22 Creedmoor on whitetail...in a pinch.

Actually its ok for deer in light cover out to 300 or so. I have a TTH and use it sometimes. I dont use it around our swamp.kills just like a .243 which i despise. I shoot 75gr Sciroccos at 3500 in mine.
Good feedback, despise it or not in some places (up until recently including where I live) .243 is minimum legal cartridge and caliber. I think that's actually one of the few sensible laws and have mixed feelings about seeing it scrapped here, because the line, arbitrary as it may seem, has to be drawn somewhere. But it is a fine line indeed - the .22 creed is waaaaay closer to a .243 than a .223. Probably indistinguishable in terminal effect when using heavy for caliber bullets.

22 Creed will do the job - I've got a 22-250 AI that I plan on slinging heavy bullets with. Should be perfect on whitetails does.

What are all of your thoughts on a 22 creedmoor shooting heavy monos such as Barnes 77 grain LRX, 78 Grain TSX, or 70 grain TSX on the light end, pushed at 22 creed velocities 34-3500ish on whitetail deer

How about bullets such as 90-95 grain matchking and VLD variety? Around 31-3200ish

Not too long ago there was a HEAVILY debated thread for using a 22-250 on deer, but the majority of comments pertained to bullets sub 65 grain and I want to make it clear the projectiles in question are bullets nearing 80 grain and above. With that said..

What do ya think, Yay...so so...nay?

Would even a 300-350 yard maximum be a little too optimistic if it was suitable?

I would like to put together a 22 Creed or perhaps something else (hopefully soon) uses would be for mainly a fun gun for varmints (90% of the time) and occasional use on deer (10% of the time) when I'm not using my 270.
Ive never had a problem with using a 22-250 on deer. I load 50 grain Speer tnt hp on top of 39 grains of H-380. Almost always a perfect mushroom from 80 to 429 yards. Deer either drop in their tracks or walk around in a small circle then lay down and expire dependent on the range. Heavy winter coyotes drop but always seem to get back up and giddyup for 50 yards.

I tried to build up load with a 55gr Barnes X-Bullet for my 223 to hunt Coues I would be confident with that to shoot an animal with 100lbs extra on it with the same load.

That Creedmore is beyond plenty.

I've shot plenty of fallow deer here in New Zealand with a .22-250rem and 55gr gamekings. When shot behind the shoulder (double lung) the .22-250 dropped them quicker than a .270. Seeing as fallow and whitetail deer are similar size a 22 Creed should produce similar results.

PS
.223rem also works well.

Yep, Dan is right we shoot hundreds of red deer and smaller deer species every year here in NZ with 22 centrefires.

my favourite is the 222, watch em drop!

4044A489-58F9-4D75-A942-14A22C048821.jpeg

With a heavier end Barnes bullet, good shot placement and reasonable range I would say more than plenty but if I had to choose a 22 Creed or my 338 win I take the 338

I run the Berger 80.5 fullbore at 3393 from a 22"/8tw and it flat out hammers critters. I would have zero hesitation with it on Antelope, Mule Deer or even well placed shots on elk under 300yds. The 80.5's are nasty.

Last edited:
Yep, Dan is right we shoot hundreds of red deer and smaller deer species every year here in NZ with 22 centrefires.

my favourite is the 222, watch em drop!

View attachment 188078
I watched a video the other day about the feral cat problem in Australia. Those guys were using a .308 to shoot basically house cats. Maybe you had better introduce your neighboring mates to the qualities of the 22 centerfires. Triple deuce has always been a favorite of mine. Shoot, I use a 17 Mach IV on coyotes around here. Plug the end of the case with a 25 grain V-Max - nice, quite and does a good job.

Why not just use a caliber that you don't have to be concerned with?
I'd use a 22-250 any day with no concern at all. I've taken plenty of deer with one matter of fact about 30 years worth! Just for ***** and giggles I took my son to the blind this past season and his birthday 55 grain Remington psp, well make a long story short he fell asleep before a big fat doe came sneaking by. A simple 80 yard shot quartering toward us on the point of the shoulder and low and behold she collapsed in her tracks! Hmmmmm just like every deer I have shot with it. I know it's not the proper 6.5 or whatever anyone calls the proper deer cartridge!!!!! My boys will learn as I did. I've shot many deer with 25-06, 257 Weatherby, 300WSM 300wm 300wby 338 edge 280ai 243 6xc 257 Roberts 44mag 500 mag,460 mag 45colt 45acp. The "puny"22-250 worked just as well if not better than anything else! No concerns here! Oh yea 22 hornet, 222,223 and other incapable varmint rounds on deer. Just a bit of my input!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.