243 Lapua Brass Issues

270Weatherby

I recently bought a box of Lapua .243 brass to load up for my Tikka. I have been running into an issue and need help. Some of the brass the bolt wont close on or is very difficult to close. This is new, unfired. i tried both FL sized and staight from the box. They are not too long and it isnt consitent with every pieceof brass. Some fit fine with no issues some are next to worthless. The only thing I see is the case head is all scuffed up on the ones that are hard to close the bolt. Is this a case head issue? this happens with both loaded and empty brass. I bought Lapua because of quality reputation and I am really bummed out. I only find a email for customer service from Lapua, so they are no help so far.

Sounds like you need to bump the shoulders back, which is weird. I run Lapua through my 243 and have never had this issue. Have you reloaded any other brand of brass and had issues? Do you have a fired case and a way to measure head space? if so I would start there and compare the two.

I have used lapua in several calibers (6), including .243 ( 4 different ones) and not had a problem. have you tired other brands?

You need to figure out if it's brass or the chamber causing the issue.
I don't want to skew your investigation, but I'd be surprised if it was a new Lapua brass problem.

Shoulder was bumped, not as headspace issue. Factory Fed loads are no problem. I usually use Nosler brass in my other guns. This is a new Tikka... how can i tell if its a chamber issue or a brass issue if some of the brass works and some doesn't in the same lot of brass?
side note, this box came with 101 pieces, is that normal for Lapua?

Measure the brass

Attachments

• 243Win.jpg
    243Win.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 99
Make sure the "scuffed up" ones are fitting into the bolt face. I think you should be able to check this by hand after removing the bolt from the action.

Good idea on the bolt face mustang58. If they are not fitting into the boltface, then what? Is that an extractor issue? Thanks fot he help

I don't think it is the extractor but rather the scuffs are preventing the case head from seating in the bolt and it would act like the cartridge is too long for the chamber. If this turns out to be the problem maybe you could dress up the case head with a file or sand paper. Just don't remove more than necessary.

Keep us posted on this issue as I have never heard of anything like it. I use Lapua brass all the time and have never had a problem.

It could be the rim/extractor area groove is too large on some of the brass. Have you measured those areas and compared to the brass that fits properly?

Also what is the boltface measurement? It could be that the brass is slightly oversize and the bolt face is on the tight side.

You could try to remove some metal from the rim or extractor groove of a tight fitting piece as well.

Shoulder was bumped, not as headspace issue. Factory Fed loads are no problem. I usually use Nosler brass in my other guns. This is a new Tikka... how can i tell if its a chamber issue or a brass issue if some of the brass works and some doesn't in the same lot of brass?
side note, this box came with 101 pieces, is that normal for Lapua?

What exactly did you do to this brass before loading?

When you bumped the shoulder, did you use the expander ball and lube inside the case mouth? Resizing without lube can cause the expander ball to pull the shoulder forward and cause the problem you are describing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.