25-06

etisll40

I don't own a 25 caliber and I thought I'd look for one this year. What do you guys think of it. I'd say the primary use would be whitetail, most shots under 300, seems like that would be max if accurate, maybe less? I've heard a little about 25-06ai, is that worth it. It's one of the only calibers I don't have, so just want to play around with it. Anyone shooting it, bullet ideas?

I love my .25-06 AI. Smooth shooting round. I use cheap Winchester .270 Win brass that I form and cut down. I use Berger 115 VLD's. Haven't had a chance to finish load development yet, but it should be REALLY fast once I find my max safe load. As soon as I get it done, I will take it in the woods to see if I can drop a few deer with it. Hopefully I'll have time to do it before the end of deer season (ends Jan 31).

IMHO, 300yrd shots with this cartridge is where it begins, not ends. They are simple to make with this round. My rifle has a MPBR of 346yrds with a 8" diameter target or 309yrds with a 6" diameter target. Either sight in is a dead on hold out to those 2 ranges, makes hits at those ranges fairly simple.
I run 110gr Accubonds as my 'go-to' round for deer and most other critters, and if I'm going after anything bigger, I run 115gr Partitions. POI is barely a 1/4" difference, so I just point and shoot with either load.
I'm a big fan of the 25-06, have had the AI in the past, not worth the extra work for me in forming cases for less than 100fps gain.

Cheers.
gun)

Good stuff, I'll have to get some starting loads from you. Any action type better for feeding and ejecting? Can a rem 700 short action be used? Or strictly long actions?

I have used the 25-06 Rem. for around 25 years and it is an easy out to 500 yard deer slayer with 115 to 120 gr bullets. I have killed deer further away but works best inside 500 yards. I like 26" barrels and feel that it needs at least 24" barrel. It is easy to find a very accurate and deadly load with either H4831 or IMR 4350 and I have used a lot of different bullets over the years of doing crop damage control work of shooting hundreds of deer and it is my experience that it is hard to beat the old school 117 Sierra and I have had better accuracy with the flat base Pro Hunter over the Game King boat tail bullet. For out to 350 yards with no dialing or hold over sight in your rifle POI to be 3 inches high at 100 yards. With the 117 Sierra going 3000 fps you will be 3 1/2" high at 200 yards and dead on the money at 300 yards and about 4" low at 350 yards. Hold center of front shoulder squeeze the trigger from point blank to 350 yards and about 99% of the time you will find that deer laying right where it was standing dead as a hammer. Over all the 25-06 has been the best kill them in their tracks caliber I have ever used and I have killed deer with about everything from a stick to 45-70. I would take a long look at one of the Remington or Savage long range rifles in 25-06 or if you can find a used Remington Sendero in 25-06 they are great rifles.

You'll love the 25-06. Hard to beat for varmits to Mule Deer. It has laser like trajectory, is typically super accurate and also easy on the shoulder. As a previous poster stated, 300 yards is where it begins and not ends, with the 25-06. Don't let the 6mm crowd sway you with the bullet selection argument. Truth is, unless your shooting past 500 yds, bullet BC's don't make much difference.

Not a fan of the Ackley. Imo, too much work and not enough reward, unless you like to tinker and or have plenty of spare time to dink around fire forming. If you want more velocity, step up to the 257 Weatherby.

My favorite powder, hands down is H4831sc, with either the 100 Ballistic Tip or 100 Sierra Pro Hunter. The 100 Pro Hunter is not a fancy bullet, but boy is it accurate and kills like lightning. Don't have much experience with the 110-120 gr bullets. The 100 gr bullets imo, provide the most versatility.

Good luck with your decision.

Good stuff, I'll have to get some starting loads from you. Any action type better for feeding and ejecting? Can a rem 700 short action be used? Or strictly long actions?

A long action will make life easier, it would be difficult getting the 25-06 living in a short action without problems. My owm rifles are in Rem 700 LA and Ruger M77MKII LA. I can only load to SAAMI COAL 3.250" due to throat restrictions, there is plenty of room in the magazine to load to longer specs, but I have no need to.
I like H1000, Retumbo, RE22 and RE25 to test first in the 25-06 for pills 100gr on up. I have had the best speeds and accuracy with RE25, my 115gr load prints 5 shots into a ragged hole at 200yrds and the 110gr load is only a little over .25MoA.
You will be amazed how flat this cartridge shoots, I know I was, 300yrd shots came as easy as 100yrd shots.

Cheers.
gun)

I killed the last mule deer doe I shot a few years back with a borrowed Marlin 25-06 spitting 100bt's out with I 4831 behind them. I put two rounds over her back at a bit over 300 before I realized how flat shooting the rifle really was. I then adjusted the sights, let one fly, and had to get my knife bloody....

I knew I'd have to have one. If Lefty has one, I'll find one.

Happy New Year Lefty

And a Happy New Year to you too my friend.:D

I don't have a 25-06, but my Pops does and I borrowed it a few years back when my 270 acted up. Kills very well for the bullet size.
I personally have a win m70 Coyote in 25wssm that starts pills at the same speed. Good cal., but I wouldn't go with a wssm until they get more brass on the market... They won't until they catch up on the main line stuff.

I bought the first factory 25-06 that came out in 1970 and shot it for 30 years. It was a 700 BDL and I still have the action on my 6.5 Sherman. I can tell you that with 100 to 120 grain bullets such as speer, sierra, hornady, and nosler, deer sized animals are normally bang/flop! I have killed elk at over 400 yards with 115 Nosler partitions. If all you had was 4831, you couldn't go too far wrong although any powder from 4350 and slower work well. You will love it...........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.