.25-06

Bigswedegml

I currently have a stock Stevens 200 in .25-06 that will shoot 110gr Accubonds with 57gr of Retumbo under 3/4" at 100 yards. All I have done to it is shave away some of the plastic stock that was touching the barrel.

I have always wanted to get a Sendero in .25-06.

I am wondering if I should buy a Sendero outright. Or should I get a SPS and build one of my own? What would you guys recommend.

I have thought about just keeping my Stevens. If I did, I would want to put a more heavy duty stock on it, and I am having trouble finding one for it.

Do you guys think I should just stick with my Stevens or go the Semi-custom/Custom route?

I ultimately want a consistant 500-600 yard coyote/deer gun and I love the .25-06 round.

Sorry for all the questions I just have a lot of questions and I have been looking for different opinions for what I am thinking of doing.

well i'd say since u like the caliber and it shoots well enough for the range you're talking about that i'd keep it and just get more practice with it as is, maybe invest in a trigger if u need it or something. but i dont know how much practice u have long range hunting and shooting, but i think its good to just start with a factory rifle that shoots well to start like i've done.

If I keep my Stevens I will definately get the trigger from Sharp Shooters Supply. If I can find a good aftermarket stock for it also, I will definately keep it.

The main reason I have thought about the Remington is that I have always liked Remingtons and you can get stuff for them everywhere.

Do some shooting at 500 - 600 yards with your current rifle before you give up on it. Just might surprise you! I was ringing the gong regularly at 466 yards a couple of days ago with my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL. Just a factory built, skinny barrel sporter rifle...

Typically those Savage/Stevens rifles shoot rather well.

yep my factory savage 243 skinny bbl shoots great, got it in the gun photo forum. i've shot it on out to 850y, dont underestimate a rifle. you said it shoots 3/4" at 100, mine does, thats enough accuracy to get to 600y easy.

I know Tikka makes a very accurate .25-06. the Tikka T3 (Hunter, esp) has a great trigger, as well as a very well-balanced stock/barrel combo.

(Hi folks, first post. woo)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.