26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
I'm back on the road again before I remembered to figure out relative barrel life.

However, the Matrix 190 VLDs arrived. If they are in Brian's latest book I will have them worked up and loaded for my next testing session.

That's what I want, 280ai re chambered

It's gonna be a lot more work than a simple rechamber... Their going to have to open the feed rails on the bottom of the action, open the bolt face, change the follower, swap out the mag box, and then open up the chamber...

Last edited:
Ah hell. Guess a new rifle goes on the list then. I knew I would have to open the bolt face but not all that

It's gonna be a lot more work than a simple rechamber... Their going to have to open the feed rails on the bottom of the action, open the bolt face, change the follower, swap out the mag box, and then open up the chamber...

If he did a single stack standard length mag box from Wyatt, assuming the rifle is a Remington, he wouldn't have to do anything but get a different bolt or have his opened to a magnum bolt face.

Any predictions on barrel life??

Using the barrel burner index from "Overbore" Cartridges Defined by Formula within AccurateShooter.com
and
The accurate barrel life estimator from Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life within AccurateShooter.com

We all know that these are just indicators. You can kill a barrel much faster and barrel life for this formula is for competition shooting.

Lower is better for the index.

Barrel burner index is 1530, for an accurate life of 1000+ rounds

For comparison:
223 is 685 for a life of 2500+
308 Win is 719 for a life of 3300+
7mm mag is 1326 for a life of 1700+
7mm STW is 1463 for a life of 1300+
300 RUM is 1439 for a life of 1200+
7mm RUM is 1683 for a life of 900+
26-Nosler is 1761 for a life of 400+

I would have figured it would have been closer to the STW being their case capacities and velocities are so similar...

lets see some pictures of this 28 nosler next to a 7 mag or 280AI. Would my 280AI mag fit the 28 nosler round?

Here's a pic of the 28 Nosler next to the 7mm LRH with 160 gr Barnes X bullets ...

I can load it up with the 180 Berger Hybrids and take a pic of it next to a 7mm RM tonight .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 77
I would have figured it would have been closer to the STW being their case capacities and velocities are so similar...
Those are pretty SWAG estimates. In reality it could be closer.

The Nosler has more capacity and more velocity at the same pressure than the STW. Close but not that close. I know you love your STW, they are different from each other, not better than.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.