300WM on Whitetail / Muleys

mwkelso

For the guys who use the 300WM on the smaller animals, what bullets have you found to have good performance?
I love the way the Nosler ABLR's work out of my .270. However, for where I'm hunting this fall I would like to have something a little heaver and less influenced by wind at ranges beyond 600yds.

We have shot a few white tails with the 208gr. Hornady ELD Match from 50 yards out to 600 yards and they have performed well for us. The 215 Berger Hybrid is the next bullet I'll be testing. Many many guys have had excellent results with it out of .300 Win Mags and other big 30s.

I have used a 300 WM for several game animals. They are so easy to shoot and easy to load for.
Agreed, they're a great caliber. What bullets worked for you on smaller animals, such as deer, and had good terminal performance without a non-expanding pass through?

I'm shooting a 300 wby @ 3320 fps with a 210 berger. Works great on deer. 212 ELDx work well but don't group as well in my rifle.

At impacts above 2800 FPS pass throughs are 50-50 at best. 2800-1900 fps impacts performance is ideal. The ABLR is much softer than either the elds or bergers.

I'm shooting a 300 wby @ 3320 fps with a 210 berger. Works great on deer. 212 ELDx work well but don't group as well in my rifle.

At impacts above 2800 FPS pass throughs are 50-50 at best. 2800-1900 fps impacts performance is ideal. The ABLR is much softer than either the elds or bergers.
Would the ABLR be at an advantage or disadvantage compared to the other two, in your opinion?

Would the ABLR be at an advantage or disadvantage compared to the other two, in your opinion?
Disadvantage at high impact velocity. Advantage at low impact. In my experience ablr expand great at 1500 fps. Nothing else I've shot does that

For the guys who use the 300WM on the smaller animals, what bullets have you found to have good performance?
I love the way the Nosler ABLR's work out of my .270. However, for where I'm hunting this fall I would like to have something a little heaver and less influenced by wind at ranges beyond 600yds.
Have killed many doe antelope with the 215's from a WM at 3063 mv from just under 100 yards to over 800 yards and never had to shoot one more than once. I have 3 WM's and run the 215 with H1000, Win brass, and CCI 250 primers for all of them. Groundhogs to grizzlies it's my go to. Out here in the west I want the best advantage for the wind I can get and that's usually the heaviest, highest bc bullets.

Have killed many doe antelope with the 215's from a WM at 3063 mv from just under 100 yards to over 800 yards and never had to shoot one more than once. I have 3 WM's and run the 215 with H1000, Win brass, and CCI 250 primers for all of them. Groundhogs to grizzlies it's my go to. Out here in the west I want the best advantage for the wind I can get and that's usually the heaviest, highest bc bullets.
Just to clarify, you're referring to the Berger's?

Yes, the Berger 215 Hybrid. If you want to read 70 pages of results using this bullet on game from a 300WM search this forum for a thread started by BROZ.

Yes, the Berger 215 Hybrid. If you want to read 70 pages of results using this bullet on game from a 300WM search this forum for a thread started by BROZ.
That's a good thread. I had forgotten about it until you just mentioned it here.
Thank you

That's a good thread. I had forgotten about it until you just mentioned it here.
Thank you
I live in Utah and hunt deer, elk and antelope every year in multiple states. Have killed them all from under 100 yards to over 800 yards. I only ever shot one more than once and that was the bull in my avatar. Shot him at 639 yards right in the crease behind the shoulder. He spun and ran 10 yards and stopped so I sent another since he was across a canyon from me. That one hit 4 inches from the first and dropped him in his tracks. Of the 20+ elk myself and my friends have killed with this bullet I've never seen one hit through the ribs run more than 75 yards. I've only ever recovered one bullet that pass through and that was last fall on an antelope doe that my friend shot through the chest head on. Recovered that bullet in the hip socket and it had 50% weight retention.

Last edited:
Another vote for the 215 Berger Hybrid. A buddy and I have taken numerous whitetail with this bullet from 50yds to 350yds, and the result has been the same every single time. Caliber sized entry with half dollar sized exits and massive blood loss. IMO the best all around bullet for the 300WM since I don't have to go through the time and expense of changing bullets when I get lucky and draw an elk tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.