Votes: 34 23.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 23 16.2%

• Total voters
dogz, C'mon man 😁…….we can't be bringing that type of "HUNTING" scenarios onto the LRH forum.

Not everyone has many, many pounds of rifle and associated gear (heavy, stable shooting platform, heavy, very accurate range/angle/ wind reading device, a 15 + lb. rifle, ect. ect) , set-up on a hillside set-up as to cover the opposing ridge 1000+ yards distant to hunt with.

I'm not saying that that is not done by some, however, I believe that that type of LRH is a small group as compared to others attempting to take game at longer ranges!

IMO …… competing for fun at long range should involve a more realistic hunting scenario. I think that more folks would be inclined to participate, whereby improving their shooting skills and also realizing their limitations in the field as well. But, that's just me! memtb
I'm one of those guys with the 17lb hunting rifle set up with all my shooting tools on a flat spot shooting 600-1300 yards across a canyon. I would probably do pretty well with this gun.

My measurements for a gallon water jug was around 6.25" wide and 10" tall. I think I could do it with my 260 AI and my handloads. I'd hate to burn through 100 rounds proving it though. I'd rather be out there shooting chucks, yotes, and steel. Plus if I'm not using it for hunting I try to save that barrel for well beyond 600 yards.

Edit: I guess I should clarify, I try to take high percentage shots. If the wind is high when hunting then on big game I don't take the shot. If it's on vermin then I will. And if it's on steel I will to learn/ test my reads on wind. This test was built on the premise that a low percentage of hunters could make LR hits out to 600 yards. My argument is hunters don't take a LR shot depending on the conditions. at least I won't. The 100 round challenge doesn't allow picking your shots. Unless you do it on no wind/ low wind days.
Thanks for the measurements, we don't buy milk in gallon jugs anymore. I use paper plates for my shooting when I'm hitting the deck and doing it for time.

IMO, one of the best things about shooting in fugly weather (be it 20 below, 90 degree's, raining, snowing or Wyo windy) is that it teaches me when I should be shooting and when I should be watching and enjoying the game that's spotted.

I've come to a very enjoyable place in life where horns are fun to look at but aside from that they don't turn my crank anymore. IE. I can easily take a look at game and say to myself they win today:)

Go to a few F-class or Prone matches and take a gander at some of the top shooters' 600 targets. In my youth, I shot a few clean 600 yard NM prone targets. Those are true prone with sling, no bipod, no rests, etc.

With several of my varmint and smaller caliber LR rifles, I have shot 50 round days on the 600 yard marmot/ground hog target at out local range, and given we shoot P-dogs well beyond 600yds, well........

I will not even go into the BR/Varmint class guns..........

MR-1FCA – F-Class Repair Center for use at 600 yards on 37" paper Aiming Black (inches) Rings in white (inches)
Aiming Black (inches)
X ring ...................................3.00
10 ring ..................................6.00
9 ring ..................................12.00
8 ring ..................................18.00
7 ring .................................24.00
6 ring .................................30.00
5-ring..................................36.00

And just for fun and entertainment -

View attachment 551406
Shot by Bart Sauter in April 2018. IBS record.

I held the FClass National record for several years 600-52x ......that is 60 shots in the 6" ten ring and 52 of those went into the 3" X ring......That record has since been broke twice, currently it is 600-54x.
My personal best is 999-75X.....that's 99 shots out of 100 going into a 6" circle at 600 and 75 of them in a 3" circle.
Keep in mind this is with a 22lb Fopen rifle not a hunting rifle off a bipod and rear bag that you would normally see in the field.

I post this not to brag but as a perspective of what is realistic with top tier equipment. I would never say never, but 100 milk jugs at 600 with a typical hunting rifle is gonna be pretty slim pickins for most shooters.

The rifle I would use is a consistent shooter and holds 1/2 moa out a loooooooong ways, I am not sure it would hold 1/2 Moa for 100 shots however.... Jason

Jason brings up a great point...It would be interesting to see how many of the flame throwing throat eroding
thunder boomers would stay in tune over the course of the day with a 100 shot string.

I'm one of those guys with the 17lb hunting rifle set up with all my shooting tools on a flat spot shooting 600-1300 yards across a canyon. I would probably do pretty well with this gun.

I'm sure you could, and I do admire you guys that are so dedicated to that aspect of the sport.

However, except on this forum, you are part of a small group of hunters/shooters. The shooting that I proposed was for those of us mere mortals that hunt! memtb

Couple things to keep in mind in doing this drill is are you doing it with time on your side (IE, as much time as you need) and or in what is more than likely true public land time. True public land time meaning that you spot the game, decide if you want to take it, range it, hit the turf and drop the hammer as quickly as possible or else you'll lose your window. Being generous on the second option we'll give you 10 seconds to make a one round killing shot.

Just a thunk...

I held the FClass National record for several years 600-52x ......that is 60 shots in the 6" ten ring and 52 of those went into the 3" X ring......That record has since been broke twice, currently it is 600-54x.
My personal best is 999-75X.....that's 99 shots out of 100 going into a 6" circle at 600 and 75 of them in a 3" circle.
Keep in mind this is with a 22lb Fopen rifle not a hunting rifle off a bipod and rear bag that you would normally see in the field.

I post this not to brag but as a perspective of what is realistic with top tier equipment. I would never say never, but 100 milk jugs at 600 with a typical hunting rifle is gonna be pretty slim pickins for most shooters.

Jason brings up a great point...It would be interesting to see how many of the flame throwing throat eroding
thunder boomers would stay in tune over the course of the day with a 100 shot string.
I do agree on the point of using any "magnum" over a rapid 100 round string, but in reality, why would anyone?
Using my old 308 Palma or several others for 100 is very different that my 300RUM or 338's, but if there are no time limits involved in shooting the 100 round string, that would make things a little different. Though, I would never attempt such an ordeal with any of my larger magnums. I do have several hunting/varmint rifles that fall into the 12-15# range, so I am not talking about some 7 lb stalking rifle.

Thanks for posting your success, as it again shows what can be and is done routinely by dedicated shooters, good equipment and loads.

Last edited:
Couple things to keep in mind in doing this drill is are you doing it with time on your side (IE, as much time as you need) and or in what is more than likely true public land time. True public land time meaning that you spot the game, decide if you want to take it, range it, hit the turf and drop the hammer as quickly as possible or else you'll lose your window. Being generous on the second option we'll give you 10 seconds to make a one round killing shot.

Just a thunk...
There should be no time limit invoked. In a hunting scenario you have the option of not taking the shot, people who rush long range shots is how animals get wounded. If you are gonna make the shot make sure you've got everything squared away to make the shot.

I've done 150 rounds over 2 days with 30SM and the load shoots about the same at the end of it.

Ok, so for you you're comfy with taking all the time you need, I prefer to be on the animals clock:)

Both options would be fun to do. I'm more of a hunter/shooter than I am a hunter/sniper hence my vote for a clock. No right or wrong here, just different ways and that's what makes this all so interesting and fun. (at least for me)

Here is a screenshot pic of a 20 round + sighters (20 minutes max) 600 yard NM rules prone, AR-NM 223 loaded with 77gr Sierras. The MR-1 measures 6"-X ring and 12"-10.

1709831240759.png

With good dope and wind call in steady wind close to 70% ???. My rifle will do it, this target would be 2/5 hits on the left shoulder.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 25
Waiting on my Spina to arrive before I try

Let me remind y'all rookies

Want to hunt with my boss, then you have to prove to be accurate 20 out of 20 shots, or else he won't let you hunt at those distances.
He uses a beer can as his measure.
If you can hit 20 out of 20 beer cans at 100 yards, but not 200, then you're not allowed to hunt past 100 yards with him. His hunt, his rules. I don't miss at 100, 200, 300, 400, or 500 yards. I can usually get 20 for 20 at 600 yards, but not always. 700 well I am more like 14 out of 20, and at 800 yards, hit 5 to 11 most days, so call myself a 5 out of 20 shooter at 800. We don't shoot targets a lot here, usually an object, or beer cans. Personally I don't count my 100 yard shots as a hit unless i hit the particular letter printed on the can I was aiming for.