243/6mm rifle build...thoughts?

Hello everyone! I'm thinking ahead a bit, but I'm considering a 6mm build in the next couple of years. I will preface this discussion with the fact that I will be building the rifle on a Remington 700 action in 243 Win. I have shot thousands of rounds out of this rifle, and it is my favorite gun. Period. I've killed prairie dogs, varmints, coyotes, deer, and antelope with it. Shot paper, steel, shotgun shell hulls, and coins with it. The thing has always been a tack driver, and I ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Anyway, my only complaint about the gun, being a factory rifle in 1-9.5 twist, is that I could not stabilize anything heavier than 95 gr pills out of it. Groing in the long range game, I've found myself leaving the gun in the cabinet in favor of my 7mm Rem mag and 308 Win.

I'm torn about what cartridge to focus on for a new build. All would have a 28 inch barrel with a 1-7" twist.

Pros - I already have a love for the chambering, I have the dies, brass, etc.
Cons - you cannot let the heavier bullets out as much (COL) as I might want to.

6CM
Pros - There are components, specifically brass, available. There is more room to seat bullets out in the short action mags.
Cons - I'd have to buy new brass and dies. I will also be honest that I don't want to become part of the CM fan Boyz 😝 I like my older cartridges.

6 GT
Pros - From everything I've read, you get more for less. The same velocity, less powder, less recoil. The chambering looks exceptionally efficient! I can let my seating depth out even more than the CM.
Cons - finding brass looks to be a pain in the ***, and again I'd have to get new dies. It doesn't hurt my pride as much as becoming a fan boy, but switching still hurts my pride a bit.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear what y'all think. Thanks in advance!
i think you would like a 6/284 with a 8 twist and 26inch tube, long range killer...

Hello everyone! I'm thinking ahead a bit, but I'm considering a 6mm build in the next couple of years. I will preface this discussion with the fact that I will be building the rifle on a Remington 700 action in 243 Win. I have shot thousands of rounds out of this rifle, and it is my favorite gun. Period. I've killed prairie dogs, varmints, coyotes, deer, and antelope with it. Shot paper, steel, shotgun shell hulls, and coins with it. The thing has always been a tack driver, and I ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Anyway, my only complaint about the gun, being a factory rifle in 1-9.5 twist, is that I could not stabilize anything heavier than 95 gr pills out of it. Groing in the long range game, I've found myself leaving the gun in the cabinet in favor of my 7mm Rem mag and 308 Win.

I'm torn about what cartridge to focus on for a new build. All would have a 28 inch barrel with a 1-7" twist.

6CM
Pros - There are components, specifically brass, available. There is more room to seat bullets out in the short action mags.
Cons - I'd have to buy new brass and dies. I will also be honest that I don't want to become part of the CM fan Boyz 😝 I like my older cartridges.

6 GT
Pros - From everything I've read, you get more for less. The same velocity, less powder, less recoil. The chambering looks exceptionally efficient! I can let my seating depth out even more than the CM.
Cons - finding brass looks to be a pain in the ***, and again I'd have to get new dies. It doesn't hurt my pride as much as becoming a fan boy, but switching still hurts my pride a bit.

I had a similar problem with my 243 not liking heavy bullets. It is the twist rate that throws the wrench into the mix. If you really want to keep the 243 caliber, just get a new barrel in a faster twist rate. A 1:8 twist will usually stabalize a 105 grain bullet, but if you went to a 1:7 you are pretty much guaranteed to stabalize a 115 gr. bullet.

I had never heard of 6mm SLR before. It seems similar to GT.

Anyone care to compare the 2 for me?
I shoot with some very knowledgable people, and a few years ago some of them were considering the 6mm SLR. I think a few of them tried it, but I have heard nothing good or bad about it recently. Almost like it never happened.

6CM

6 GT

6mm Rem > 243, 6GT, 6CM

I had never heard of 6mm SLR before. It seems similar to GT.

Anyone care to compare the 2 for me?
6GT is between the 6 Dasher and 6x47L.

6SLR is the .243 Win case with the longer neck & 30° shoulder of the 6x47L. Instead of pushing the body to shoulder junction forward like the .243AI, it instead leaves the body/shoulder, and lengthens the neck when going to the 30° shoulder.

52289393674_63f7dfdda9_b.jpg

Look at the 6XC. Peterson brass large or small primer, dies, reamers, 115 DTACs.
All at more than competitive pricing.
I only have 5 or 6- 6XC guns including the one you guys built for me, great cartridge and easy to hit accuracy loads, works great on everything from prairie dogs- deer- pigs ect and just a lot of fun to shoot. I can vouch that the Peterson brass is outstanding.

6CM

6 GT

I've

6CM

6 GT

6CM

6 GT

Keystone, here's my recipe, been there done that, keep your .243 and go out and buy the best quality rifle that you can afford in the caliber you decide on and start shooting. What you see here is a Remington 700 with a Lilja Montana barrel, Baker break, Vortex first focal plane scope, Vortex match rings, Leupold flat top base, a high quality two-stage hunting trigger and a custom T-Rex camo paint job all on a hunting rifle. I shoot my reloads for practice and then I use the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain commercial ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_201404089.jpg
    IMG_20230623_201404089.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230623_201344205.jpg
    IMG_20230623_201344205.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
I've got the itch now!
Like you, I just need to decide on cartridge.
I have a heavy 7.5t barrel sitting in my gun safe. My old .243ai is basically shot out.
The first 5" of the barrel looks like alligator skin.
I'm considering the 6Dasher, 6GT, 6CM, .243ai. I'll probably end up going with the .243ai.
Regardless of what you choose, I'd consider getting at least 100 NEW cartridge cases and start fresh and NOT mixing in your old brass with your new brass.
One positive thing about the ackley improved cases (someone already mentioned this) you won't need to trim very often. As long as you don't over pressure your loads and enlarge your primer pockets the brass should last a LONG time.
Lots of GREAT choices. Good luck. Keep us posted.