26 Nosler Wildcats - 30 Nosler (308)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
I don't like the neck diameter on that 30 caliber print.
I agree. I wish I'd been given the reamer prints before they cut them.

I was too tired when I got home from work to see it all. The neck is about .003 sloppy with a nominal .016 neck thickness. The kind of thing that makes lawyers happy, makes me angry.

The short throat .110 is a PIA as well.

This is starting to get to the point of an irate customer.

So whats the plan on this? i havnt looked at the numbers but im guessing you cant just run the reamer deeper to fix this?
Did that. No real problem. Chambered a dummy round with smoked bullet to find that the throat is really short before we got the print. Bet it will shoot copper really well. The 338/26-Nosler does.

I'm calling PTG in about 15 minutes to work out what's up because I didn't get the 27 and 28 prints.

Just checked SAMMI for the 300WSM and it's a .346 neck as well.

It will all be fine. Just not good to have surprises with guns.

Oh and it's no longer a wildcat. gun)

Oh well, I have another design in the works. Well lots really.

Just got the other prints so I will summarize

• 27-Nosler, perfect, just a necked up 26, throat length of 0.000
  • 28-Nosler, perfect, just a necked up 26, throat length of 0.182
  • 30-Nosler, body and OL shortened by ~0.050, throat length of 0.110, not a major problem as the shoulder diameter is still perfect, Only the base will loose taper for 0.050, maybe. I will have to measure the reamer.
  • 338/26-Nosler, My "design" so yes it's dead on, throat length of 0.233, it was always the plan to start short and work up. Works great with "standard" style seating depths.
  • 35-Nosler, body and OL shortened by 0.100, shades of 338RUM, throat length of 0.184, can not just run it in deaper (IMO) as it blows out the shoulder 0.008. Short throat is suited for light to moderate bullets but not the high BC CEB MTH_E01 or the one they are working on for me. This will take some thought.

The thing with changing the dimensions is that it doesn't solve the problem of miss chambering. The shoulder lengths should get longer by the length of the plunger ejector and firing pin so that undersized caliber can not be set off. Oversize caliber on a non-belted magnum can't be chambered.

or

Just realize that anyone doing this is not that stupid, well maybe:D. I can't tell you how many rounds of 223 I've seen set off in a 7.62x39. Dumb and dangerous but not worthy of messing up the design.

Oh

And I've seen enough of the 270WSM loaded and set off in a 300WSM to know that it is almost a non-event. Almost but not quite.

ok good, i did the same thing that you did lol. i looked at all the other numbers but not the length....duh lol

my reamer came in a couple weeks ago and i just put it up and havnt touched it since

ok good, i did the same thing that you did lol. i looked at all the other numbers but not the length....duh lol

my reamer came in a couple weeks ago and i just put it up and havnt touched it since
Use regular 26-Nosler go/no-go to space it.

The short throat .110 is a PIA as well.

The freebore diameter is large enough the bullet won't stick. So, for the people who want to use the 215gr Berger bullets and seat close to or against the lands, that throat is perfect.

I guess I need to look at the prints again, I know it wont be much difference in the dia at the .050" at the base but that's going to make it a bit of a pain to size huh. since a standard 26 body die will be ever so slightly smaller then the last .050 of a chamber reamed with this reamer.

on a side note. directly from PTGs site...

PRODUCT RETURN POLICY: We do not accept returns on ANY custom tooling, Wildcat reamers, modified parts or used parts.
There is a 15% re-stock fee for authorized part returns only for unused / unopened standard shelf-stock parts and SAAMI reamers.

Since this is the "SAAMI" reamer they might exchange it

I thought the 26 nosler was basically a necked down 338 RUM? So why neck it up to 308 and pay the expensive brass price when you could just rum a 300 RUM and have more casense capacity?
*edit* I just read down the first page and didn't n notice there where 6 pages. This probably got covered. I'll start reading*

I thought the 26 nosler was basically a necked down 338 RUM? So why neck it up to 308 and pay the expensive brass price when you could just rum a 300 RUM and have more casense capacity?
*edit* I just read down the first page and didn't n notice there where 6 pages. This probably got covered. I'll start reading*

not the same case

jfseaman I just got off the phone with PTG and they will exchange a unused 30 Nosler SAAMI reamer for a 300/26 nosler for free :D

I checked out the specs and you'really right it is different but really really closr to the 338 RUM with a different shoulder angle. I'm just curious what's the big interest in wildcatting the 26 nosler when the RUM based cartridges will get more performance with significantly cheaper brass and less hassle of resizing the necks(factory brass in 7mm, 300 and 338)?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.