25-284 change my mind

I understand since you already have the brass lying around, but would there be an advantage over the 25-06ai or the 257 Weatherby?

Didn't read the whole tread, take a hard look at the 25 Souper (25/308).

Great cartridge IMHO!

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Long ago I loved to wildcat...neck down...neck up--fire form. I spent a significant amount of time making ammo..and while I found it cathartic my time and some of the joy of crafting ammo left me and I swore off wildcats. Fast foward to 2020 of COVID --and 2021 the worst Winter storm ever down hear and being stuck in and around the house for close to a year. Being stuck at my home with just generator power I cleaned out a significant portion of my shooting shack, and found 2 big bags of 6.5-284 (around 600 pieces of brass--mainly Lapua and Norma)..I also want another fast 25 ( I have two 257 weatherby--but both have 1-10) with a fast twist to shoot the Blackjack, heavy hammers, and the new Berger (1-7). Should I go with the easy wildcat I said I'd never do again--or sell all this **** brass and build a 25-06, and be happy--got a lot of 25-06, and 270 brass too... will Build on a Tikka T3 and stay with a 20-23 in barrel...nothing longer as I will shoot mostly with a supressor.
25-06 AI nothing fancy and easy to create brass

Long ago I loved to wildcat...neck down...neck up--fire form. I spent a significant amount of time making ammo..and while I found it cathartic my time and some of the joy of crafting ammo left me and I swore off wildcats. Fast foward to 2020 of COVID --and 2021 the worst Winter storm ever down hear and being stuck in and around the house for close to a year. Being stuck at my home with just generator power I cleaned out a significant portion of my shooting shack, and found 2 big bags of 6.5-284 (around 600 pieces of brass--mainly Lapua and Norma)..I also want another fast 25 ( I have two 257 weatherby--but both have 1-10) with a fast twist to shoot the Blackjack, heavy hammers, and the new Berger (1-7). Should I go with the easy wildcat I said I'd never do again--or sell all this **** brass and build a 25-06, and be happy--got a lot of 25-06, and 270 brass too... will Build on a Tikka T3 and stay with a 20-23 in barrel...nothing longer as I will shoot mostly with a supressor.
I built my 25x284 last year using a Ruger 77 long action, #5 26" Krieger 1:7 twist. The long action lets me shoot the longer bullets while they fit in the magazine without issue. I shoot the 131 ACE bullets and they are lasers and are capable of killing any game from antelope to moose. I harvested a cow elk with it this last season. 1 shot DRT.. I have also played with the 128 gr Hammer bullets but haven't decided on a load for it yet. Waiting on the 133 gr Berger hunting VLD to see how it will do. The long range capability is awesome. Comparing it to the longer cases 25-06 and such will give you magazine problems due to the length of the bullets. Good luck with your build, I know you will love it...

Attachments

• Riley's Load Development Page - Sheet48.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 158
I was going to buy a reamer off the blackjack site ...or order one from Manson..I have a 308 tikka that is not used, so there is my action, I shot a 6.5-284 for about 8 years exclusively for big game hunting. I shot it enough to shoot out 2 barrels--these are the remains...I have about 150 pieces of Lapua that is new, 200 it looks to be once fired and looks to be 220 pieces that has been shot multiple times..just wanted something that was fast--that I would not have to "reinvest" in. I looked really hard at the Blackjack 257 Blackbird--buying new expensive cases--I talked myself off the ledge. I like short barrels as they ride good in the pickup--and if you pack in with a backpack they carry so much better, so would like to be efficient as possible..im not a AI guy as I feel I spend the first shots getting it ready to see what it will do, or buy a hydraulic die...then I'm back why I'm not a wildcatter anymore...I sure like a 25-06 as I used one of those hunting for quite some time--the first big game rifle I bought with my money, but as a poster said earlier it might not be the best fit for the Tikka...really liked the 6.5-284-killed a lot of stuff with it...most of my out of country hunts I've been using my 7 SAUM,338 Norma 338 RCM, or 7 mm rem mag, and officially retired the 6.5-284 as I sold that gun 5 years ago. I find myself hunting around here a 22 creedmoor, 257 WBY mag, or my short 338 RCM...and I really like the 22 and 338 because I run them suppressed and makes it really nice to hunt....again thank you guys for the suggestions.

Last edited:
I built my 25x284 last year using a Ruger 77 long action, #5 26" Krieger 1:7 twist. The long action lets me shoot the longer bullets while they fit in the magazine without issue. I shoot the 131 ACE bullets and they are lasers and are capable of killing any game from antelope to moose. I harvested a cow elk with it this last season. 1 shot DRT.. I have also played with the 128 gr Hammer bullets but haven't decided on a load for it yet. Waiting on the 133 gr Berger hunting VLD to see how it will do. The long range capability is awesome. Comparing it to the longer cases 25-06 and such will give you magazine problems due to the length of the bullets. Good luck with your build, I know you will love it...
I think that would be the way to go with a 25 cal wildcat the 284 case is really strong at the webbing as I'm sure you would know my first wildcat was a 6.5 -06 then rebarreld to 6.5-284 you have more mag length and l think tha case is stronger at the head to take hotter loads and not expand primer pockets good luck on that build should be a screamer

I understand since you already have the brass lying around, but would there be an advantage over the 25-06ai or the 257 Weatherby?

Pretty impressive

Bought a reamer from Blackjack. Shot just about all my 131s. Then got some Hammers. 3200 no problem and very accurate. Love mine. Probably won't fool with the BJs any more. Built on a LA 700. Yep - it's a laser and shoots great at 400. Far as I shoot.

Pretty impressive
The magazine is the biggest advantage. The length of the 131 Ace limits your COAL. Nothing wrong with a 25-06 AI except you will have to get new brass to fireform for it. I have just been necking down 6.5x284 brass. Makes this round easy when brass is available. When this snow breaks I am going to get out and push it to see just how far I can push this bullet.

The magazine is the biggest advantage. The length of the 131 Ace limits your COAL. Nothing wrong with a 25-06 AI except you will have to get new brass to fireform for it. I have just been necking down 6.5x284 brass. Makes this round easy when brass is available. When this snow breaks I am going to get out and push it to see just how far I can push this bullet.
Ya I've got several hundred pieces of 6.5-284 brass. Been using my 6.5-284 FL bushing die to neck it down. I use a .285 neck bushing and its perfect. Just need the barrel to arrive soon to get going.