25 06 on deer

I read on these pages fairly often on how the hammer bullets will put all animals it touched into an instant deep sleep. If I can't find any Nosler ab I'm going to have to try something else. It's just that the 75/92 grain seems a bit light?
Deleted Post

Last edited:
I read on these pages fairly often on how the hammer bullets will put all animals it touched into an instant deep sleep. If I can't find any Nosler ab I'm going to have to try something else. It's just that the 75/92 grain seems a bit light?
I understand completely. I still find myself every now and then thinking something sounds too light, and we have been doing this for quite a while now. We all learned heavy for caliber is the way to go. This was for good reason. Not too awful many years ago there were few bullets that could withstand a launch much over 3000 fps. Then if you had one that would handle the launch there was a very good chance that if you had a short range shot it would come all undone on impact and not penetrate well and you would have a train wreck. We don't have trouble with either of these things. We have yet to launch one too fast or impact one too fast. For that matter we have yet to over spin a bullet. They retain basically the same weight from high or low vel impacts. So when a bullet will hold together you don't have to worry about running too fast. Higher impact velocity that will still straight line penetrate through on shoulder or hard quartering and still work perfect on a pure lung shot just can't be beat. Roy Weatherby was right. He just didn't have bullets that could hold up to what he wanted to do.

Light Weight, Copper, Mono's, do SHED Velocity ( Penetration & Shock, Lacking ),.. Quickly !
They ARE, almost, Worthless as "Killers",. past, 500 Yards.
Stick with, the Heavier, ELD-X's and Berger, H-VLD's / Elites, etc. !
Or, AccuBonds,.. IF,.. you can find them.
Apache Trackers, are still looking for, some Coues Deer, in Arizona that were, shot with, the Smaller Mono's at,.. 450+ Yards !
All Kidding aside, IT WAS, a serious Rodeo for, a couple of Guys that, posted about, their Exploits on, here !
They did finally, find their Deer, several Hours, later !
Don't lump my bullet in that blanket statement. Be specific.

Just ran some quick numbers at 3800' elev. Cuz thats what I had in the app. 3700 fps with the 75g Hammer Hunter ( should be very easy in the 25-06) would still have an impact vel of 2200 fps at 500y. Still very good for terminal performance.

Been hunting with a 25-06 for a few years now and have taken a few deer with it. Have always used 100gr Balistic Tips. Try to shoot behind shoulder or neck. Meat loss can e an ssue though.

Been hunting with a 25-06 for a few years now and have taken a few deer with it. Have always used 100gr Balistic Tips. Try to shoot behind shoulder or neck. Meat loss can e an ssue though.
The "tougher" AccuBond, will ruin, LESS Meat at, .25-06 Velocities,..
IF, .. you can find, some !

I was replying to Mcranch with,.. a Story about, 2 Coues deer being shot in Az. that, was posted, on HERE about, 4 to 6 Months ago, both were shot at past, 450 yards with, 6 MM's, 85 to 87 grain copper, Bullets, IIRC,.. Can't remember, the Brand or, Velocity, used.
No Penetration,, not much blood, Hours of, criss cross, "Tracking" to find them. Those 2 Hunters said,.. "Never again", w/ LIGHT wt., Mono's.
Hey, any bullet,.. "can",.. Fail
This statement still implies light mono's meaning any light mono. Thus my statement... Don't lump my bullet in your blanket statement. Because it is not true. Your statement is true for the particular bullet that they were using. Not all mono's. We are very careful not to market a bullet that is not perfect for terminal performance. This is the most important quality of a hunting bullet period. The whole reason we started making bullets. We are hunters and we eat what we kill. I don't have store bought meat in my freezer.

Can't remember, the initial, 6 MM, Velocity but, it seemed, a little SLOW to me at, approx. 3,200-3,300 FPS ( 6 XC, IIRC ) and the Bullet, probably slowed, way down at, over 450 yards.
And, the POI ( slightly quartering ) may NOT, have been,.. Perfect ?
So in the end it may not have been a bullet problem at all. It may have been a problem of loading a bullet to a velocity that was not suitable for the distance shot or a shot placement problem. So you came to the conclusion from the improper use of whatever bullet they were using, and decided that all mono bullets are not good for long range hunting? Then decided to tell everyone on a public forum that mono bullets (meaning all of them) are not suited for distances beyond 500y?

IF, it will make you feel better,.. I'll Delete my Posts, on the "light weight', Mono,.. Subject.
Sorry,.. DONE !

Last edited:
IF, it will make you feel better,.. I'll Delete my Posts on the light weight Mono,.. Subject.
No need. I, as a mono bullet manufacture do not like being lumped into "mono bullets are not good for..." statement. It is like saying never use lead core bullets because I saw one fail. That statement would cover 99% of all bullets manufactured.

Mcranch that is the main reason for my switch to Hammers.Nosler has no Accubond bullets anywhere.That used to be my favorite bullet but since Nosler is either not making them anymore or hording to raise prices I have adopted the Hammer Hunter 180 gr bullets as my go to load.
So easy to develop a load for Hammers that I don't know why it took me this long.

Recent Posts