25-284 change my mind

Some of us need a rifle to last. Being retired I need to get all the life I can out of a barrel.
I use to feel that way long before I retired. Then I got to thinking about the cost of loading enough ammo to burn a barrel up. Not counting the brass assuming you already have it, cost for 1500 rds of loading ammo for the 25-284 is roughly 1,100.00. Replacing the barrel is roughly 500-550.00. Half the cost of loading for it. Including brass and the price goes up a couple hundred bucks. The barrel is the cheapest of all components.

I use to feel that way long before I retired. Then I got to thinking about the cost of loading enough ammo to burn a barrel up. Not counting the brass assuming you already have it, cost for 1500 rds of loading ammo for the 25-284 is roughly 1,100.00. Replacing the barrel is roughly 500-550.00. Half the cost of loading for it. Including brass and the price goes up a couple hundred bucks. The barrel is the cheapest of all components.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ShoNuff

Some of us need a rifle to last. Being retired I need to get all the life I can out of a barrel.
Build a 25gt then, will go 2800fps, and make it 3k rounds probably? The 25 creed will go 2300 or so. Probably more if you don't heat it up.

This will be primarily a hunting rifle. I'll play with it on targets some obviously but after the first 300-400 rounds, it'll mainly be a hunter. Replacing a barrel is minor. I'll trade performance for barrel wear any day of the year. Man, that sounded good. It took me alot of years to learn to say that and actually mean it.

This will be primarily a hunting rifle. I'll play with it on targets some obviously but after the first 300-400 rounds, it'll mainly be a hunter. Replacing a barrel is minor. I'll trade performance for barrel wear any day of the year. Man, that sounded good. It took me alot of years to learn to say that and actually mean it.
I'll slow mine down and get more life and better accuracy out of it.. I slowed the 131's down to 2975 with a SD of 3 and ES of 7 still has 1800 ft-lb of energy at 1200 yards @5,500 ft above sea level.. I'll get more life out of my barrel and still be able to shoot farther then I will probably ever need..

Might look at the ballistics between the two then talk to me..
Look at the ballistics he says

Laugh.gif