26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Yes, great info from Nosler. Give us some insight that they will eventually offer the entire lineup. There's money to be made with every caliber, and it looks like they've done their homework into cartridge dimensions.

I would guess at the very least they'll add the 30 and 338, and very likely the 30 will come out this year. That's just my guess.

Yes, great info from Nosler. Give us some insight that they will eventually offer the entire lineup. There's money to be made with every caliber, and it looks like they've done their homework into cartridge dimensions.

I would guess at the very least they'll add the 30 and 338, and very likely the 30 will come out this year. That's just my guess.

Although we have limited data points, their pattern has been to 'announce' 1 new Nosler cartridge a year. My money would bet that they continue this.

Not a terrible strategy, business-wise; it gives them the time to gear up their marketing machine for each unveiling. There's less chance of having one of their offerings fail due to being overshadowed by another.

Also, another consideration is that it may give them time to ramp up their limited manufacturing capacity. If they were to announce 4 cartridges in one year but cannot supply brass in quantity for more than one, they'd have less chance for success.

IMO, their mistake was to start with the 26. The 28, 30, and 33 seem more likely to have broader appeal (I don't think the 27 is all that interesting). The 26 is a niche by anybody's standards. Maybe this was by design; start with a cartridge that will have less demand, and learn how to do the roll-outs as a company, with smaller stakes.

Maybe I'm just giving them too much credit and overthinking it. :) Time will tell.

-nosualc

You are right, from a manufacturing and marketing perspective 1 per year is probably the most likely. And even then probably very aggressive once you think about how all of the popular bullets and brass that they offer are on continual backorder.

I just looked and 26 Nosler brass is in stock at Midway. I bet you are right that there is a big effort to ensure that every new cartridge offering can keep up with demand.

The 28 Nosler is what the 7mm RUM should have been as the 7mm RUM is about 50 miles past diminishing returns. The 28 though is "just right" like goldilocks and her porridge AND it fits in a standard length action.

Nosler lists the 160 Accubond at 3,300 fps in their 28 Nosler factory ammo and they publish in handbook number 7 a top velocity of 3,261 fps for the same bullet in the 7mm RUM. According to that the 28 is faster - which is clearly marketing BS but... the 28 will give you near 7mm RUM performance in a smaller more efficient non-belted case. And as was pointed out you will be able to buy the brass if you are willing to take out a 2nd on your house!

All this interest in the 28 nosler . What's wrong with the 7mmRUM ?

The reason I like it.....

I wanted a case for the announced 195 gr Berger bullet. I think the 7mm RUM is too big for a 7mm. I like the capacity of the the 7mm STW but I think it is too long. The 28 Nosler has 7mm STW capacity and is about .250" shorter. I think that shorter length will result in a more desirable loaded cartridge.

168gr Berger match grade hunting VLDs...

Could someone show real world performance differences between:

7mm Rem Mag

28 Nosler

7mm RUM

What sort of increased range could one expect between each of these rounds?
How about barrel life?

Neat thread and idea =)

I have the same setup that Iron Worker mentioned. My 7mm WSM with Brux barrel also runs 0.5 MOA and I love it but the most amazing thing about my 4 groove Brux is that it picks up zero copper and I do mean zero. I have several other custom barrels and none of them are even remotely capable of doing that. You can go 100 rounds and you only get carbon fouling. I don't know how they do it. So +1 for Brux... and now back to your regularly schedule program.

I got my MagnetoSpeed back and with a change of batteries my Pressure Trace II stopped acting up.

Today I was able to finish the 308/26-Nosler Berger test and the .277 165 VLD Matrix.

There are 16 pages of data to transcribe to the various threads but I know many are interested in certain bullets.

Reminder these test barrels are all 24".

Barnes 280 LRX made it to ~2780fps at an indicated 64k psi and the case looked like it was that hot. The COAL was conservative. I could get a lot more capacity if I stretched out the COAL.

The CEB 252 MTH is a much better match to the Nosler cartridge dimensions. That one goes ~2900fps from a 24" barrel at only 55k psi.

Berger 230 Hybrid topped out at ~2950fps at 56k psi. It can go faster.

Matrix 190 VLD went ~3050fps at 63k psi before the chron succumbed to the bombardment of the muzzle blast. Kudos to MagnetoSpeed for incredible service.

Matrix 165 VLD went ~3200fps at 63k psi before I stopped with 3 loads left that I would not shoot in a Reminton 700. I'd shoot those pressures in a Weatherby buy not an R700.

Matrix 165 VLD went ~3200fps at 63k psi before I stopped with 3 loads left that I would not shoot in a Reminton 700. I'd shoot those pressures in a Weatherby buy not an R700.

Fred,

Been following this thread. Am interested in 277 cal info. I'm not as concerned with R700 actions as you. I burned out 2 barrels in 270 Allen Mag with Matrix 165 velocities that far exceed what your RSI indicated. Action was mistakenly proof tested a couple of times (powder bridging) and handled it well.

Not a big issue though I'd much rather use the Mark V action for most anything.

a 270 Nosler/300 Win/338 RUM sure would seem a great round to have. And, a 165 @ 3200 is darn good enough.

I Appreciate your work.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.