243/6mm rifle build...thoughts?

? Sportsman's warehouse has them now at $560?
I had some of the original RAR's and was turned off by the zipper bolt and plastic mags. They seem to be getting better and got rid of the horrible feeling zipper bolt, and I think the 6creed might actually feed well out of their mags. I've been wanting a 6creed to so I can run factory ammo. But I think Il just get a prefit barrel for one of my tikkas so everything will be extremely smooth when it comes to cycling and feeding.
Our Canadian dollar and the prices here suck. I'd like a tikka, may just rebarrel one.

Hello everyone! I'm thinking ahead a bit, but I'm considering a 6mm build in the next couple of years. I will preface this discussion with the fact that I will be building the rifle on a Remington 700 action in 243 Win. I have shot thousands of rounds out of this rifle, and it is my favorite gun. Period. I've killed prairie dogs, varmints, coyotes, deer, and antelope with it. Shot paper, steel, shotgun shell hulls, and coins with it. The thing has always been a tack driver, and I ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Anyway, my only complaint about the gun, being a factory rifle in 1-9.5 twist, is that I could not stabilize anything heavier than 95 gr pills out of it. Groing in the long range game, I've found myself leaving the gun in the cabinet in favor of my 7mm Rem mag and 308 Win.

I'm torn about what cartridge to focus on for a new build. All would have a 28 inch barrel with a 1-7" twist.

Pros - I already have a love for the chambering, I have the dies, brass, etc.
Cons - you cannot let the heavier bullets out as much (COL) as I might want to.

6CM
Pros - There are components, specifically brass, available. There is more room to seat bullets out in the short action mags.
Cons - I'd have to buy new brass and dies. I will also be honest that I don't want to become part of the CM fan Boyz 😝 I like my older cartridges.

6 GT
Pros - From everything I've read, you get more for less. The same velocity, less powder, less recoil. The chambering looks exceptionally efficient! I can let my seating depth out even more than the CM.
Cons - finding brass looks to be a pain in the ***, and again I'd have to get new dies. It doesn't hurt my pride as much as becoming a fan boy, but switching still hurts my pride a bit.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear what y'all think. Thanks in advance!
I think I'd like to maybe go a touch bigger as in a 25-06, .270 WSM, or a .280AI and try to push about 120 to 130gr pills. If I was staying with that .243 type build I'd want to shoot a bit lighter pill.

To bad, with the tikka I think you'd be a lot happier in the long run.
For sure, and what I'm thinking too. New tikkas are pricey here too, especially if I'm using as a donor for rebarreling. I'd be around $2k plus. Have to keep an eye out for used 6.5 creed, would have the M+ mag already. Save another $100 by having to get another magazine. Even used guys are wanting top dollar.

For sure, and what I'm thinking too. New tikkas are pricey here too, especially if I'm using as a donor for rebarreling. I'd be around $2k plus. Have to keep an eye out for used 6.5 creed, would have the M+ mag already. Save another $100 by having to get another magazine. Even used guys are wanting top dollar.
Maybe a Howa action would be slightly cheaper. I have a few. And they run smooth.

I know this is an older thread...however...

I got an antelope tag and I wanted to use the 108 Berger EOL in my 6mm Creedmoor.

Doing some load work up yesterday...using RL26 and a Magnetospeed chrono...

My load work ups started at 3150fps and I stopped at 3327fps with no signs of pressure. I could not believe the speeds that I was getting.

24" Criterion barrel, 1-7twist, screwed onto a ARC Nucleus action with M5/DBM and Accurate mags.

New full length resized Hornady brass loaded to 2.8" COAL, Fed LR primers...

My best ES was at 3276fps and at 3307fps.

Just wow on the speed...

I know this is an older thread...however...

I got an antelope tag and I wanted to use the 108 Berger EOL in my 6mm Creedmoor.

Doing some load work up yesterday...using RL26 and a Magnetospeed chrono...

My load work ups started at 3150fps and I stopped at 3327fps with no signs of pressure. I could not believe the speeds that I was getting.

24" Criterion barrel, 1-7twist, screwed onto a ARC Nucleus action with M5/DBM and Accurate mags.

New full length resized Hornady brass loaded to 2.8" COAL, Fed LR primers...

My best ES was at 3276fps and at 3307fps.

Just wow on the speed...
That kind of RPM on such a thin jacketed bullet tends to lead to midair blowups. Usually you can get away with it with a fresh throat. Some people claim that button rifled barrels do better, and so do 5-groove barrels. If you start having bullets fail to reach the target, you may have to switch to the 115VLD or something with a thicker jacket.

I was blowing up 108 EOL's in an 8" twist 6mm Rem. Don't remember the velocity.

@Longtooth32 I agree with @ImBillT

Run the 115, your 7 twist barrel is perfect for it and you'll loose a little velocity but you'll carry more energy down range. The 115 is designed to run in a 7 twist. I designed mine with a 7 twist Krieger on recommendation from both Berger and Krieger. Looks like I need to try some RL26. I'm getting 3045 with H4350 out of a 20" barrel.

Hello everyone! I'm thinking ahead a bit, but I'm considering a 6mm build in the next couple of years. I will preface this discussion with the fact that I will be building the rifle on a Remington 700 action in 243 Win. I have shot thousands of rounds out of this rifle, and it is my favorite gun. Period. I've killed prairie dogs, varmints, coyotes, deer, and antelope with it. Shot paper, steel, shotgun shell hulls, and coins with it. The thing has always been a tack driver, and I ❤️❤️❤️ it!

Anyway, my only complaint about the gun, being a factory rifle in 1-9.5 twist, is that I could not stabilize anything heavier than 95 gr pills out of it. Groing in the long range game, I've found myself leaving the gun in the cabinet in favor of my 7mm Rem mag and 308 Win.

I'm torn about what cartridge to focus on for a new build. All would have a 28 inch barrel with a 1-7" twist.

Pros - I already have a love for the chambering, I have the dies, brass, etc.
Cons - you cannot let the heavier bullets out as much (COL) as I might want to.

6CM
Pros - There are components, specifically brass, available. There is more room to seat bullets out in the short action mags.
Cons - I'd have to buy new brass and dies. I will also be honest that I don't want to become part of the CM fan Boyz 😝 I like my older cartridges.

6 GT
Pros - From everything I've read, you get more for less. The same velocity, less powder, less recoil. The chambering looks exceptionally efficient! I can let my seating depth out even more than the CM.
Cons - finding brass looks to be a pain in the ***, and again I'd have to get new dies. It doesn't hurt my pride as much as becoming a fan boy, but switching still hurts my pride a bit.

Those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear what y'all think. Thanks in advance!
When I was toying with the idea of shooting a 243 for 600 yard matches I did exactly what you did, same twist rate and bullet choice. I had terrible results. I read about others that were doing well but nothing I tried actually worked.
Eventually I decided that 243 was not the right caliber for me and I changed the barrel and bolt and made a 223 out of that rifle. I didn't have much luck with that caliber either. After discussing the issue with the guy who does most of the gunsmithing for our group, he suggested that I try a 6br. It is still 6mm and I am doing a little better. I came in second in the recreation catagory two years in a row.
If you did that you would still need to buy new brass and dies, but the rest is easy and not too different from shooting a 243. My rifle likes 105 and 107 grain bullets. I usually use Varget powder with a charge just under maximum in the Berger reloading book. A lot of people load their ammo up over max, but I never got good results from that, so I just stay within what the book says is OK. You will probably want a faster twist rate as well; Probably either 1:8 or 1:7.5.
Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck.

For thoughts...

Picture of my targets...

Had to stop twice because of rain, the last target, shot in the rain...wind shacking my truck...

What target would you pick for your hunt?...

Bipod and a rear bag...

lased 101 yards...

Last edited: