7mm STW Reloading Information

243wssm

Just starting out to reload for the 7mm STW, was wondering if I might could get some good starting points and maybe what kind of velocities ya'll are getting. I already have some RL-22 and RL-25 powder. Any information will be appreciated. I will mostly be shooting 162 A-max's.

I am shooting the 162amax in my stw. I found RL 25 to give the best velocities. I am getting 3290 fps out of a 30 in tube. I have been able to maintain under .5 moa out to 900 yds. I am loading to a col 3.860 shooting as a single shot. My load is 79 gr Rl 25 federal 215 remington brass. I did manage one 800 yd group of slightly under 2 inches but i think the stars aligned just right on that one.

While I have not tried 162 A-Maxes in my 7STW yet, I thought I would offer that I have found Retumbo to be a great powder choice for this round with other bullets.

How much retumbo are you using. I just had a custom 7stm built throated for the 168 bergers. Can't wait to build a load for it. 26" broughton barrel, 1-9 twist.

How much retumbo are you using. I just had a custom 7stm built throated for the 168 bergers. Can't wait to build a load for it. 26" broughton barrel, 1-9 twist.

79 grains with 160 grain Accubonds and 84.5 grains with 140 AB's. I haven't tried 168 grain Bergers in mine yet, but have tried a few 140 grain VLD hunting bullets and it did not like those. But I have only tried a few groups and have not messed with seating depth any yet on those.

I would try H-1000 with Winchester brass and Fed 215 Primers. I would start at 76gr with the 162 grain bullets and you will probably hit max around 80 to 82 grains depending on what rifle you have.

Thanks Capt...

I bought 168 and 180 Berger Hunting VLD's. I'll let you know how they work in mine. My friend said to try retumbo too, so I will have some fun with it. Thanks for the input everyone. So 7STW...

Thanks to Len for a great site too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.