$2,000 to spend on scope…..

Will this optic work for you? FOOD FOR THOUGHT?
5-25x Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm

We have four of them and they have been nothing less than stellar in performance.
Moreover, life time warranty replacement. Let me know. Should you chose this model I may be able to $ave you
considerably, including wanted accessories.
Here are the two links for your consideration which requires you to accept First Focal Plane and additional 6 ounces
of a little more weight for capital gain in quality:

FIRST FOCAL PLANE EBR MRAD Illuminated RETICLE Manuel

Best regards,
Armalite 7.62

I need a scope for an upcoming 6.5 SAUM build. This gun is built with intentions of being a light, handy packing rifle. Rifle should finish somewhere in the 7#'ish range sans optics.

I have a budget of NO MORE than $2,000 to spend on a scope for this rifle.

Must haves are:
  • FFP
  • 18x or higher magnification
  • MIL/MIL illuminated reticle
  • Solid positive turrets, locking elevation would be a plus.
  • 25oz or less preferred.
What is the best scope I can get for my stated budget with the options above? Again $2000 is my MAX budget.
I'd look real hard at the VX-6 in 3-18x50 or 4-24x52mm

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

I want to reiterate the requirements I am looking for since some of the optics suggested while good optics are not what I want for this build.

Must haves are:
  • FFP
  • 18x or higher magnification
  • MIL/MIL illuminated reticle
  • Solid positive turrets, locking elevation would be a plus.
  • 25oz or less preferred.
Based on those requirements it looks like the NX8 2.5-20 and the Leupold MK5
Will this optic work for you? FOOD FOR THOUGHT?
5-25x Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm

We have four of them and they have been nothing less than stellar in performance.
Moreover, life time warranty replacement. Let me know. Should you chose this model I may be able to $ave you
considerably, including wanted accessories.
Here are the two links for your consideration which requires you to accept First Focal Plane and additional 6 ounces
of a little more weight for capital gain in quality:

FIRST FOCAL PLANE EBR MRAD Illuminated RETICLE Manuel

Best regards,
Armalite 7.62
I have one of those sitting in a box. Too heavy for this application.

Already have one of these.

Not sold on it yet.

Mike:

I briefly had the LHT in reference. Had high hopes for it, but like you, I wasn't sold on it. Didn't care for the reticle below say 6 or 8x, didn't like that it didn't have a rev counter on the elevation, didn't like that the turret is 6 mil per rev - should be 5, 10 or 15 , and didn't care for the feel of the turrets. I know all of this is subjective and not definitive on its own, but just contributed to a general feeling. I didn't give one a lot of use, but read a few reports about them not tracking the best, so moved on.

I have an NX8 2.5-20. I like it, but I can see where guys knock it for the view. Tough to describe the nuance of it without looking at, but the best way I can state it is that the view is optimized so that the reticle and target are most visible. The background sometimes suffers. It bothers you more when just looking through it because you're not focused on a target; when you're shooting it's fine. You just gotta remember that it's a feature rich scope in a small package so there's going to be trade offs. People have also reported a critical eye box, but I haven't noticed it being a problem at all on a good fitting stock. To me it's not really a point and shoot at close targets in heavy cover kind of scope, anyway.

One option that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Bushnell LRHS 2 from GAP. I have a couple of these scopes in both 3-12 and 4.5-18, and while I'm always trying different scopes, I still rank the Bushies right up there. LRHS 2 is not lit, but the reticle is designed so that you really don't need it to be in order to use it at low X. This saves some weight. If you don't care for the "doughnut", the LRTS can be had lit, and it is more of a traditional ffp reticle. Overall, they've been great scopes for me, and they get a lot of things right in design and build.

Last edited:
Mike:

I briefly had the LHT in reference. Had high hopes for it, but like you, I wasn't sold on it. Didn't care for the reticle below say 6 or 8x, didn't like that it didn't have a rev counter on the elevation, didn't like that the turret is 6 mil per rev - should be 5, 10 or 15 , and didn't care for the feel of the turrets. I know all of this is subjective and not definitive on its own, but just contributed to a general feeling. I didn't give one a lot of use, but read a few reports about them not tracking the best, so moved on.

I have an NX8 2.5-20. I like it, but I can see where guys knock it for the view. Tough to describe the nuance of it without looking at, but the best way I can state it is that the view is optimized so that the reticle and target are most visible. The background sometimes suffers. It bothers you more when just looking through it because you're not focused on a target; when you're shooting it's fine. You just gotta remember that it's a feature rich scope in a small package so there's going to be trade offs. People have also reported a critical eye box, but I haven't noticed it being a problem at all on a good fitting stock. To me it's not really a point and shoot at close targets in heavy cover kind of scope, anyway.

One option that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Bushnell LRHS 2 from GAP. I have a couple of these scopes in both 3-12 and 4.5-18, and while I'm always trying different scopes, I still rank the Bushies right up there. LRHS 2 is not lit, but the reticle is designed so that you really don't need it to be in order to use it at low X. This saves some weight. If you don't care for the "doughnut", the LRTS can be had lit, and it is more of a traditional ffp reticle. Overall, they've been great scopes for me, and they get a lot of things right in design and build.
Looks like a respectable option.

My only issue is non-illuminated and the Bushnell scopes seem long in comparison to other scopes in the same class.

First of all all my scopes are sfp scopes. And moa. But seems like every time I start looking at scopes and start putting weight, power and fair amount of adjustment (and yes I know you didn't mention that). It almost always boils down to march scopes. I realize that new they exceed your budget. But it seems like every once in a while a used one will show up. The 3 scope brands I have been running are nightforce, leupold and march. Like all 3. But when I look at your requirements, to me the best choice is march if you can find one at your price point. Good luck with your search.

The Bushys are long no doubt about it. The illumination isn't a huge deal with the donut reticle. I can't think of one time when I ever kicked it on while hunting with my older LRHSi's. Very usable reticle throughout the entire mag range. Or hunt down a older illuminated version. For the money I haven't found anything that compares.

I have pretty much given up on chasing weight with scopes. The ones I like are all 28 oz+ lol. I might try another MK5 at some point, I had one with the TMR reticle and wasn't a fan of that particular reticle but the scope overall was pretty nice.

I'm just gonna keep dreaming of NF making a 3-15x42 in the same body as the 2.5-10 nxs but ffp with a little more mag and the same weight!

Looks like a respectable option.

My only issue is non-illuminated and the Bushnell scopes seem long in comparison to other scopes in the same class.

The 4.5-18's are long. But then they don't have to make some optical trade offs. Overall they still look nice mounted up. I do much prefer the 3-12's as they are shorter, but I'm only shooting out to 1k with them for fun. For hunting I don't take things that far, so 12x or even the SWFA 3-9 are good plenty. Usually run 6-8x. Really like them at 3x. The reticle is great on low X and the FOV is good. I like to track if there's snow or still hunt timber if there's nothing moving, so low X performance is as important as long range capabilities.

The Bushys are long no doubt about it. The illumination isn't a huge deal with the donut reticle. I can't think of one time when I ever kicked it on while hunting with my older LRHSi's. Very usable reticle throughout the entire mag range. Or hunt down a older illuminated version. For the money I haven't found anything that compares.

I have pretty much given up on chasing weight with scopes. The ones I like are all 28 oz+ lol. I might try another MK5 at some point, I had one with the TMR reticle and wasn't a fan of that particular reticle but the scope overall was pretty nice.

I'm just gonna keep dreaming of NF making a 3-15x42 in the same body as the 2.5-10 nxs but ffp with a little more mag and the same weight!

I'd buy 6 right off. Even better if they could put the THLR reticle in there.