First 600 yard hit :)

matt_3479

Now i know you guys are all good shooters, and this is nothing but its something to me.

A month or so ago i picked up a varmint rifle. A bought a factory Remington 700 sps varmint and the other day put a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44mm.

After work yesterday the weather was terrible but I wasn't about to let that stop me from range work (backyard shooting). When we got set up for 100 yards, the wind and snow was blowing pretty hard. I didn't have time to reload so I brought 80 grain federal soft points which gave me on average about a 1 inch group. I could not do extensive testing due to the weather but so far I'm pleased. Just before we left, all the guys I went with wanted to try a 600 yard shot but we all ran out of targets so we set up a peice of ply wood with a single sheet of printer paper. Everyone got 3 shots to see who could hit it in those weather conditions. Snow, 15mph wind across an open corn field. There was my dad shooting a 270.win, his best friend with a 7mm mag and my neighbor with his 308. Win and myself with the 243.win. Due to me being the youngest at 17 they all decided to make fun of the little gun I was shooting. Everyone doubted my shooting capabilities besides my best friend and my dad. I happened to be the only person there to make the 600 yard shot on printer paper within 3 shots. It wasn't a good hit by all means but i hit it. I dialed in 12 moa when i believe the drop was suppose to be 12.15 or 12.25 moa. I still hit the paper and i was proud. When the weather gets better i will do some extensive testing and reloading to get more consecutive hits

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.