100 grain interlock in 243 on whitetail

15 or more years ago you'd have found some various 100Gr bullets on my loading bench... results then were spotty. Shortly there after the 85g Sierra Gameking HPBT came into our lifes and proved itself, and its the one and only .243 projectile thats been on my bench since. ( i lie, i think there are a few partitions with dust on them laying there for "just in case").

My experience with the 85 is a lot of click, boom, splat in the lungs, walk a couple yards, Die with gelatin for insides... Ive been really happy with it. Its accurate in all the 243s i own. It doesnt have to be loaded long so it works in lots of mag lengths. Theres plenty more plus' .

I loaned a rifle to my sister for a hunt and she took a doe. I excitedly called her shortly after and she said "I think i want to use a little more gun next time" this kinda baffled me because she had meat on the ground...when asked why , and how the deer reacted to the shot she said "Well , i shot it in the lungs like you told me too... it hunched at the shot (impact is visible with this rifle haha) , jogged 15 yrds and collasped"... again im shaking my head because thats what we want, right? Anyways, not everyone is a .243 shooter.

Im not personally a huge .243 shooter , but my dad was a fanatic, so i get his rifles out every year and use them succesfully on a critter, because i think thats how any outdoor raised son should show remembrance and reverence to thier outdoor father... and every time, its that dang Sierra 85gr Gameking BTHP .

Heck i might try some ballistic tips this year. :rolleyes:

Was the OP using the 100 gr btsp. or the flat back 100 gr sp ? The flat back bullet is a good deer bullet. Nuttin wrong with that A-MAX either. Great BC on that bullet for the money.

I would use nothing but the Sierra 100 gr. G.K. if your hunting deer with a .243. I've used all types of bullets on deer and in all different calibers and to present day I'll only use Sierra G.K. bullets for deer hunting.

I chuck hunt with a 243 all summer but it goes back in the safe when the summers over. I go to my 308 or 270 when in the hills for deer. The last time I shot a deer(dbl lunger) w/a 243,a nice 8 pt...someone else got it.

I have used 100 gr nosler partitions, for probably the last 20 years. Hand load my own. completely satisfied. If you make an accurate shot , I like heart lungs , they will be down in 100 yards, or less. If you go for the neck or shoulder, you won't have to look for them. Quite often you will find the bullet , under the skin on the other side.

I use the 243 in open country only, don't consider it to be a brush gun, that is for 30 calibers. old243

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.