25-06 or 260 or.....

plinker31

I'm wanting to build a lightweight whitetail rifle. 22" barrel or less. I don't reload and have no idea what caliber I want. Need help on a light recoil rig and don't have a full understanding of the different powders and what would get a complete burn in a short barrel.

Concerns are: light recoil, flat trajectory, and I want to be able to shoot up to 500 yds - all in 7 lbs or less.

Tikka T3 in 25-06.. Comes with 22" barrel and very accurate and light. The gun will shoot great and easily will reach your yardage goals

Thanks I am probably going to have something built I just don't know what caliber. I hade a 308 built on a 700 action i am trying to sell to fund the new project if it doesn't sell I could rebuild on that action but still not sure what caliber. The more I read the more confused I get. I am very new to custom guns and long range shooting I made uneducated decisions on my first build and wound up with a great shooting gun that was nothing like what I wanted and now have a bad tast in my mouth

What are your complaints with the 308? I would think that would suit your criteria stated, besides the fact its not a 25-06 or a 260. If you dont sell it there are some great cartridges you could use off that action.

The 308 shoots great a lot better than I can. It was my fault t never got anything in writing when we started the build. I wanted a light weight short barreled hunting rifle I ended up with a short heavy tactical rifle. It is a blueprinted Remington sps barreled action with hs stock Jewell trigger Harris bipod acushot monopod and a Ziess 4.5-14 x 50 if anyone is interested cash or trade. Back to the point it is a great gun just not what I wanted and if I start over I want a smaller and flatter shooting caliber.

Not many folks do this anymore ,but a 125-130 gn is a pretty good little white tail round in a 308. That would allow you to get some use outta that rifle. If you wanna try a different cartridge, im a big fan of the 22-250, the 243 win, and also the 7mm-08. Ammo is pretty available, relatively priced and accurate. With the 22-250 i would try to take pretty close shots. Ive seen people take mid range body shots on deer with that round but i dont think its a good idea.

What would be an affective range on a whitetail with 243? I could use my action for that where the 25-06 I would have to get a long action and from what I have read I would also want the LA for a 260 if in the future I start hand loading

.25-06 AI would be a great one. It's too bad you don't reload, because .257 Wby Mag is one of the best whitetail & antelope rounds out there.

reloading equipment is going to happen in the future so I am open to any and all suggestions as long as factory ammo is available just to get me started. thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming

6.5 creedmoor or 260 the hornady factory ammo for the 6.5 is great and you can save the brass for when you start loading. The 123 or 140 amax will shoot great and kill out to 700 yards. Food for thought

save your self the headache of a custom build. buy a tikka T3 in 25-06, I have one. Plus two other tikkas. They are legit as it gets, especially for under $700. If you dont like the stock, drop it in one of the Bell and Carlsons or if you want really nice go for the new Manners Elite hunter built for the T3.

I think that needing a LA in a 260 is not nessasry, I have a custom model 7 260 with extended mag box ,and have no troubles loading 140GR-160GR bullets and getting them to shoot exteamly well, although I now only reload Barnes 120 GR TTSX ,and use them on anything except moose out to 500yards , 1 Elk kill at 440 never moved from its tracks, so you could use your short action IMO. The 308 like the gentleman before me have said is also an excellent easy to load round know to kill many things including paper out to exteam distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.