25 Creedmoor Sav Pre-fit?

Beautiful rifle! Nice looking bullets, too. Don't really look like VLDs or Scenars. Closer to Matchkings, but still different. Sharper nose.
They're made by Sierra, so that's not a surprise. Basically take a 6.5 150 smk scale it down, tweak it to Miles specs, and you have the 131 blackjack. I have a 257 saum reamer headed this way, if I really like it, I may build a 25 creedmoor as well. I contacted Xcaliber and they should have their 25cr reamer within a week.

They're made by Sierra, so that's not a surprise. Basically take a 6.5 150 smk scale it down, tweak it to Miles specs, and you have the 131 blackjack. I have a 257 saum reamer headed this way, if I really like it, I may build a 25 creedmoor as well. I contacted Xcaliber and they should have their 25cr reamer within a week.
I built a 257 SAUM a few years ago and I think I still have some reloading data. 5-shot groups averaged about .563" and velocity on 110 - 115 grain bullets, including the Accubond and Berger was between 3300 and 3415. That's in Weatherby territory with WAYYY less powder! Sleeved Krieger barrel with blue printed 700 action.

I built a 257 SAUM a few years ago and I think I still have some reloading data. 5-shot groups averaged about .563" and velocity on 110 - 115 grain bullets, including the Accubond and Berger was between 3300 and 3415. That's in Weatherby territory with WAYYY less powder! Sleeved Krieger barrel with blue printed 700 action.
That's kinda what I was after with the project. Heavy for cal high BC bullet at 3300+ fps from the 26" proof sendero 1:7.5 barrel. Got a ton of ADG & Bertram brass to use for it.

The Blackjacks are made by Sierra? Sure didn't know that. Makes me think about shooting the 150 Sierra in a 6.5 PRC vs 131 Blackjack in 25 Creedmore. Velocity should be similar and more bullet.

Last edited:
The Blackjacks are made by Sierra? Sure didn't know that. Makes me think about shooting the 150 Sierra in a 6.5 PRC vs 131 Blackjack in 6.5 Creedmore. Velocity should be similar and more bullet.
You'll get comparable velocity, 2900-2950 for both those. Recoil with the prc will be a noticeable difference with 10gr more capacity. I know guys shoot the 150 in 8 twist successfully in 6.5 saum, and prc with higher elevation. Sierra recommends 1:7.5 minimum for the 150smk, but I'm sure that's sea level at lower fps. If the blackjack works as a hunting bullet, I may abandon both my 6.5 saums. Blackjack has a high BC hunting bullet coming this fall. I'm thinking it'll be similar to the tipped match king, probably 136gr or something.

Even though it's off topic, my experience with the .284 case, is that, being a super accurate with whatever bullet, it has a hard stop, velocity ceiling, where it just will not perform anymore.

Even though it's off topic, my experience with the .284 case, is that, being a super accurate with whatever bullet, it has a hard stop, velocity ceiling, where it just will not perform anymore.
Ahhhh... but that's where the new powders come in! I'm going to blow the ceiling (pun intended) off that puppy with 4000MR and IMR 7977. And some Reloader 26 if I can get my paws on any! I'm seeing other old stand-bys (like 25-06) hit another gear with these! Got to get my top sear installed and firing pun cut off and reformed this weekend and I'll test that theory in a week or so. Maybe I can figure out how to post pics here.

Thanks for bringing that up. Irregardless of the speed, the accuracy is most important to me. I have both 180 and 195gr VLDs and a good amount of Norma brass to use! Of course, there are also some 160 and 150gr offerings, too. I need to make a very slight cut in the recess of the stock near the trigger. I noticed I had a slight amount of air space under the tang. Didn't think I was going to get the action screw started on the front. Finally did, but it needs to grab more. Starting to get some tornados down here, so just praying I'll be alive to get all this done! Be safe this weekend, and Happy Easter!

It just got real?! Checked the X-Caliber site and voila, they got reamers for barrels!
26" Bull, Stainless, threaded, ordered.

Another not so good Monday, but this one ended with a BANG!

Congratulations! I hear ya, same here for Monday. Had a friend at the range finally talk me into taking his 6.5x47 L Criterion prefit and his McMillan M40 stock with Wyatt DBM. The $450 price tag was too good to pass up. He jas a total of 11 rounds through the barrel and says that it was broken in with the last round. I had looked at making a .25x47 L before deciding on the Creedmoor just because of brass price, flexibility, and availability. He says factory ammo 1-holed while breaking in. Last one I had I couldn't handload more accurately than the Lapua factory loads. Not sure what powder they use, but I would think Norma or Vihtavuori.

Not to deviate from the thread, so congratulations on the Monday find, and let us know when you get it all assembled!

Good luck guys. I'm going the traditional method. I got Grant at JGS to finalize the blueprints for a custom reamer that WAS designed by Blackjack for a 25 Creedmoor. I'm a serious hunter and not a target shooter, so I redesigned it without the long leade to accommodate traditional .25 cal hunting bullets. I am using a 1:9 Pac-Nor Super Match 5-groove, and plan to have Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles (www.bugholes.com) cut the chamber when JGS gets me the reamer.

I CAN tell you that Greg has right now a new 25x47 Lapua reamer designed by Blackjack with the long leade... I fell all over myself telling him let's start cutting until he told me about the leade. If this appeals to you vs the Creedmoor, give him a call asap. It's a good time now because he just hired extra help and still has time to cut chambers vs sell parts. I personally prefer the Lapua over the Creedmoor, 260, or 6.5x55. And yes, I designed a 25 Creed special edition I have dubbed the .250 Whitetail instead of a .25x47 Lapua. Why? Same as you fellas, most likely...cost and availability of brass... I have a new box of 6.5x47 cases, but I'll hang on to them a little while. I have ideas of a 7mm wildcat based on the 6.5x47 L. It will be known as the 7mm SDC (Southern Deer Cartridge). And then again, I could decide to go the same way and use the Creedmoor just for the sake of brass price. That's been the hold up since it's been on the draft board. Trying to decide. But if you want to make a move on that long throated 25x47L, give Greg a shout. He'll go out of his way to help you and takes calls between 5 and 7pm Central time.

300Dakota, I'm also hunting with mine. Do you have any load data for the 110 gr. Accubond? So far all my loads have been 100 gr pills with H4350.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.