Looking for advice, $2100 to spend on first scope.

I love my Nightforce. I used to have two of them. One was (and still is) mounted on my 277 Allen Mag w/McMillan A5 stock. Complete set up weighs around 13 lbs. The rig feels well balanced and "right". My second NXS was mounted on my 6.5-06 AI w/Manners Ultralight stock. The Nightforce on this lighter rig just never felt right. The gun was top heavy and never balance right.

The Sako A7 is designed as a lightweight rifle. Additionally, the forearm of the stock is not a wide, flat beavertail design, so a heavy scope will not balance well. No question the the NXS is a great value for the money spent, but IMHO ot just doesn't seem to "settle in" on the lighter rifles. I would buy a high end Leupy and put the rest of your dollars towards a used Swaro bino or rangefinder.

i don't want to sound rude, but you don't have any business buying a scope of this caliber. when you get in the 2k price range,it's all about getting exactly what you want. not only a ballistic reticle, but which reticle, which turrets,ffp or sfp. after you shoot long range a while, you'll learn "which" of everything you asked in your first post. then you get a scope to match your style. right now get a 4-14 conquest or Sightron whatever. these scopes will always be a good scope for a big game rifle. then when you're ready in a couple years,get that 2k scope that you want. again, sorry for sounding harsh.

The zeiss conquest will be very good for that rifle.
You can get the rapid z 800 reticle and target turrets and use holdover or dial , whatever method that is best for the situation you are in.
I've worked with the rapid z and it works, if you work with it.

Hey guys, I bought my first rifle, a Sako A7 in 7mm rm. Im kind of overwhelmed on what scope I should buy. I have $2100 to spend, and to me it's a huge purchase. (I don't plan on buying another scope of this caliber for a very long time) I have been researching scopes for a few months now, endlessly! Im to the point where I need to get one and start finding a sweet load.

I plan on using this scope for mule deer hunting in Wyoming this year, but Im thinking, I will get more use from it at the range shooting 300yd (possibly more) I would like to be confident in possibly shooting accurately out to about 600yd.

I almost bought on impulse the other day a z5 3.5-18x44 with the ballistic turret. Im not sure if a z6 would be better? I figured the z6 3-18x50 would be a well rounded scope, but Im not sure if the 2.5-15x56 is better (compared to the other z6 3-18) or how the z6 2.5-15x44 compares to the z5 3.5-18.

I know any of the above scopes are nice, but I really like the Zeiss Victory Diavari FL 4-16. It's more $$$ then I want to spend. And of course, you have Schmidt & Bender, which I know nothing about except they are up there too.

Im seriously thinking about getting a Swarovski, and Im thinking about getting a Swarovski ballistic turret, but not sure. I do like the simplicity of predetermined settings, but I only count 4. (guess it would be ok if it were zeroed in at 300) What are your thoughts on the BT. (remember Im no expert when it comes to doping, or optics)

What is preferred, a front focal plane or a secondary focal plane?

Another important question is given the above scopes and objectives, what scope mounts and/or rings should I get? I would be willing to pay around $125. I think the A7 came with weaver type mount.

How would you guys set up this rifle?

Thanks for being patient and taking the time to read this.

there's a zeiss victory diavari 4-16 T FL with a rapid z800 reticle on e-bay right now for 2100.00. There's your new scope you wanted.

Last edited:
Have you thought about Vortex. I've done a ton of research, and from what I understand they rival all the big names out there. You might ask XPHUNTER about the Razor HD. Just a thought.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.