I made up my mind

Elkriver

I want a 7mm rem mag but have been looking & looking & thinking ... I'm not a gun person meaning I don't know what makes one better than the other ... Like a custom gun to a high end gun .. Looked at hart custom bolts .. Hill???? Out of Vermont ... & a Montana at a local shop .. this will be a range & in the woods hunting gun for trip not local hunting .....any pointers would help

I want a 7mm rem mag but have been looking & looking & thinking ... I'm not a gun person meaning I don't know what makes one better than the other ... Like a custom gun to a high end gun .. Looked at hart custom bolts .. Hill???? Out of Vermont ... & a Montana at a local shop .. this will be a range & in the woods hunting gun for trip not local hunting .....any pointers would help

Look at the Remington 700 Long Range. They offer it in 7mm Rem Mag. It should be a shooter. And if it's not, you can always get it trued up and have the barrel hand-lapped & re-crowned for a couple-hundred bucks, and it should be a shooter then.

Look at the Remington 700 Long Range. They offer it in 7mm Rem Mag. It should be a shooter. And if it's not, you can always get it trued up and have the barrel hand-lapped & re-crowned for a couple-hundred bucks, and it should be a shooter then.

+1 this rifle is definitely going to be sweet. Its such a great deal, brings a lot to the table for $700, B&C stock, 26" heavy barrel, available in great calibers, and its a Remington so is going to be a shooter for sure.

I have a few Remington's now just want some thing diffrent I want a tack driver longs I can see the tack

I have a few Remington's now just want some thing diffrent I want a tack driver longs I can see the tack

That Remington isn't going to be no slouch in the accuracy department, that's for sure. Get that new Long Range rifle bedded up with that aluminium bedding block and man will that thing shoot. It will probably shoot better than you can shoot it. Will surely be under 1/2 MOA when bedded, shooting a good load, with great glass on top. Definitely will shoot right with a custom you'd spend 3x more for.

What's hand laped mean & re crowned mean sorry very green

Hand-lapping is where the smith makes a bore slug of your barrel with hot lead, and uses lapping compound and runs that slug up and down the bore removing tooling marks from where the bore and rifling were cut. It basically smooths everything out and helps to remove rough spots that cause copper fauling and buildup.

Re-crowning is where the smith re-cuts the crown on the barrel because factory crowns suck. Crowns are very important, because if you have a chipped or uneven crown your barrel gasses (that propel the bullet down the barrel) will expel funny or uneven and it can kick the bullet a certain direction causing inconsistant accuracy and shifting point of impact.

I shoot 1/2 now with my savage axis and about same with the two 700 I own I'll look into it when I get a chance to go to gun shop

Thanx for the info dose Montana gun company do that stock or dose any one own a Montana rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.