1st VS 2nd Focal Plane Rifle Scopes

375rifleman

Question if one is not using the reticle for ranging purposes wouldn't a 2nd focal plane rifle scope be better ? Especially at long and extended ranges. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

FFP can have drawbacks when hunting at close ranges but at long ranges its very helpful . the reticle can be used at any given time for hold overs on target. you never have to worry if the power is cranked all the way up or not like you would on SFP

FFP can have drawbacks when hunting at close ranges but at long ranges its very helpful . the reticle can be used at any given time for hold overs on target. you never have to worry if the power is cranked all the way up or not like you would on SFP

Except if you are hunting small targets. The reticle gets so big it can cover the whole target.

I was thinking of target shooting at ~2000 yards/meters and long range hunting ~1000-1800 yards/meters with a 20 or 25 power on the high end of a variable power scope. If that changes anything. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

I would buy the best glass you can. and if it turns out to be a SFP or FFP either will do the job. but, usually in anything but the most expensive scopes, the SFP scopes will have better glass for the money. as for the reticle thing and blocking tgts on FFP scopes. well that just depends on the reticle. some are better than others.

What kind of problems with FFP for in close hunting especially woods?

The reticle becomes so small at lower power up close it's harder to see. Especially if your eyes are older like mine lol. The more you zoom in the bigger the reticle becomes. So look at it like this....imagine you have a 4-12 power first focal then when it's on 4 power the reticle from center point to first reticle point 1 moa away is so small you can't tell it nor the thickness is so tiny it's hard to see.

T
The reticle becomes so small at lower power up close it's harder to see. Especially if your eyes are older like mine lol. The more you zoom in the bigger the reticle becomes. So look at it like this....imagine you have a 4-12 power first focal then when it's on 4 power the reticle from center point to first reticle point 1 moa away is so small you can't tell it nor the thickness is so tiny it's hard to see.
Thats no good....a lot of my opportunities in thick woods are close on driven deer and target acquisition has to be quick and spot on...sounds like no place for FFP reticle.

Except if you are hunting small targets. The reticle gets so big it can cover the whole target.
Totally depends on reticle size. Same could be said for SFP scope reticles. FFP reticles cover the same amount of target at 5x or 25x. Since the reticle grows at the same rate as the target.

I disagree about FFP not having a place up close. A well designed reticle should take on a "cross" appearance at the lowest power setting. Similar theory to how an EOTech works - don't focus on the dot in the middle, focus on the cross outside the circle. Don't try to look at the detail, focus on the full X and put it over the target.

I prefer duplex reticles for situation where ranging isn't needed, typically those are SFP. But FFP vs SFP doesn't seem like the real question here, seems like the focus should be on the appropriate magnification and reticle. Close hunting, get a 1-6 with an illuminated dot in it. Carrying a 7-35x FFP scope with a fancy reticle is already a bad decision not because of the FFP or the reticle, but because you really need 2x or even 1x magnification at the bottom end if you realistic hunting range is 200 yards or closer. Even more so if "close" could be 50 yards or less.

Leopold makes the FireDot duplex in the VX-3HD series and that sounds like the solution here. Good glass for low light, illuminated red dot at the center of a duplex reticle, low bottom end magnification, good top end for out to 200 yards.