supposed to be done by now but it usually takes him twice as long as what he says. I've gotta start checking in on him so I have it for my back country hunt in September.

Kris

So is the process of forming factory 28 nos brass to 30-28 Nosler as simple as necking brass up to .30 cal?

And out of curiosity was is the capacity gain, 2-3 grains?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.