25-284 change my mind

Might look at the ballistics between the two then talk to me..
I'll save us a bunch of arguing something that has been hashed out a thousand times on this site

I'll make you the same offer I have made 6 others on this site, I have access up to 1 mile of shooting range while the crops are out, load up both of your 6.5 Needmoor's and a Rangefinder and head this way, You pick the distance, No Kestrel's, No spotters and no ballistic apps you call your own wind and then we will see what the Ballistics have to say then and we will post the results here I'll even switch to my Old SWFA straight 10X if it will make you feel any better, Indianapolis is the closest airport if you want to fly in, I'll pick you up there

Lee Brockmeier
6780 West Whitesell Ave
West Terre Haute In
812-264-6183

In all seriousness, I shoot my 6.5-284 and .308 quite a bit at 1000 yards and beyond. I cannot lie. My 6.5 beats the .308 Everytime. Shooting the 147s in my 6.5 and the 185 VLD in the .308, in wind, it's darn near a draw. When it's Ma nature plays nice, the 6.5 smokes the 308. It's more of an accuracy issue in my case. The 6.5 out shoots the 308 simply because of different barrels. The .308 is getting a new barrel this fall. None of this matters in Bean's scenario.

Funny, I changed out two barrels on my 6.5-284...and I shot steel a lot with that gun--and the second barrel--probably didn't need it as I was never happy with that tube...one of my 257 WBY probably has 1600 rounds down the tube...still shoots under 5/8 of a inch with a couple different loads--and a 257 is considered a "barrel burner"..I think I have had that gun since 1997 about 75-100 rounds a year...as good as the talon shoots hope it hangs in there a few years longer...when it dies..putting a new tube in a 1-7.5...

Last edited:
I'll save us a bunch of arguing something that has been hashed out a thousand times on this site

I'll make you the same offer I have made 6 others on this site, I have access up to 1 mile of shooting range while the crops are out, load up both of your 6.5 Needmoor's and a Rangefinder and head this way, You pick the distance, No Kestrel's, No spotters and no ballistic apps you call your own wind and then we will see what the Ballistics have to say then and we will post the results here I'll even switch to my Old SWFA straight 10X if it will make you feel any better, Indianapolis is the closest airport if you want to fly in, I'll pick you up there

Lee Brockmeier
6780 West Whitesell Ave
West Terre Haute In
812-264-6183
That's what I expected............. A laughing Emoji for a response

i would love too the actual number of guys whos have for sure without a doubt shot a barrel out. 99.9% of the time there not even close!!

ive shot several barrels out of "barrel burners" and it took a hell of a lot more than everyone claimed!!!
Everyone told me I'd only get 1500 rounds from my 6.5-284s. My first one was a Broughton barrel. Wound up with 2030 rounds thru it before it went south( meaning over a 1" group). Since then others have gone 1800 minimum. I don't run them super hard but much hotter than factory loads. When I find the group, I stop. If I didn't shoot ground hogs with it and used it only for big game, I'd have kept shooting most of the barrels I replaced.

Everyone told me I'd only get 1500 rounds from my 6.5-284s. My first one was a Broughton barrel. Wound up with 2030 rounds thru it before it went south( meaning over a 1" group). Since then others have gone 1800 minimum. I don't run them super hard but much hotter than factory loads. When I find the group, I stop.
exactly!! yours were documented as are all of my rifles and barrels ....
most guys think they gone when in fact they
a. need a great cleaning
or B. need a load adjustment because of land burn in

OK, try to find some brass to work with....the plain Jane boring 25/06 is basically the same thing....no animal or paper will every know the difference...

I think it would be interesting only if you got a tighter twist barrel to run the newer 25 cal Blackjack bullets at 131gr. Apparently they have a G7 of .330. That would give that 25 something to do down range.