1st vs 2nd Focal Plane Scopes...

CB11WYO

Would somebody like to explain the difference here. I mean we know one keeps the reticle the same "size" as viewed by the shooter and the other doesn't but which is which??

FFP the reticle grows in size and proportion with the target as the power of magnification is increased.

SFP the target grows in size and the reticle stays thin as the power is increased.

Jeff

And the subtensions on the ffp scopes are the same at any power setting, but are set for one power setting on sfp scopes.

Thanks Broz, so now who offers scopes with FFP reticles?

There are several that do, but the only ones I have actually used and owned are the Vortex Viper PST's. I love mine, I have a 4-16 on a 7WSM and the 6-20 on a 6x47 Lapua. Great scope for the money and awesome customer service.

It is not just the reticle that allows this. It is in the mechanics of the scope and where the reticle is located in the scope.

Many mgf.'s offer the option of FFP. Expect to pay a considerable larger price for FFP's. In some cases on high end scopes up to $1000 or more.

That is all the advice I can honestly give you on them. The FFP's I have tried I hated for my type of shooting and taste and offed them. So there are better people on here to guide you to what you are looking for in FFP's.

One more thing. I would think it would be time well spent to go to a range and find a FFP to look through and sight on targets with before you buy. Make sure to look at the visibility of the crosshairs on lowest power and also how much target they cover on highest power. Maybe locate a shooter from this site that is close to you that would let you look through one and see the functions in real life. That way you will have some first hand info before you spend the $$

Good Luck!

Jeff

And the subtensions on the ffp scopes are the same at any power setting, but are set for one power setting on sfp scopes.

Thanks BadDog,

This is of course something I've read about but let go in one ear and out the other since I have never used a drop compensating reticle, I just dial up the turret and pull the trigger. :) I've recently started looking into it though, thanks for the input.

Pretty much all of them from Bushnell to USO. I have both SFP & FFP scopes. For an ELR rifle I see little to zero advantages of FFP. For a guy shooting a tactical match or in a hunting position where quicker shots & varying distances are the norm (think hold overs here) they are almost irreplacable.

For a guy shooting long range or ELR, more often than not your intended critter has no idea you're even there. You have time to go prone, get distance to the target, measure wind, pull your dope, set your turrets & wait for your shot. Not exactly what you would call expedient.:D You will have plenty of time to ensure your scope is cranked to the correct power.

On the other hand, you never have to worry about what power the scope is set to. If you use hold overs as I did this year (more for curiosity than anything else), FFP can be a pretty important factor. You are engineering out the human factor at that point, it's impossible to be on the wrong power.

Vortex offers FFP (MOA & MIL)
Bushnell offers the HDMR's (probably the best bang for your buck in FFP)
Leupy offers the ER/T line (I used the MK4 M5-A w/TMR this hunting season)
NightForce offers the F1 (discontinued)
NightForce Offers the Beast (very spendy)
Premier Heritage
S&B
US Optics (I just bought one of these in IPHY).

The selection grows by the month is seems. It comes down to a question of application. Which fits your needs best?

Like I said, I use both: from Luepy to NightForce to USO. I feel they all have their place.

t

I prefer mil/mil and ffp.Weaver has a tactical line.So doe super sniper,class seems as good as my mark 4 and it has more field of view for less money + 10 mil one rev.I use mine for hold, same as dial up value. 5mil on my rifle gets me right to 825

I prefer mil/mil and ffp.Weaver has a tactical line.So doe super sniper,class seems as good as my mark 4 and it has more field of view for less money + 10 mil one rev.I use mine for hold, same as dial up value. 5mil on my rifle gets me right to 825

lightbulb I forgot the Weaver & SS lines... I don't have any experience with them but have heard good things. I seem to like Mil/Mil better, It just clicks for me. The problem I have with that is all of my shooting partners look at me like i'm speaking Klingon when I speak of Mil/Mil. :rolleyes: Makes it a PITA to be the odd ball :D I should be used to that by now....

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.