25 06 on deer

No need. I, as a mono bullet manufacture do not like being lumped into "mono bullets are not good for..." statement. It is like saying never use lead core bullets because I saw one fail. That statement would cover 99% of all bullets manufactured.
My Main "concern" is that, I am NOT, "Fond" of, most "light weight" Bullets, in General, to avoid Wounding animals at,.. long Distances.
Agree that, I used, a Blunt statement of, "lumping" light weight, Mono's,.. together,.. sorry !
I'm sure that, your 92 grain bullet at, the Fast, .25-05 Velocities would be,.. fine.

Last edited:
My Main "concern" is that, I am NOT, "Fond" of, most "light weight" Bullets, in General, to avoid Wounding animals at,.. long Distances.
Agree that, I used, a Blunt statement of, "lumping" light weight, Mono's,.. together,.. sorry !
I'm sure that, your 92 grain bullet at, the Fast, .25-05 Velocities would be,.. fine.
Just because "You" are not fond of them is fine and dandy but I assure you that you are correct, They work just fine

I realise I'm late to the discussion….been using 5 different 25-06 rifles since 1988 when I got my first.
Have gone through Sierra, Speer, Nosler and Hornady bullets.
For reducing meat loss, shooting behind the shoulder is your best avenue.
My 2 favourite bullets are the Nosler 110g Accubond and Nosler 115g Partition.
The Sierra 117g SPBT is a great extended range bullet. The 120g Partition didn't perform as well as the 115g for me.
Unfortunately, it will be 5 years before I can test any of the newer bullets. I did use the Berger 115g Hybrid Hunter, but it was limited and the test number was not large enough to come to a conclusion.

Cheers.

I felt the same way about light projectiles. This year we t shot several deer with 125 noslers out of 308s this year. Pull trigger and watch the deer get flipped 180 degrees or just lights straight out. The others standing there Wondering," why did my friend just decide to lay down."

The 25:06AI has been a favorite rifle for years and has accounted for deer from 95 to 525 yards. After trying several bullets, I settled on the Barnes and Swift bullets several years ago and haven't looked back. As many others have said - shot placement is key to lack of blood shot meat.

I've read all 7 pages and there's lots of talk about the 92 gr HH but I don't recall anyone mentioning the 90 gr Absolute Hammer. With the right powder 3700fps is possible out of my 24" Xbolt and the two whitetails my son and I tried them on were impressed this last fall. One at rock throwing distance and the other one at 330 yards.

I've read all 7 pages and there's lots of talk about the 92 gr HH but I don't recall anyone mentioning the 90 gr Absolute Hammer. With the right powder 3700fps is possible out of my 24" Xbolt and the two whitetails my son and I tried them on were impressed this last fall. One at rock throwing distance and the other one at 330 yards.
How was the bloodshot? With an impact that fast I'm curious about the "hydrostatic effects" of the animal.

How was the bloodshot? With an impact that fast I'm curious about the "hydrostatic effects" of the animal.
First of all the muzzle velocity was only 3585 with the loads we took deer with. I, like a lot of the world, am short on RL-19 which seemed to be the magic powder for my rifle. The deer I took was behind a tree with just its head and neck sticking out so I shot it through the neck. It was the close up shot and unfortunately I can only comment on the entry and exit holes. The weather was unseasonably warm and I field dressed the deer and headed straight to my processor's refrigerator. The entry and exit were quite small. No more then 1/2" I would say. The deer dropped instantly.
My son's buck was taken at 330 yards. He was going for the behind the shoulder shot. The shot was more quartering away then he realized. The bullet actually struck the point of joint "The elbow if you will" on the near side. It left a 2" hole through the near side ribs, shredded the right lung and the most forward portion of the left lung. It left about a 3/4" hole on the opposite side. There was maybe a 5" spot of bloodshot area around the hole through the ribs on the entry side. I personally don't feel that was excessive after the bullet went through the joint and started expanding before it went through the ribs. The deer went about 100 yards. He had most of its left lung left because of the angle of the shot. I was happy with the bullets performance under the circumstances. I know my two examples are limited and I wish I could give you more information. I'm definitely going to keep using them.

I have used 100 gr tsx and 117gr sp behind the shoulder and no more meat loss than anything else.good luck.