25-284 change my mind

Back to the comments of shooting barrels out. I shot between 4700 and 4800 loads through my 6.5x284 and that's when things went really south. It started about 4500. I wish I had a bore scope to look at the throat to see what it look like. I put the gun away until last month and decided to give it a harsh clean down and possible take it out and shoot to see if it is still poop. I'm sure it need the barrel replace but why the hell not. I have brass powder and bullets. It might be cheaper to just have it bore scooped so I can see what it looks like inside

I'm sure all my 6.5-284 barrels could have gone much longer but it got to around moa accuracy so I put new barrels on. For deer at 250 or closer, I'm sure even a 2 moa barrel would be fine.

Back to the comments of shooting barrels out. I shot between 4700 and 4800 loads through my 6.5x284 and that's when things went really south. It started about 4500. I wish I had a bore scope to look at the throat to see what it look like. I put the gun away until last month and decided to give it a harsh clean down and possible take it out and shoot to see if it is still poop. I'm sure it need the barrel replace but why the hell not. I have brass powder and bullets. It might be cheaper to just have it bore scooped so I can see what it looks like inside
If it doesn't shoot after the good cleaning, you may want to try fire lapping and see if it brings it back to life. If that doesn't do it, you have exhausted all options and need a new barrel.

"If it doesn't shoot". What exactly is that definition ? Many of my buddy's factory deer rifles shoot 2-2.5" groups. That's my definition of "doesn't shoot". He's never missed or not killed a deer annually with one shot DRT. His definition is "It shoots". Everyone's acceptable rifle accuracy is different. Like I said, for me when my barrels get to one moa, they get replaced. Exception is a .270 I own that needs a new barrel as it holds 1-1.5 moa but only gets shot at less than 200 yards max on deer. I'll hold off on this replacement

If it's got over 4500 rounds through it; it owes you nothing. If it's not shot out it's gotta be close. I'd rebarrel. I've had a few barrels go south around the 1700 round mark. A 300 rum and a 25-06 AI. Could use a tape measure to measure throat erosion. Didn't need calipers.

Spend 50$ on a teslong bore scope, plugs into your phone. They're fantastic. I love mine. It has turned me into a barrel snob tho. Ever chamber job I get back from a smith, I carefully inspect the lands, shape of em, how symmetrical they are around the entire radius, inspect all the crowning work. Sometimes I've been greatly disappointed, before I call a smith out, I shoot it, and if it doesn't shoot like I'd expect, that's when I talk to the smith. I also realized, when I thought I had a barrel clean, I never really did. It's easy to get all the carbon out, copper is even still in there when my botetech c4 isn't turning blue anymore. It's a tool to inspect, but don't let it rule how you look at the barrel, use it as a gauge.

Spend 50$ on a teslong bore scope, plugs into your phone. They're fantastic. I love mine. It has turned me into a barrel snob tho. Ever chamber job I get back from a smith, I carefully inspect the lands, shape of em, how symmetrical they are around the entire radius, inspect all the crowning work. Sometimes I've been greatly disappointed, before I call a smith out, I shoot it, and if it doesn't shoot like I'd expect, that's when I talk to the smith. I also realized, when I thought I had a barrel clean, I never really did. It's easy to get all the carbon out, copper is even still in there when my botetech c4 isn't turning blue anymore. It's a tool to inspect, but don't let it rule how you look at the barrel, use it as a gauge.
My teslong just made me aware how bad I sucked at cleaning barrels. Didn't make me come to realize my gunsmith or barrel maker suck at their jobs. There still golden. It's exactly what you said, another tool on my gun maintenance belt.

This was a .1/2 MOA gun that in about 300 rounds went to a 1MOA. Funny thing its just a regular hunting rifle that jot used for long range steal and rocks. It never drew blood but its been the best shooter I have had to date next to my 300 RUM Sendero and its a .5MOA as well. This is just my own personal stopping point at trying to develop a load