25-06 or 260 or.....

The Tikka T3 in a factory rifle is likely the best offering today at a very reasonable price. However if you must go custom, 260 or 7mm-08 would be my choice in the short action or the 25-06 or 280 in a long action. All of these cartridges will handle any deer and also take game animals like elk and moose, has factory ammo available for it, and are easy to reload for once you get set up.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the help I think I have decided on the 25-06 I just have to sell the 308 first. As far as stock vs custom rifles go I will still build one it is just too much fun picking everything out and seeing how it all comes together in the end. If anyone has advice on barrel brands I am all ears like mentioned earlier I want a max length of 22" stainless the goal is short light weight

You will be limiting the ability of a2506 with a 22 inch barrel but not by much.have them screw a 260 barrel on and you will have twice the selection of loading components as well as much higher bc's to choose from. I shoot steel out to 1k I would shoot a deer at 600 in a Hart beat !

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.