260 rem for whitetails

Ive used berger Vld for deer before, worked awsome
Maybe I'll give them a try next year. Now to find some load info
I use them in 6 Dasher and 25-06 for deer. They are devastating but you must put the bullet where it belongs. Usually won't get a pass through, so blood trails are a trickle to nothing. Killed a buck and doe this year with the 6 Dasher and BERGER HVLDS. Neck shot the buck, dropped right there. Shot the doe facing me in the chest. She made about 4 leaps and fell over.

I used a 140 gr Vld in my 264 win mag about 6 years ago, shot a decent 8pt whitetail at about 80 yds pole axed hI'm only deer I've ever shot that was lights out...not a step or nothing. Like they ssid, it was like he was hit by lightning

I picked up a 260 on a whim three years ago, started out using 120 GR Barnes TSX's and have also used 120gr Nosler ballistic tips. My accuracy load is 2950 at the muzzle. 8 whitetail down since all within 30 yards of where they were standing, if you can't get the 130's or 140's to group it'll still kill them

Igordee, forgive me for what may be a stupid question, I'm still pretty new to all this. What is a 6 dasher ?
It is made from a 6 BR by chambering with a 6 Dasher reamer and fire forming the brass. That process "blows" the shoulder further forward and creates more capacity for powder than a standard 6 BR. They have been extremely popular and successful in Long Range competitions. Several guys now switching to a 6 BRAI. Basically leaves the shoulder where it is but changes the shoulder angle by fire forming. I shoot 105 Berger's in mine.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I was very leary on the 260. I inherited the gun from my father in law.I used to have a 6.5 creedmoor. ..don't anyone take offense to what I'm going to say, I thought that was an inept ctg. In the state where I hunt, Wisconsin, when you see a deer you need to get your gun up and shoot NOW. There is no time dialing range on your scope or using a rangefinder, you need a flat fast shooting ctg for alot of places. I know in the videos they always shoot after 30 min of waiting for a good shot angle. I think in real hunting scenario you shoot any angle, although not a big fan of the Texas heartshot. Anyway my creedmoor dropped 4 inches between 100 and 200 yds, seems wrong to me. I might get another to try, but that's my 260 reasoning

Thanks for everyone's advice, I was very leary on the 260. I inherited the gun from my father in law.I used to have a 6.5 creedmoor. ..don't anyone take offense to what I'm going to say, I thought that was an inept ctg. In the state where I hunt, Wisconsin, when you see a deer you need to get your gun up and shoot NOW. There is no time dialing range on your scope or using a rangefinder, you need a flat fast shooting ctg for alot of places. I know in the videos they always shoot after 30 min of waiting for a good shot angle. I think in real hunting scenario you shoot any angle, although not a big fan of the Texas heartshot. Anyway my creedmoor dropped 4 inches between 100 and 200 yds, seems wrong to me. I might get another to try, but that's my 260 reasoning

Use the Barnes bullets and zero your rifle for 200 yards you won't be disappointed

My go to bullets for 6.5×55 are 125gr Nosler Partition and 123gr Hornady SST (2 different rifles) leaving at 2997fps average, most are bang flop but a couple have gone 20-30 FEET

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.