If I were to spend $1K on a scope...

I'm also looking for a new Tactical scope in the $1,000 range and last month found out about Vortex Optics. Then got some info from Scott at Liberty Optics that they are getting a new Tactical this winter with similar options as the NF. "I know it's not a NF" but if It can be as expected it should be awesome. I emailed them and they confirmed a new scope coming out for shot. Plus the seam to have a rock solid warranty which is a plus.

Vortex Optics - Riflescopes

nothing works like competition to bring the best products to the public, at a fair price.
remember those 60s and 70s cars that rusted out before they were paid off?
think about that folks before it all goes away.

1K is still these days more than I would like to spend.
Back a few years ago when I was fitting barrels actions and bullets , I had 2 very keen shooters that I like very well.
1 was a FN commercial on a CM Shilen in 6mm Rem, with Walnut bench and all the bells and whistles to make it run right, everything but keeping it blue and walnut, topped w/ a Tasco 24X Japan.
The other was a 600 Rem. w/ #7 triggerguard , Shilen varmint weight SS, .220 swift w/ walnut Varmint wood w/ 36X Weaver form the same factory as the Tasco.
Had to friends that money was no problem, they bought the best and then sent them to the best tweakers, never working on their own.
Topped with only the best Leupold had to offer.
Both had their own private shooting ranges.
I was invited 3 times, took the FN all 3 times and left early 3 times.
It was hard for them to talk with all the crow feathers in their mouths.
Rifles were sent back to the tweakers, no sloppy fitting bolt action from WWII was ever going to beat thier money.
One day the Swift was rolling around in the back seat of my Blazer when one of them spied it.
he asked what I wanted for it, he was my friend and after thinking about it I said 750. He was my friend and I did not want to sell it but still gave him a low ball price.
He said he wanted to shoot it first. OK.
2 days later he shows up at my shop with gun and target in hand.
He shows me the target with 6 small holes you could almost cover with a dime.
He then told me he had only shot it the 6 ( with the rounds I gave him too).
Then he proceeded to kinda apologized for not shooting any better and offered to buy it at a lower price set by him , if I would take the Junkie Weaver off and I could keep it.
I giggled a little and put the gun with the scope still on it back in the seat of the Blazer and shut the door.
He is still my friend and I still have my swift and FN.
And they still haven't beat me.
The scopes are as good as you are confident with.
I also have Unertls, Weaver USA Targets , Redfield's, and new top line Burris's, never did own a Leupold and never will just because I beat them with "Junk" and sloppy fitting Mausers, and crappy old Remington's.
Ron

I also have a new 8x32 mildot Burris, I forget the line, w/ side focus that I bought last year still in the box,
I never mounted it because I belive the old one that is on the rifle now is just as good in vision and clarity.
Ron

All scopes over 1k should have the reticle in the first focal plane. It drives me nut that nightforce is $1500 and still in second focal plane which makes the reticle a pain to use for holdover. In order for it to be effective it requires max power then that takes away less view of the field.

All scopes over 1k should have the reticle in the first focal plane. It drives me nut that nightforce is $1500 and still in second focal plane which makes the reticle a pain to use for holdover. In order for it to be effective it requires max power then that takes away less view of the field.

I have a 5.5x22 NF and there are only two power settings that I use. 5.5 and 22. When in the field, I set my scope to 5.5. 5.5 power with the clarity and fine reticle of the NF is more than adequate for shooting game at 300-400 yds holding on, or on backbone. Outside 400 yds the power gets cranked up to 22 and the MOA holdover is as advertized.

Just me, but I see no need for FFP and actually prefer the second fp.

-MR

Just curious, but after reading this interesting thread, no one recommended the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. I had planned on getting one for a rifle I am planning to get put together and would be very interested in any relevant experience. The lower weight drew me to the Zeiss over the NF - its cheaper too <$1K. But I have no experience with this model. I do have a 3.5-10x44 that I have been very happy with.

i certainly dont intend to start a ****ing contest over scopes. i hope my comments arent taken in that context.
i am familiar with all the scopes mentioned, except the sightron and the 3200. ive used all of them also.
i wouldnt disagree with any of the comments.
i guess my question is, does anybody except me, think $1000 is still alot of money for many of us to spend for a scope?
especially when it gets such limited use by most of us?
hell many of the scopes cost more than the guns they sit on.
isnt anybody restricted by what they can or at least should spend on this stuff?
if there are, whats their alternative?
i can say what works for me, and others i know also.
i have 4 rifles i use for long range hunting. all have custom barrels and chambers. one is a heavy bench type on a custom action.
3 of the scopes are older 40mm leupolds ive owned since new. all are at least 20 years old.
the other is an old bausch & lomb 6x24 with a kuharsky micrometer.
they all still work flawlessly.
ive never missed a shot because of the age of my scope, or the fact that it isnt up to nightforce standards.
all of my scopes combined, wouldn't be worth the cost of 1 nightforce.
mind you, i'm not recomending you not buy a nightforce. or any other for that matter.
but for any out there concerned by what you spend on this stuff, take heart. the older stuff still works just fine.
and theres tons of it for sale on ebay. if it doesnt have target knobs, not to worry, they can be added.
sure the new scopes have advantages over the older ones. but conditions have to be pretty bad before your shut down because of the scope.
you'l never be stuck with a good used leupold.
sort of like buying a good low milage used car.
In Germany and most of Europe the people spend the most money on Optics and place the rifle 2nd. Irrespective of frequency of use, " One shot, one kill" the optics to them are paramount. Here in the USA people do the opposite. As for myself I will invest equally in both. The glass of Night force is signfiicant and for information the glass for Vortex Optics is crafted on the same floor in Japan as Nightforce. From Military perspective, I have competed with US OPTICS with a simple Super Sniper scope at the Racine WI, Naval base and lost against the US OPTICS. Today my wife and me have four Vortex scopes between us for M 15 -SDM rifles and larger battle 762 x 51 rifles. LaRue Tactical QD mounts support them . The glass of the Vortex are most satisfying and the drop tests these optics have gone through in their testing is reassuring. Night Force is my choice if I had the willingness to spend the $$ therefore the Vortex was our next preferred choice.

Last edited:
For that price range check out the SHV line. They have the 4-14x50 f1or you got a good choice of 2nd focal plane in that line. Nightforce took care of me and has a life long customer. Wife knocked a new nxs off the table onto a concrete floor and killed it,5-6 days later I had another one free of charge.

Attachments

• ARMALITE AR-10 T SIDE PROFILE.jpg
    ARMALITE AR-10 T SIDE PROFILE.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 46