26 Nosler Wildcats - 30 Nosler (308)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

Yeah, it's done. Mark V formerly 30-06

Clean it up.
Put it back in the stock.
Put the Pressure Trace II strain gauge on it.
Scope on it.

Make up some starter loads and go to the range.

==============================
PUBLISHER'S NOTE:

I am building precision long range rifles in the 30 Nosler cartridge.

CLICK HERE.

Len Backus

Last edited by a moderator:
you sure have your work on load development with all these wildcats. thanks for keeping us informed

It's all together.

Did some COAL checking.

First up will be some 180 CEBs, because there are 8 left and I don't have anything for them.

Along with them some 190 VLDs again because there the last and 7 b left.

This isn't load development, just sanity checking.

The fired cases give me a case to make a "modified case" for the Hornady COAL tool.

Picks tomorrow as I stayed up late (early) inletting a BDL stock for a Sendero barrel.

I look forward to hearing about your results. It seems to me that the 26 Nosler case is about right for .308 cal. Mag. in a Rem 700 length action/magazine, combined with a bullet like the 230 Berger seated to optimal length, seems better balanced than the longer 300RUM and maybe nearly as fast, we shall see, thanks.

I look forward to hearing about your results. It seems to me that the 26 Nosler case is about right for .308 cal. Mag. in a Rem 700 length action/magazine, combined with a bullet like the 230 Berger seated to optimal length, seems better balanced than the longer 300RUM and maybe nearly as fast, we shall see, thanks.

What do you think the optimal length is?

What do you think the optimal length is?
There is no such thing, sorry to not be clear or use different terminology.
Sorry not to be exact here, but with very little beyond the boat tail protruding into the case. I do not have a case to measure with the 230 Berger, currently using the 300WM and 215's. What I think is not a biggie anyway, everyone has their own view on these things. It will be interesting to see the vel. difference of this case with the 230 seated out to utilize the longer magazines as opposed to the RUM which will be seated a little deeper due to a longer case, I should have said that, your mileage may vary. Only saying this could be the tradeoff of powder capacity vs case size I am looking for.

One of the things I plan on doing is a comparison between a RUM and Nosler with the bullet seated to the same depth in the case. Closest apples to apples I can think of.

Since this is about cartridge potential not about the COAL that is most accurate for the particular firearm, I will find a seating depth for both that puts the same length of bullet into the case.

Example: 230 Berger #30430 Hybrid Target at the same estimated pressure

308/26-Nosler COAL 3.475 with .755 seating depth estimate of ~2800
300 RUM COAL 3.735 with .755 seating depth ~2900

This will be made using powders that are 100% burn at as close to 100% capacity as I can get for the pressures which are estimated at ~56,000psi.

That is normalized to a 24" barrel. In reality my RUM barrel is 26 and my 306/26-Nosler is 24 but it is a known that there is ~25fps difference for each inch.

Is there more potential that those speeds in each case design, of course but that will be figured out later.

As for "optimal" barrel length, as has been said, there is not such thing but IMO the most desirable hunting length is 26" in a Sendero profile. The most desired target length is 28" or more in a palma profile.

How does the velocity compare if you have a COAL of 3.735" for both cartridges?
The gap narrows from ~100fps to ~50fps.

I can not seat the 230 that long in the 308/26-Nosler as it is now. I am trying to get PTG to make me a Uni-Throater chamber bushing that has the shape of the 26-Nosler so that I can take all these fairly short throats out as I work on loads. I plan on being very meticulous on thoat length when I do. To check of course the original prints and a COAL gauge. Measure before, cut, measure after. Then we will know how much I increase the throat length.

I've sent e-mails and called PTG asking for the print files and about the bushing but no response yet. Maybe there are closed for the holidays. :( I'm starting to feel like a "bad customer" because I'm not getting what I want but which they usually supply with every order and answer e-mails quickly.

I can seat them at that length in mine. My barreled action is done. I'm waiting on a stock. Maybe you will have the load figured out by the time I get it.

One of the things I plan on doing is a comparison between a RUM and Nosler with the bullet seated to the same depth in the case. Closest apples to apples I can think of.

Since this is about cartridge potential not about the COAL that is most accurate for the particular firearm, I will find a seating depth for both that puts the same length of bullet into the case.

Example: 230 Berger #30430 Hybrid Target at the same estimated pressure

308/26-Nosler COAL 3.475 with .755 seating depth estimate of ~2800
300 RUM COAL 3.735 with .755 seating depth ~2900

This will be made using powders that are 100% burn at as close to 100% capacity as I can get for the pressures which are estimated at ~56,000psi.

That is normalized to a 24" barrel. In reality my RUM barrel is 26 and my 306/26-Nosler is 24 but it is a known that there is ~25fps difference for each inch.

Is there more potential that those speeds in each case design, of course but that will be figured out later.

As for "optimal" barrel length, as has been said, there is not such thing but IMO the most desirable hunting length is 26" in a Sendero profile. The most desired target length is 28" or more in a palma profile.

Yes, that will be good info, thanks

I can seat them at that length in mine. My barreled action is done. I'm waiting on a stock. Maybe you will have the load figured out by the time I get it.
If you have your reamer throat length spec please let us know the throat length. I will get my info from PTG someday for comparison.

Unfortunately, today I have to work instead of load some 30-Nosler and head to the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.