Couple of WV Whitetails

Skidro

Hunted Tuesday with my 15 yr old daughter. My dad took my son. We hunted in the rain off an on all day. Deer have not been cooperating with the long range game so we had to go to the mountain & caught this one chasing a doe. She made an excellent shot 150 yards through the woods with not to many openings to see that far. Shot in front shoulder 95 grain Berger Hunting VLD from stock savage 243. No exit destroyed offside shoulder Jello internals DRT.

Wed I made a drive through a laurel patch to my father & my 10 year old son, small 8 point doubled back. I shot him at 100 yards high shoulder with Custom 243 105 gr Berger Hunting VLD DRT.

Thursday no shot opportunities
Friday no shot opportunities

Sat. my son shot a 7 point bedded along river near our house.240 yards shot in neck with 105 Berger Hunting VLD DRT. I normally would have never spotted this deer without my recently purchased Vortex HD binoculars.

Attachments

• 015_opt.jpg
    015_opt.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 031_opt.jpg
    031_opt.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 75
Man that is awesome.... I am in Wa State I am from WV tho I am headed back next week for muzzleloader season so my daughter can hunt with my dad. I grew up hunting in the mountains in Tucker and Randolph county. I have been in WA for over 20 yrs I retired from the military here and decided to stay but boy do I miss hunting back home. Thanks for the pictures I cant wait till next week......

Very nice deer for WV. Great job. Where in WV do you hunt. I hunt mostly in Kenna and Sissonville. I've got trail cam pics of several nice buck at my farm and house , I just can't lay eyes on them. I did take a management buck off the farm Wednesday. It was 3-1/2 years old but very poor genetics. About 15" inside spread with 3" tines on one side and 4" on the other. Shot was 200 yards through the woods with my 6.5-284 Norma. Deer ran 40 yards and fell dead. The Berger 140 vld did its job. Again nice job. Great deer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 87
Hardy county. Very cool. My dad has told me stories many times of when he was a boy there were no deer around here, Kanawha county. They had pretty much been hunted to extinction here. In fact one story is of when he was walking home from school and found some deer tracks and ran all the way home to tell his dad and his dad didn't believe him. But somehow they managed to buy some property in Hardy county and would drive there to deer hunt every year.

Yes it is an artic cat prowler. I like it fairly well. It has its short coming as it seems nearly all buggies do. The biggest drawback I have seen on ours is fasteners coming loose. Over the last few years I have either loctited or replaced nearly every bolt it seems. Other than that it seems to function fine mechanically. It is a little cold natured in the fact that it starts fine but seems like the choke lets off too soon and the engine will want to quit at idle speed for a short spell until the engine warms up. Then it is fine. Honestly I have not drove a buggy that I do like really well. They all seem to have their own downfalls.

Wow. Sounds like a .243 and a VLD can really get it done! Some really nice shooting there. Thanks for sharing this.

What twist is your stock savage that you are shooting the 95 vlds from?? My 243 has a 1:10 20" barrel and I could get it consistent with them. Get a good group then bad group. I will work with them more later.

I thiink her savage is 1:10 also. It likes them really well.
I also have a stock 700 BDL 1:9 1/4 that likes them really well also.
The Custom Brux barreled rifle that I shoot the 105's out of is a 1: 7.5

I believe all Savage .243 have been 9 1/4 twist for at least the last couple years. My wife has a Lady Savage in .243 and it is 9 1/4 twist. Shoots 105 A-Max with RL-22 incredibly well. Did a DRT on and antelope this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.