22 Creedmoor on whitetail...in a pinch.

Groot

What are all of your thoughts on a 22 creedmoor shooting heavy monos such as Barnes 77 grain LRX, 78 Grain TSX, or 70 grain TSX on the light end, pushed at 22 creed velocities 34-3500ish on whitetail deer

How about bullets such as 90-95 grain matchking and VLD variety? Around 31-3200ish

Not too long ago there was a HEAVILY debated thread for using a 22-250 on deer, but the majority of comments pertained to bullets sub 65 grain and I want to make it clear the projectiles in question are bullets nearing 80 grain and above. With that said..

What do ya think, Yay...so so...nay?

Would even a 300-350 yard maximum be a little too optimistic if it was suitable?

I would like to put together a 22 Creed or perhaps something else (hopefully soon) uses would be for mainly a fun gun for varmints (90% of the time) and occasional use on deer (10% of the time) when I'm not using my 270.

What are all of your thoughts on a 22 creedmoor shooting heavy monos such as Barnes 77 grain LRX, 78 Grain TSX, or 70 grain TSX on the light end, pushed at 22 creed velocities 34-3500ish on whitetail deer

How about bullets such as 90-95 grain matchking and VLD variety? Around 31-3200ish

Not too long ago there was a HEAVILY debated thread for using a 22-250 on deer, but the majority of comments pertained to bullets sub 65 grain and I want to make it clear the projectiles in question are bullets nearing 80 grain and above. With that said..

What do ya think, Yay...so so...nay?

Would even a 300-350 yard maximum be a little too optimistic if it was suitable?

I would like to put together a 22 Creed or perhaps something else (hopefully soon) uses would be for mainly a fun gun for varmints (90% of the time) and occasional use on deer (10% of the time) when I'm not using my 270.

I've only shot one deer with a 22-250. Fork horn whitetail literally dropped in his tracks at 410 yards from a 75gr Amax launched at 3200 fps. I'm sure the .22 Creedmoor would be that and more.

John

64gr Hammer at 3600fps...22-243.
IMG_20180928_160746339.jpg
IMG_20180928_160751308.jpg

All sounds very encouraging!! Does anyone have any experience with the heavier Barnes bullets in general?

Seen two taken here in north texas, one was 80 vld match bullet at 150 yds or less and drt, liquified chest cavity, small exit was a fragment, another was taken with my rifle with a 75 amax @ 3650, broadside exit out side rib, lungs and heart were toast, believe the shot was from around 200 yds , both were decent size bucks, and both were drt no more than 10 feet from impact, alot of animals taken with 22-250 at questionable distances but the 22's and soft shot placement are pretty effective on white tail, anything under 300yd seems to be the ticket, very little blood trail is left behind on deer unlike a soft skin coyote were exit holes are the size of a boot!

I shoot 4 deer this year with my 22 Creedmoor shooting 75gr Berger VLD at 3550. I shoot high shoulder and they drop in their tracks! I own lots of rifles but this has become my favorite rifle by far to shoot. I shoot hogs, coyotes, fox, deer ????? I have already started on my second 22 Creed build with a Carbon Proof barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.