.243 win reloading issues.

For example: My Weatherby .243 shot amazingly with factory 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, but it absolutely will NOT shoot with handloaded 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, even if I duplicate the factory loads.

Voodoo indeed.

As long as you're holding onto the rifle when its shot, you are part of the equasion. Doesn't matter how the rifle's supported.

Regarding this comment:
It's probably just "Barrel harmonics".
Most folks don't realize the barrel vibrates, whips, wiggles or whatever at exactly the same frequency for each shot. There may be a slight difference in how much it does those things, but it's very, very small and insignificant as far as accuracy's concerned. After all, it's the same barrel with the same dimensions and metalurgy for each shot, isn't it? Tain't no different that a guitar string; it makes the same note every time it's plucked; gently or with gusto. Harmonics are just even multiples of that frequency and they wiggle the barrel much, much less than its basic frequency does.

Don't get me wrong here... I fully understand the dynamics that are happening with each shot. I guess there are two things I can do... one being find a load that works with the dynamics of my barrel. Two, replace the barrel. I guess there is also a third too... don't use anything larger than an 80gr... but I have a thick skull and a refuse to quit attitude... the third isn't gonna happen too soon! :D

If you want a good hunting load for deer, this is my go to load for the 243.
100gr Partition
42.5gr RL 22
CCI 200
Winchester cases

I've used it to take targets down by shooting out the thumb tacks:cool:

Well folks, I had all but given up on this fight... Until this past weekend. I went out with an idea in my head from reading here. It was along the lines of the B/C changing when using a Barnes TTX because of the all copper construction. I used the information from the Lee Reloader book of 40g of H380 for the 87gr TTX projectile... figuring that the 85 gr would be close to the problematic 87 gr.
I lined up at 100 yds (bipod and no rear bag) and shot three rounds off with a nice result... 3/4". Shot three more with the same results. After that, the temperature, wind and mosquito levels went through the roof so I called it quits.
Still doesn't explain why the 87gr's are all over the place... but I know I now can go heavier... I just don't know how. :rolleyes:

what kind of pressures were you getting with the 87's, any evidence of high pressure at all, primers cratering, case hard to extract or anything? i'm thinking i would have increased the load a bit more, but that's me!

I'm shooting 87vmax with 43.4gr of H4350. Rifle is a .243 vangaurd sub-moa with a 10twist..
69a466d1.jpg

Northern- what are going to use it for. targets?, coyotes?? should shoot everything from 55 to 100 good (except 95 vld).

I'm using it for hunting (when the season is there) but trying to find a load that works for hunting on paper.
As far as pressures, I'm seeing the primer start to flatten out... but that's it. No signs of "excessive" pressure.
I have tried the 55grns and went up to 80grns with no issue. When I got to the 87grns, that's when my issues started.
For me to find projectile here that are not of the "varmint" flavor in an 80grn is near impossible... hence the 87grns. I don't want to be using a varmint round on deer.

Morning Northernexposure
I had the same problem but with 85gr Interbonds. My .243 Win in 700 Rem ADL shoots the 87gr V-Max .75" al day long but the 85gr Interbonds I needed a rangefinder to get the group size.
I sorted the problem with some advice from the old timers to forget about how far the bullet sits from the lands but to focus on how much of the bullet is seated inside the neck. With a 6mm/.243 that is the amount that you want seated and to be hold by the case neck. I did that and my groups shrunk to under 1.5" and did my load development from there and ended up with .75" groups.

If some one already shared that advice I apologize. I skipped till the end and did not read the full post.
If no one mentioned it, use it and I assure you, you will get better results and then finalize the load work when you seat the bullet better.

I always measure my AOL of the bullet I chose to shoot. I make sure it sits at least caliber length inside the case and then start with that length for load development.
Use what ever method to get to your node/ sweet spot speed and then start tampering with the OAL by 0.002 increments.

I hope it helps. It works for me every time!

Regards
Jurgens

I sorted the problem with some advice from the old timers to forget about how far the bullet sits from the lands but to focus on how much of the bullet is seated inside the neck. With a 6mm/.243 that is the amount that you want seated and to be hold by the case neck.
If I understand all of this, it means that boattail bullets will be seated deeper in case necks by the length of their boattail ending up with shorter overall length as compared to flat based bullets of the same caliber. Heavier, large caliber boattail bullets would be seated about 1/10th inch or so deeper than flat based ones.

When I first heard of this bullet seating conundrum, I'd just started high power rifle competition and reloading my ammo. In company at dinner one evening with some of the country's top marksmen, record setters and national champs, I asked them about this. First person to respond was Sierra Bullets' ballistic tech who reloaded all their fired cases used to test their bullets for accuracy; he said if he did that at work, he would have to use larger paper for targets so all the bullet holes would be on it. Everyone else laughed and applauded his response.

41.6 gr H4350
Win Brass
WLR primer
2.64 COL
Hornady 87 gr V-Max

5 shot groups inside a dime.

Note: 43.4 gr is Maximum load, work up slowly if you need the 50 to 75 fps.

I'm using it for hunting (when the season is there) but trying to find a load that works for hunting on paper.
As far as pressures, I'm seeing the primer start to flatten out... but that's it. No signs of "excessive" pressure.
I have tried the 55grns and went up to 80grns with no issue. When I got to the 87grns, that's when my issues started.
For me to find projectile here that are not of the "varmint" flavor in an 80grn is near impossible... hence the 87grns. I don't want to be using a varmint round on deer.

Northern- a 100 or 95 partition and 4350 . awesome deer round. are you trying th 87 berger or hornady? or ??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.