$2,000 to spend on scope…..

NX8
Zeiss v6
Zeiss v4
I have both the V4 & V6, awesome scopes and I really like mine, however they are 2nd focal plane. The older that I get the more I like the 2nd focal plane scopes merely because for me they are much easier to see the reticles. Mine are not illuminated which would make a big difference if they were.

I need a scope for an upcoming 6.5 SAUM build. This gun is built with intentions of being a light, handy packing rifle. Rifle should finish somewhere in the 7#'ish range sans optics.

I have a budget of NO MORE than $2,000 to spend on a scope for this rifle.

Must haves are:
  • FFP
  • 18x or higher magnification
  • MIL/MIL illuminated reticle
  • Solid positive turrets, locking elevation would be a plus.
  • 25oz or less preferred.
What is the best scope I can get for my stated budget with the options above? Again $2000 is my MAX budget.
Nightforce nx8

If you can deal with a little extra weight the TORIC UHD 30MM 4-20X50 FFP looks to fit the rest of your criteria. It will also keep $700 in your pocket! Awesome company and no, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I own one of their 3-15x hunting scopes, pair of 8 x 32 binos and 27-55x80 spotter. Absolutely blown away with the quality you get for the price. Made in the same factory as Nightforce (LOW). I own well over $15K, (****, never really added it up!) in glass so I don't say this without any experience. Call the company and you'll speak to with the owners. They are really great people and have an outstanding, transferable warranty, though I've never needed it. I dragged some of there glass over to the desert with me during my last deployment and never had a single issue but honestly I never had an issue with Trijicon, Leupold, or IOR (personal favorite if $$ isn't a factor) over there. That being said, I highly recommend you at least check them out.

Dang - can someone please generally explain how much better those scopes are than the ones that can be had for say closer to $1,000 ? And I am talking more about long range plinking - maybe an Elk Shot - 600? yards max - than Match shooting.

Thanks
So as to not hijack the OPs search thread, maybe start a new one asking that question. There are also a lot of posts addressing this you could look for using the search option. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I promise, but the info you seek is already out there.

I need a scope for an upcoming 6.5 SAUM build. This gun is built with intentions of being a light, handy packing rifle. Rifle should finish somewhere in the 7#'ish range sans optics.

Must haves are:
  • FFP
What is the best scope I can get for my stated budget with the options above? Again $2000 is my MAX budget.
Great thread! I am stuck on MOA scopes, just cause I don't want to change everything I own over to Mils. I don't need illumination. The scope goes on a long throated 300WSM T3x built by Hells Canyon, it currently weighs 8 lbs 13 oz suppressed. I would like to get it to 8.5 lbs. I am currently trying the following:

Vortex LHT 4.5-20x50 LHT 21.55oz
Leupold Mark5 HD 3.6-18x44 26oz
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 29.75oz
Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x44 21.6oz
Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x50 22.75oz

Still testing but so far I like the Mark5 the best for it's image quality and positive turrets. The Vortex is an amazing combination of features for the weight, but I personally struggle with Vortex glass, and the softer turrets.

I am just about to order a March F 3-24x42 just because it might be better than the above? Someone convince me!

All of the above scopes work...but I am just not super excited about any of them.
0311220856~2.jpg
0311220852.jpg

The Burris XTR III illuminated model was just released. They have a 3.3-18 that's 28ish oz I think. Not sure when they'll be actually purchasable though

Must haves are:
  • FFP
NF NX8 4-32X. I have 2 of them in MOA flavor. Love them

Must haves are:
  • FFP
Take a look at Tract optics.

Must haves are:
  • FFP
Quigley Ford makes a really good FFP 30mm scope ballistic ally matched to your rifle. Check them out! I own 2.

I know they aren't as high end as the scopes listed here but I have had excellent success with the vortex viper PST genii 5-25x50 FFP scopes. They are light, tough and track very well when pit to the range test. Plus the warranty would allow you to buy a gently used one and save some money to put elsewhere in the rifle (trigger, base, etc) or into extra ammo.

Nightforce nx8 4-32x50 is an amazing optic. It checks all the boxes with Nightforce reliability included. Eurooptic I believe has a couple demo models for sale. I have the 2nd focal plane version and love it. I mostly dial up when shooting and use a range finder.

Must haves are:
  • FFP
Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x

Must haves are:
  • FFP
I'd go with the leupold 5hd scope. It's lighter than most and you'll have a hard time finding something that has the clarity that this scope has.