Reloading newbie - 26 Nosler

Pokoki

Need a winter hobby, so it's time I learn the world of reloading.

I built this 26 Nosler for mule deer hunting out here in the Western US. More than likely, sub 500 yard shots.

I think I want to go with Redding dies...but that's were I need help.

Do I need the "deluxe die set for bottleneck case", the "full length 2 die set" or the "series B deluxe set"?

Thanks all

Need a winter hobby, so it's time I learn the world of reloading.

I built this 26 Nosler for mule deer hunting out here in the Western US. More than likely, sub 500 yard shots.

I think I want to go with Redding dies...but that's were I need help.

Do I need the "deluxe die set for bottleneck case", the "full length 2 die set" or the "series B deluxe set"?

Thanks all
You can use any of those just fine and I would add a neck sizer die. I buy the 3 die pack because it's cheaper. Brand is up to each person and they all have lots of followers. I have mostly RCBS, Redding, Hornady for rifle dies in that order with some others thrown in. I started using the Type S dies a few years ago and really have not seen enough difference to justify the cost and time involved. They require a couple more test loads for me to really determine how much neck tension with that load and that particular rifle likes the most. So far I have not had to go more than 3K. Don't forget you increase the potential to have to turn necks....more time and tool expense...if you get too OCD on neck tension with the bushing dies.

+1 on the 3 die set. I like the neck sizer for the rounds I don't fire when doing test loads. Just pull the bullets and the de-primer pin, no lube needed. This saves the precious primer lol

+1 on the 3 die set. I like the neck sizer for the rounds I don't fire when doing test loads. Just pull the bullets and the de-primer pin, no lube needed. This saves the precious primer lol
Amen, and I started using the Imperial dry neck lube for that.....works freaking amazingly well with no mess.

Redding Type S Full lenght 2 die set. Comes with full length bushing sizer die and competition seating die. Load your first rounds for your seating depth test, measure the O.D. of the neck with the bullet in it, subtract 2 thousandths and order that size bushing. That will give you 2 thousandths neck tension.

Watch all of Erik Cortinas videos on why you shouldn't neck size. Always full length size. Save yourself some money. You don't need the third die.

Ok, I wouldn't recommend neck sizing either. But for loads that you don't shoot while doing testing, it only resizes the neck after you pull the bullet. No need to full length resize an unfired piece of brass. I wouldn't advise bushing dies to someone just starting out. The mandrel inside Redding fl dies will give you consistent, good neck tension without trial and error or neck turning.

I agree that since you're new to this, skip the bushings as start with the Redding 80261 standard two die set. You can add a micrometer seating cap to the standard seating die if you need one as an interim step before buying the full competition set up (if you ever even need it). The 28261 "Master Hunter" set is the standard FL die and competition seater packaged together if you're dead set on the full mic seating die.

With Redding dies the first two digits are the series/set code, the last three are the chambering code. 80 is a standard set, 28 is master hunter set, 60 is the elite bushing set, then for 26 Nosler you're looking for xx261. Makes it easier to figure out what you're looking at.

What does the rest of your loading gear look like? There's no sense dropping $300+ on dies when a less expensive set will be more than sufficient, especially if you're also needing to get a press, scale, etc.

Last edited:
What does the rest of your loading gear look like? There's no sense dropping $300+ on dies when a less expensive set will be more than sufficient, especially if you're also needing to get a press, scale, etc.
My old man has a Dillon RL550C and electronic scale that I'm picking up...I hope

Any and all the above advice is good. My concern for you is that is not a good cartridge to start on…it's a finicky fire breathing monster!!!…not bad, just high horsepower which can make consistency and accuracy harder to find (in my opinion).

So don't get frustrated if your first loads shoot 3" at 100 yards. 🤣