25-06 vs 260 for Deer

Pbailey

For a deer rifle that is going to have a Vortex 6.5-20x50 put on it, which do you think is a better caliber? I know the 260 shoots a heavier bullet but a little slower, and the 25-06 shoots a little lighter bullet a bit faster. For deer, which do you think is a better caliber?

Yes I do reload.

Expecting to shoot a max of probably 600 with this gun.

Considering a Tikka or Savage rifle out of the box.

Thank you

Either will do if you are just going to shoot out to 600. The 260 is just gonna be a little more forgiving out at the longer ranges. If you are going to go with the 06 at those ranges then you are going to want to go with a 115 gr bullet and up with a good BC. The 260 is gonna out do the 2506in velocity at anything over around 300 yds and further and it is going to beat the 06 in energy anytime. If I were you, I would go with the 260 just for the sake of the awesome BC of the 6.5 mm bullets and the extra energy at the longer ranges. Plus, once you get a deer at 600 you won't be happy with just 600. You will want to go 700 then 800 and the 260 can do a deer in at those ranges too but not the2506 .

How fast do you think I could load the 260?

With 140 VLD's you can get velocities in the 2800-2900 with extended seating depth(3.1"), depending in barrel length and accuracy sweet spot. To feed from the magazine you will need a long action because of OAL. This will be an issue in factory .260's. It is a short action caliber. Out to 600 yards I think either caliber will do the job very well. Past 700 yards for deer, both run out of steam pretty fast.

Over the last 5 years, I've killed 2 mule deer, one at 250 and the other at 275 yards with my .25-06 Ackley and 2 Coues deer with my .260, one at 200 yards, the other at 60 yards. While all deer were one-shot kills, the velocity at which the Barnes XLC 100 grain bullets from the 25-06 AI (muzzle velocity was chronographed averaging 3540 fps) hit the mule deer made them drop in their tracks, as if hit by lightning. Both deer were found with their heads and necks turned in the direction of bullet impact and with their mouths wide open. I have killed many similar and larger sized critters, but have only seen this on those 2 deer. Both Coues deer hit with the .260 ran about 20 yards after being hit and then dropped dead. Bullets used were Nosler 130 gr. Accubond loaded to 2850 fps. muzzle velocity.

For a deer rifle that is going to have a Vortex 6.5-20x50 put on it, which do you think is a better caliber? I know the 260 shoots a heavier bullet but a little slower, and the 25-06 shoots a little lighter bullet a bit faster. For deer, which do you think is a better caliber?

Yes I do reload.

Expecting to shoot a max of probably 600 with this gun.

Considering a Tikka or Savage rifle out of the box.

Thank you
Hands down I'd go with the .260. In fact I did and haven't looked back.

I shot a 25-06 for many years and find the .260 completely superior.

I like both calibers. My main gun has been the .25-06 for over 40 years or even before Remington came out with the .25-06 but with all that said I will still give the edge to the .260 Rem for one reason that that is bullet weight unless you are shooting some of the custom bullets with a weight of 130 grains. Both are great calibers. Heck just buy a Savage action and two barrels in both of those calibers and shoot them both.

I have been looking at both options too. I have a Savage 110 in 30-06 that just sits around as a backup gun right now, and I'm going to re-barrel and build a smaller LR rig. I think I've settled on 25-06 AI...but that could change.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.