• 60-69%

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 23 16.2%

• Total voters
Yes It Is GIF

I shoot 600metre groups as a regular weekend thing with my F-class rigs…at a paper target.
I do not know how big or small your milk jugs are, our largest milk jugs here are 3 litres, and with the big side facing me I would be confident of a hit with only 4 of my rifles, none of which are truly 'hunting' rifles, they are precision long range rifles and aren't suitable for hastily made shooting positions. Cant is the biggest negative I have had to endure in my LR hunting experience, often a bi-pod is just not going to work in the terrain provided, so I am not gonna commit to putting a figure up on your poll, wind I can deal with, angle I can deal and rest positions I can deal with, but as soon as I'm out of my comfort zone, confidence diminishes.
It all rests on confidence…
I have used my Kimber 8400 Select in 300WM to take game in New Zealand at 600+ metres, no wind and steep angles using my daypack and a rolled up shirt as a rest, but I had all the time in the world to get it right and get comfortable, the animals were oblivious to our presence, so the shots were easy.
I would not have the same confidence if I had to make a hasty shot without some prep at those ranges…

Cheers.

With a hunting rifle, whatever you actually hunt with.
I'd have to FIRST set up a Go Fund Me account to be able to afford to try it with my SML. H4895 and Pittman bullets ain't cheap. 😐 I'd be confident out to 400 yards which I regularly shoot, but that's my "nature imposed" limit around my neck of the woods. My confidence would drop sharply on anything much further having not been able to practice it first.

Ok, so for you you're comfy with taking all the time you need, I prefer to be on the animals clock:)

Both options would be fun to do. I'm more of a hunter/shooter than I am a hunter/sniper hence my vote for a clock. No right or wrong here, just different ways and that's what makes this all so interesting and fun. (at least for me)
See that's where I disagree, there is no clock. If you aren't 100% ready and comfortable to take the shot there is absolutely no requirement to do so, do not rush it, that's how animals get wounded unnecessarily.

Usually you'll get another opportunity, that's some of the benefit doing it long range, you typically don't spook the animal into running off.

Using slow motion on a camera to try spot impacts on a exploding jug is one thing, spotting the same, even prone through your scope another.
In wind, you'll never notice a pattern of encroaching on one side or the other, or low or high if your ranging is off slightly. First indication will be a miss.

If this was painted steel, many could do it, milk jugs, very few will go 100%.

Shooting 100 Rounds thru, My .270 WSM Elk, Rifle w/ 140's @ 3,200 FPS ( Or, the Marine's, .300 Win. Mag. ) IS around, 10 Percent of it's, Barrel LIFE,.. Fudge,. THAT ! That's WHAT,.. 6.5 Creedmoor's,.. ARE,.. FOR !

With Our "Bigger" Game, Rifles, around 15 to 20 Shots, a Day at, 10 inch dia., Steel Practice ( Various Ranges and Positions ) ARE, "Enough" to, keep Our Family,.. IN, Hunting accuracy,.. "Tune" with, 4 to 5 Trips to, the Hills,.. EVERY Year.
We also Shoot, .243's, 6.5 Creed's, 6 XC's, .223's and, lots of, .22 LR in Between, those SERIOUS,.. Practice Days.

Last edited:
There is NO WAY I could concentrate for 100 precision shots down range. If it were 10 shots, or maybe 20 shots, I feel I could do OK. Wind and ability to properly range the target would be important, (not as important as having someone's back to put my bi-pod on), but I don't think I would be able to manage much more than 20 rounds and I would want to stagger them for a uniform barrel heat. Would be fun to do with 2-3 buddies where we all read the wind and range, then alternate who goes first but all of us engage the same basic target. (4 jugs in a row at same distance 12 feet apart.)

Recent Posts