243 for whitetails

Great calibre, my hunting partner for the last 45 years had open heart surgery and his wife bought him a .243 SAVAGE, I was not to keen to the scope but its good for him.
4 weeks after surgery he shot a big doe and it sat down and died. the second went stiff as a board and fell over.
In my book its an A1 calibre.
great decision mooser.

I agree with the deadly performance of the .243. I used one for years on whitetails. I have had amazing performance out of the 80-85 gr bullets many different types. My daughter used the 85gr fusion this year on a big healthy 4X5 whitetail and he dropped like he had been pole axed. GREAT CHOICE on the .243....

I grew up with a 243. Over the years I've had excellent luck with the Hornandy 100gr btsp they hit like a truck for deer and coyotes. I've tried loads from most manufacturers with my Rugers, for me the best accuracy and consistent performance on animals has been with hornandy 100gr btsp and 95gr sst. I've killed multiple deer with both loads, my favorite was the hornady light mag from several yrs ago, they were 100gr interlocks and deadly!!! I still shoot the 100gr load today, I've killed deer from 30-300yd with them and never had an issue with penciling through or a shallow wound. Looking back of the three deer that did more than flop at the shot I've only had one run more than a few steps and crash, that was on a 360yd shot and she ran to the bottom of the hill about 60yds. It was a very steep hill...lol I've made neck, head and double lung broadside as well as slightly quartering to and from shots with them never for a second felt under gunned or had any hesitation. There's a nice 9pt on my wall that will testify to the abilities of this bullet. He was shot at maybe 30yds walking, as he passed under my stand. He was beginning to quarter away, bullet hit high shoulder on the left side blew through both lungs and his heart and actually lodge right under the skin on the far side, it had fully mushroomed out and absolutely juiced all the soft tissue in between. If there's a testimate to the consistancy and killing ability of a bullet that's it, hands down it did it's job. He hit the ground like a rock his feet kicked twice and that was it, this deer was about 220lb field dressed he was a tough old buck.
The 243 is an excellent choice and with the right load will efficiently kill deer at distances further than most people should be shooting. If you tuck a 100gr interlock behind the shoulder of a deer it's game over. They might not drop on the spot, but I assure you they won't run far and you'll have a blood trail a blind guy could follow.

Last edited:
I shoot deer with a 6mm Rem so about the same as 243 Win. The truth is deer just are not that hard to take down shoot 100 gr with good results. I also use a 22-250 AI with 80gr A-max with very good results. I shoot deer with a 6.5x 55 BJI and it works very well. I use my 30-06 on deer and it also works well. I have even shot deer with my 300 RUM and guess what, it also works very well.
Killing deer it just not that hard , people stop over thinking this, there are lots of things that can go wrong when you try and kill a deer but having the wrong bullet out of the wrong gun is way down the list.

I havent shot many deer with the 243 but have shot a load of them with the 6mm and anymore about the only two bullets i use are the 100 sierra pro hunter and the 100 nos bt and will say without hesitation that any deer hit in the boileroom with either of those bullets out of my 6mm gets put in the freezer the next day.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.