26 nosler reloading information

Kelly Hudson

There is not much reloading information for this caliber anywhere. I'.m looking for information to load 127 gr. barnes lrx bullets. I chose these bullet because I hear rumors of surface exploding on animals with other bullets. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kelly.

My good friend has some new nosler brass and a set of redding type s match bushing die set I think he would be willing to sell. Ill ask him if your interested.

I run the 127lrx with RL33, I run into pressure right around 80.5gr, and a bit over 3500fps.

You might want to try some Bertram brass, Nosler brass can be a bit soft.

I've shot the 140 hybrids, 140 partitions and 160 matrix bullets.... none had surface blow up but all reacked havoc on the inside and exited. Distances were 25 yards to 650 yards.

He has 2 boxes of 25 each, nosler brass and redding type s match die set. He said he would sell them and said he is open for an offer.

I use retumbo in mine. Its an ER shaw accuracy barrel on a savage. Using the 127 LRX im at 3450fps and around 0.8 MOA. Made first round center hits in idaho on rocks at 980 yds prior to hunting with it. Shot a mule deer at 700 this year. I also had a pretty good load with the 120 Nosler Etips. If the 127 doesnt shoot, let me know if you want to try the 120 etip. Other recommendation is to not waste too many rounds developing a load. Get it MOA or better and leave it alone. I put over 300 rds in it over the last year throat has eroded 0.030-0.040 since i took my original measurements with the hornady OAL tool. Currently I am chasing the lands, and accuracy is still there. My plan is only to use it for hunting and hope i can get another 10 years out of it before i rebarrel. 10-20 rounds per year from here on out is the plan. Good luck.

I use retumbo in mine. Its an ER shaw accuracy barrel on a savage. Using the 127 LRX im at 3450fps and around 0.8 MOA. Made first round center hits in idaho on rocks at 980 yds prior to hunting with it. Shot a mule deer at 700 this year. I also had a pretty good load with the 120 Nosler Etips. If the 127 doesnt shoot, let me know if you want to try the 120 etip. Other recommendation is to not waste too many rounds developing a load. Get it MOA or better and leave it alone. I put over 300 rds in it over the last year throat has eroded 0.030-0.040 since i took my original measurements with the hornady OAL tool. Currently I am chasing the lands, and accuracy is still there. My plan is only to use it for hunting and hope i can get another 10 years out of it before i rebarrel. 10-20 rounds per year from here on out is the plan. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. All of this is going to help me. This gun has 120 rounds thru it already. I hbought it used.

I lost accuracy and velocity real quick in mine. I just had it checked and it's torched. Maybe 400 shots at most. My smith said chunks of rifling are missing and it's fire cracked over half way up the 26" barrel. Tread lightly

Kelly, Im 0.015" off lands. Also, recommend using fed 215 primers. CCI 250s were giving me some issues with retumbo. The round can be a little finnicky to reload, but once its dialed its a lot of fun shooting way out there.

bgbuck 153. Did you try adjusting your seating length longer to keep the same jump to the rifling? I ran into the same thing, with quick accuracy deterioration. But after i realized that the throat was getting eroded and seated to keep the same jump accuracy came right back. But only with the all copper bullets. With jacketed bullets, it was never accurate. 135 berger, 147 eld, and 140 sierra were all throwing big groups, or a few decent shots then a big flyer. The only jacketed bullet that worked was the 140 sierra game king when i slowed it down to 3000fps with RL 33. I was ticked because whats the point of the big case? I went back to the 127LRX and have been happy with it. I did see some fire cracking on mine, but only in the throat for a maybe an 1/8 of an inch or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.