22 Creedmoor on whitetail...in a pinch.

Over time I have gravitated more to speed with copper bullets.

100gr ttsx out of a 257wby at 3600
110 and 125gr monos out of 308
185gr tax out of a 338win mag

Less recoil and I have found with copper bullets on thin skinned game rib hits are actually quite good and entry cavity wounds are often significantly bigger than exits. Copper bullets don't "blow up"

The only downside in my view is shorter effective range as the light for caliber bleeds energy faster and wind drift

I shoot deer with my .223 with 64 grain federal deer thugs. Your .22 creedmoor is significantly better. You'll be fine.

I shot my 224TTH for almost 10 years for everything from Prairie dogs-deer. My bullet 95% of the time was the 69gr MK. This was before the newer crop of high BC .224 bullets came out. It shot the 75gr A max great, but would not feed out of the magazine box because it was to long. Gun was built on a 700 short action with a 26" barrel. The last couple years I shot the 70gr Barnes X bullet at deer. The 69gr MK was 3650fps and the 70 X was 3750 using the same OAL and powder charge of RL19. I only had one deer ever move out of its tracks and it went 20 yards. Yes, it will work even better now than it did then with current bullets.

I bought a 22" proof barrel to build one, just haven't gotten it done yet. It'll run 80.5's....buddies have used them and they are nasty on deer.

It'll be anything but a Creedmoor :D

I am killing the heck out of white tail year after year out to 235 yards with 5.56 SMK 77gr at 2530 ish and .223 with 69gr SMK at 2750 ish. Even at 20 to 30 yards I have instant kills clean through shots and 50% bullet weight retention upon recovery of the projectiles. Very few deer went past 60 yards. I could not imagine pushing 80gr plus in the 3100 ball park. Would be awsome terminal ballistics and hydrostatic damage.

I'd use it on moose and polar bear.
Especially when they charge you!

But seriously, my old Wby Varmintmaster put the smack down pretty good on a few swamp donkeys with a 50 gran Barnes TSX out to 250 yards. I don't know anything about the 22 Creedmore but am inclined to think pushing similar projectiles at similar velocities could make for a successful harvest. I'll spare everybody the shot placement lecture.

What are all of your thoughts on a 22 creedmoor shooting heavy monos such as Barnes 77 grain LRX, 78 Grain TSX, or 70 grain TSX on the light end, pushed at 22 creed velocities 34-3500ish on whitetail deer

How about bullets such as 90-95 grain matchking and VLD variety? Around 31-3200ish

Not too long ago there was a HEAVILY debated thread for using a 22-250 on deer, but the majority of comments pertained to bullets sub 65 grain and I want to make it clear the projectiles in question are bullets nearing 80 grain and above. With that said..

What do ya think, Yay...so so...nay?

Would even a 300-350 yard maximum be a little too optimistic if it was suitable?

I would like to put together a 22 Creed or perhaps something else (hopefully soon) uses would be for mainly a fun gun for varmints (90% of the time) and occasional use on deer (10% of the time) when I'm not using my 270.
What are all of your thoughts on a 22 creedmoor shooting heavy monos such as Barnes 77 grain LRX, 78 Grain TSX, or 70 grain TSX on the light end, pushed at 22 creed velocities 34-3500ish on whitetail deer

How about bullets such as 90-95 grain matchking and VLD variety? Around 31-3200ish

Not too long ago there was a HEAVILY debated thread for using a 22-250 on deer, but the majority of comments pertained to bullets sub 65 grain and I want to make it clear the projectiles in question are bullets nearing 80 grain and above. With that said..

Would even a 300-350 yard maximum be a little too optimistic if it was suitable?

I would like to put together a 22 Creed or perhaps something else (hopefully soon) uses would be for mainly a fun gun for varmints (90% of the time) and occasional use on deer (10% of the time) when I'm not using my 270.
I am shooting the 73gr hammer hunter in a 22-47 lapua at 3380fps and it is working great it is not my go to deer rifle but we have been using it for culling and hog thumping with no issues as always it is shot placement make sure you have a fast twist barrel 6.5 to 7 I am running a 7 myself

Depends where you are I guess. West texas deer are not the deer of The northern tier. I guess if I was going to do it I would use the heavy schirroco. Or maybe a hammer. The regular monos don,t have much smack if you do not drive them through bone. My experience is this. I grew up with a 25/06 shooting heavy bullets. Real deer rifle. Then I though what the heck. I will try a 243. Not near as much gun. The 22 is smaller yet. A smith friend of mine in Montana said the guys there use the 50gr GMX and push them lightning fast. He said that kills pretty good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.